Johnny Lovewisdom (July 23, 1919 – October 12, 2000), born John Wierlo, and known as Hermit Saint Of The Andes, was an American-Finnish author who wrote about diet, health, natural living, religion and spirituality.
Early diet ideas
Johnny Lovewisdom originally promoted a strict fruit diet but later changed it to the "Vitarian" diet with vegetables, raw yogurt, clabber, kefir and avocado. Experimenting with many diets throughout his life, including a diet of papaya leaf salads with clabber, which he claimed healed an avascular tumor, he also promoted "Modern Live Juice Therapy", breatharianism (the idea that humans do not need food or water and can live on "spiritual energy" alone.), aquarianism (water fasting), heliovorism (solarism), and a number of other unusual "lifestyle" diets. He suffered from paralysis, poor eyesight and neurological problems, which he claimed to be a result of working as a farm laborer in the pesticide contaminated orchards of California.
In 1938, he made plans to emigrate to South America to avoid being conscripted as a soldier in World War 2. In 1944 a U.S. newspaper article reported how in 1940 a group of young Americans including Lovewisdom and the Windish family of Marian, James, Dick and Fred set out to found a nature colony in the equatorial forest. The article, which was to be titled Father Of The New Age, depicted Lovewisdom as the biological father of the new age and race, even though he wanted nothing to do with the scheme. The reporter later changed the title to Danger In Paradise. There were two previous articles, Dec.,1942, and May,1943. In those, he mentioned Marian Windish grew up with her brothers in White Pigeon, MI.Their farm was sold in 1940 to John W. Boughan. They moved to Florida.There, Marian Windish met Walter Siegmeister at her college.He told her of his dream to make a super-race who worship the sun. When Walter Siegmeister met Lovewisdom in Ecuador in 1941, they spoke of plans for creating a paradisian utopia and a super-race in the Ecuadorean jungle, but Lovewisdom later stated that he only wanted to begin what he called a Propitiatory Shelter For The Apocalyptic Camp of the Saints.
In the 1960s, Lovewisdom lived as a hermit in the mountain crater lake, Quilotoa, in Ecuador, which he felt would shield residents from nuclear fallout. This was further documented in Lovewisdom's book Ecstatic Recreation Thru Paradisiacal Living where he invited 'paradisians', to build a 'camp of saints' in Quilotoa.
An article about Vilcabamba - an 'island of immunity' from cardiovascular disease, in Reader's Digest ignited Lovewisdom's interest, besides its abundant fruit varieties, so he moved there from Otavalo in the north of Ecuador. Dr. David Davies of University College London, and Dr. Alexander Leaf of Harvard University, both gerontologists, visited Lovewisdom due to his many articles on the longevity of the Vilcabamban people.
Lovewisdom believed himself to be the reincarnation of Ananda (the primary disciple of Buddha), Milarepa and John the Baptist.[unreliable source?] As the official successor to Kuthumi Lal Singh,[unreliable source?] Tashi Lama and Maha Chohan, he founded the International University of Natural Living at Vilcabamba, Ecuador in 1962 with its credo "build paradise and eat the fruits thereof" and correspondence school which issued the degree 'Doctor of Vitalogical Science' or D.Vit.Sci., and Ph.D in Philosophy and Agronomy. He founded the "Pristine Order of Paradisian Perfection", a religious order, which was registered with the Ecuadorean government, and later founded the International University of the Vitalogical Sciences.[unreliable source?]
The early 20th century nature cure movement inspired authors such as George R. Clements, Walter Siegmeister, Theos Bernard and Johnny Lovewisdom. Siegmeister told of his search for the safest place on Earth from radioactive fallout in order to build a paradise, an idea later developed by Lovewisdom in Handbook on Radioactive Nuclear Fallout. Lovewisdom's many beliefs were documented in Viktoras Kulvinskas' Survival Into The 21st Century in the 1970s, which sold over a million copies.
In 1998, near the end of his life, inspired by Spanish fruitarians who visited him, he returned to promoting a strict juicy fruitarian diet, which he called the "Vitarian Fruit-Salad Diet", described in The Ascensional Science of Spiritualizing Fruitarian Dietetics (1999). His low fat stance was also corroborated by Dr. Corwin Samuel West of the International Academy of Lymphology, Dr. Douglas N. Graham who warned against high raw fat diets[unreliable source?], Otto Carque  and Arnold Ehret.[unreliable source?] Johnny Lovewisdom returned to living food, lacto-vegetarian diet after failing to thrive on a strict fruit diet. Lovewisdom died in Quito, aged 81.
Lovewisdom produced many books in English and Spanish on breatharianism, fasting, fruitarianism, natural hygiene, naturopathy, orthopathy, parthenogenesis, vitalism, yoga traditions, aquarian eugenics and ascensional science. Further topics included: anthropology, clairvoyance, body chemistry, comparative anatomy, geophysical changes, lemurian genesis, neuro-cerebropathology, organiculture, plant botany, tropical colonization and esoteric dietetics in religion, history and metaphysics. From the 1990s, Lovewisdom's books were published by Paradisian Publications, San Francisco.
- Spiritualizing Dietetics: Vitarianism (also called Vitarianism: Spiritualized Dietetics), where he promoted a raw food diet called Vitarianism, which included raw fruit, raw yogurt and vegetables.
- The Buddhist Essene Gospel of Jesus explains John the Baptist's fruitarian diet as written in the original Syriac Peshito Scriptures and handed down through the centuries, through direct translation into English from the original Aramaic tongue spoken by Jesus and recorded by John. The translation showed how words in Aramaic lexicons, have dual or triple meanings, and how previous translators such as Edmund Bordeaux Szekely in The Essene Gospel Of Peace, used imprecise definitions, ascribing a biogenic diet to John and the Essenes, instead of a frugivorous one (frugivorous means fruit, vegetables and a protein source which in John's case was grass-fed dairy products like yogurt and cheese). The 2004 edition featured a new Appendix entitled The Healing Transition Diet.
- The Ascensional Science Of Spiritualizing Fruitarian Dietetics, his penultimate book, where he promoted the juicy fruitarian diet which excluded fat-rich fruits.
- Truth About Healing, his final book, on diet and natural health, the problems of alternative medicine, and the dangers of nuclear fallout.
- Maitreya: The New Age World Teacher: The Lovewisdom Autobiography (2 Volumes). His life-story is chronicled in the autobiography Maitreya: The New Age World Teacher.
- Modern Live Juice Therapy.
- Vitalogical Hygiene.
- The Lovewisdom Message On Paradise Building.
- Mystical Anthropology.
Dr Teofilo de la Torre of Panama, critiqued Lovewisdom declaring nuts and seeds were optimal foods, though earlier advised against them, in the same book. Health writer Gabriel Cousens attributed Lovewisdom's health problems to B12 deficiency, although Lovewisdom attributed these to pesticides exposure and hospitals.
- A 5000 Year Worship Of A God Of Death, 1967
- A Brief Paradisian History Of The Buddhist Essenes
- A Cosmic Universal Order Of The Holy Life: A Cosmic Universal Conception Of Religious Living, 1947
- A God-Given Method Of Birth Control, 1960
- A Look In A Nook Of A Vitarian's No-Cook Book (with Ruth Marie Lovewisdom)
- A Master Course On Foodless Living
- A New Vitalogical Natural Living Or Vegetarian Version Of The Christian Bible
- Andean Home Of Humans
- Apocalyptic Camp Of Saints Handbook On Radioactive Nuclear Fallout
- Apostolate Of The Living Lovewisdom Message, 1977
- Buddhist Essene Contemplatives Of Paradisians
- Caravan Books/Caravaners Handbook, 1952, 1954
- Dietetic Science Of Chastity
- Ecstatic Recreation Thru Paradisiacal Living, 1959, 1977
- Equatorial Andean Home Of The Human Form, 1969
- Handbook On Radioactive Nuclear Fallout, 1999
- Heavenly Ecclesia Of The Living God In Aeonian Revivification & The Pristine Order Of Paradisian Perfection
- Heavenly Life Without Eating!, 1960
- How To Grow & Eat The Vitarian Fruit Salad Diet
- If You Like What We Write, Why Not Teach It
- Lessons From The Life Of Love-Wisdom: An Autobiography, 1962, 1945
- Live Juice Therapy, 1964
- Maha Maitreyana: Shambhala 1981, 1984, 1985
- Maitreya: The New Age World Teacher: The Lovewisdom Autobiography (1919–1985) Volume 1, 1977, 1978
- Maitreya: The New Age World Teacher: The Lovewisdom Autobiography (1919–1985) Volume 2
- Meditation, 1999
- Modern Live Juice Therapy, 1962, 1964, 1973, 2000s
- Mystical Anthropology Constituted As A Fundamental Vitalogical Science
- Mystical Anthropology, 1979
- Never Sick, 1959
- New Vitaological Natural Living Version Of The Christian Bible, 1967
- Nine Months In A Snake Pit, 1956, 1959
- Oh Sweet Mystery Of Life!, 1985
- Poignant Memoirs Of My Virgin Birth & Consequent Vocation In Life
- Powerful Muscular Strength Thru Fruitarian Continence In The Paradisian New Age
- Remedies For Re-Establishing Religious Relevancy, 1991
- Satya Sai Saba
- Search For Reality, 1960s
- Spiritualizing Dietetics: Vitarianism, 1950s
- The Ascensional Science Of Spiritualizing Fruitarian Dietetics, 1999
- The Buddhist Essene Gospel Of Jesus Volume 1, 2004, San Francisco: Paradisian Publications
- The Buddhist Essene Gospel Of Jesus Volume 2, 2007, San Francisco: Paradisian Publications
- The Buddhist Essene Gospel Of Jesus Volumes 1,2,3, 1994
- The Buddhist-Essene Connection, 1997
- The Healing Godspell Of Saint John: The Essene Therapeutics, 1978
- The History Of Naturistic Tropical Colonization, 1970s, 1964, 1967, 1952, Connecticut: OMango d'Press
- The Inescapable Book Of Life
- The Inner Rule Of Paradisian Perfection & How The Paradisian God-Spell Became The New Testament Bible Scripture, 1984
- The Inner Rule Of Paradisians, 1984
- The Keys To The Mysteries Of The Kingdom Of Heaven
- The Lord Made Flesh Dwelt Among Us
- The Lovewisdom Intuition: Unveiling The Divine Mysteries, 1992
- The Lovewisdom Message Of Paradise Building, 1976
- The Lovewisdom Message Of Paradise Building, 2006, San Francisco: Paradisian Publications
- The Order Of Paradise: Lessons From The Life Of Lovewisdom, 1945, 1962
- The Original Diet & Sin
- The Paradisian God Spell: The Syriac Peshito Scripture of the Nazarene Savior, 1982/1983
- The Pristine Order Of Paradisian Perfection, 1962
- The Reclamation Of The Garden Of Eden
- The Resurrection Seal Of Lovewisdom
- The Sacred Science Of Sexual Sublimation/Sacred Spiritualized Sex Science, 1972
- The Sacred Theology Of The Seven Churches Of Asia, 1972
- The Science Of Science: Vitalogy
- The Seven Churches Of Asia
- The Strictest Discipline On Earth: Paradisian Perfection, 1984
- The Sublime Theology Of The Heavenly Ecclesia Of The Essenes, 1998
- The Syriac Peshito Scripture Of The Nazarene Jesus
- Their Extremes Made Them Saints!, 1959
- Those Strong Powerful & Extraordinary Vegetarians, 1994
- Transcendent Truth Teachings, 1974
- Tropical Paradises & Colonization/Tropical Colonization History Of Naturistic Paradisian Contemplatives, 1952, 1984
- Truth About Healing, 2000
- Understanding Self-Realization Of Buddhahood & Christhood Thru Divine Wisdom
- Vitalogic Version Of The New Testament Bible
- Vitalogical Anthropology
- Vitalogical Healing & Hygiene Volumes 1,2,3, 1972, 1975, 1977, 1966, 1971
- Vitalogical Healing, 1971
- Vitalogical Hygiene, 1996, 1997
- Vitalogy, 1946
- Vitarianism: Spiritualized Dietetics, 1973
- Why Paradisian Contemplative Hermits Will Live Longer By Migrating To The High Andes Proven By Scientific Research, 1984
- Worldwide Lovewisdom Message, 1984
|This article lacks ISBNs for the books listed in it. (June 2015)|
- Actas De La Asamblea De La Junta De La Orden Pristina De La Perfección Paradisiaca De Loja Ecuador En Su Concurrencia De, 1984
- Compendio Ideológico De La Ecclesia Celeste De Dios Viviente En Revivificación Eoniana / Constitución De La Orden Prístina De Perfección Paradisiaca
- Copca Para Corregir / La Reclamación Del Jardín De Edén / Esos Fuertes, Poderosos Y Extraordinarios Vegetarianos!
- Curso De Antropología Vitalógica
- Declaraciones Sobre La Misione De Los Paradisiacos En El Ecuador
- Designios Celestes
- El Despertamiento De La Fe
- El Evangelio Del Señor Buddha Remedios Para El Restablecimiento De Relevancia Religiosa, 1991, 1996
- El Evangelio Esenio Buddhista De Jesús: Quitando El Velo De Los Divinos Misterios, 1993
- El Evangelio Nazareno Siriaco, Escrito En La Lengua Apostólica, La Orden Mística De Los Paradisiacos, Y Su Paraiso
- El Monte Chimborazo
- El Reglamento Interno De La Orden Pristina De La Perfección Paradisiaca De La Celeste Ecclesia De Dios Viviente En Revivificación Aeoniana, Y Su Celeste Jerarquía Superior
- El Tercero Volumen Del Evangelio Esenio Buddhista De Jesús
- Estudios Avanzados En Las Yogas Joanica Y Jñana, Contemplaciones Por El Corazón Y La Super: Mente, 1991
- Evangelic De Salud De San Juan
- La Auto: Realización De La Divina Sabiduria, 1992
- La Ciencia De La Dietica Espiritualizadora Para Lograr La Continencia Vitalógica, June 1996
- La Ciencia Dietetica De La Castidad
- La Experiencia De Samadhi Del Autor, Los Maestro De Las Himalayas, Un Guru Chquetero Y Sri Roma Krishna Paramhansa, 1991
- La Leyenda Del Buddha O “Buddhacarita” Escrito Por Asvaghosha Bodhisattva, 1992
- La Nueva Era Paradisiaca Vuelve A Yoga Para La Veraz Auto: Realizacion Divina: Le Vedanta, Los Upanishades, Yogo Jñana Y Jaanico, 1991
- La Orden Pristina De Perfeccion Paradisiaca
- La Primavera Silenciosa Por Rachel Carson
- La Sutra Muy Amplio Corazon De La Perfeccion De La Sabiduria Suprema
- Los Secretos De Longevidad En La Nueva Era Dorada
- Mensaje De Lovewisdom Sobre La Vocacion Paradisiaca / La Order Pristina De Perfeccion Paradisiaca
- Prospecto De La Universidad Naturista Internacional
- Quiere Ud. Ayudar A Moldear El Futuro Humano
- Quitando El Velo De Los Divinos Misterios
- Sukhavata Ashram Lamasary
- Superior Snedero De Yoga Budhista Mahayana Con Meta En Sambodhi, Y Lo De Bhagavar/N Sri Ramana Maharishi, 1991
- Terapia Moderna De Los Zumos Vivos: Una Aproximacion Veraz De La Medicina Botanica
- Textes Choices
- Un Santo En Los Andes
- Vida Joven Y Eterna
- Eternal Youth Life 1947-1985: The Lovewisdom Message For The Paradisian New Age The Northern Pontifical Academy (Journal Compendium). Journal restarted 1996.
- Eternal Youth Life 1982: The Syriac Peshito Scripture Of The Nazarene Savior
- International University Of Natural Living (Article)
- International University Of Natural Living Sciences Of Man, 1978 (Catalog)
- International University Of Natural Vitalogical Sciences (Catalog)
- Universal Spiritual Union (Article)
- Vitalogical Food Class Chart (Chart)
- Paradigm Of The Pristine Order of Paradisian Perfection (Catalog)
- American University Of The Natural Vitalogical Sciences (Catalog)
Articles on Lovewisdom
- Johnny Lovewisdom: Hay Partido, Dr Cesar Davila Gavilanes
- Johnny Lovewisdom: Vive Todavia Con Nosotros, 1989, Dr Cesar Davila Gavilanes
- En Maternas/Materias Sanatonas Del Doctor Johnny Lovewisdom, Dr Cesar Davila Gavilanes
- En Yoga Y Cristianismo, 1988, Dr Cesar Davila Gavilanes
- Rose, Joel (1985). The Vegetarian Connection. Facts on File Publications. p. 21. ISBN 978-0-8160-1003-5.
...proponent of the vitarian way of life is Dr. Johnny Lovewisdom, the Hermit Saint of the Andes, ...
- Amsden, Matt; Amsden, Janabai (2013). The Rawvolution Continues: The Living Foods Movement in 150 Natural and Delicious Recipes. Simon and Schuster. p. 118. ISBN 978-1-4516-8702-6.
...led Lovewisdom to South America where he became known as the Hermit Saint of the Andes.
- "After several years of dressing salads, often having nothing but papaya leaves for greens, an avascular tumor I had size of an egg was expelled without returning on my neck, using clabber thus.", A Look In A Nook Of A Vitarian's No-Cook Book, Johnny and Ruth Marie Lovewisdom, International University Press, Loja, Ecuador, 1963
- Skeptics Canada: Skeptical Topics: Breatharianism
- John Brandi in Reflections In The Lizard's Eye: Notes From The High Desert, Western Edge Press, 2000, 1889921084, 9781889921082, 190 pages
- Introduction to Handbook on Radioactive Nuclear Fallout, Dr. J. Lovewisdom
- J. M. Sheppard, The American Weekly, 31 December 1944 edition.
- http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienciareal/invisible_eagle/invisible_eagle07.htm "The new Utopia, however, was not to be: Wierlo later claimed that he had no intention of creating a super-race"
- http://www.mundoandino.com/Ecuador/Vilcabamba-Ecuador Mundo Andino Article
- "This strange lake in this forsaken solitude of the Andes, shut off from all else by steep crater walls, provided only by a tongue of fertile land, and lost in a miracle of suggestive and exotic panorama, was sought and chosen by this strange personage to be converted into his sanctuary.", A Message Of Peace By One Who Lives In A Volcano, Mundial, Uruguay, June 7th, 1949, Miguel A. Puentes, Quito, Ecuador
- Viktoras Kulvinskas, Survival Into the 21st Century, Ihopea Inc, 1970s
- http://www.human-academy.com/english/articles/panchen_lama_part_2.asp The return of the world teacher - Johnny Lovewisdom – The Hermit “Saint” of the Andes
- http://www.human-academy.com/english/articles/panchen_lama_part_2.asp The return of the World Teacher - Johnny Lovewisdom – The Hermit “Saint” of the Andes
- http://www.human-academy.com/english/articles/panchen_lama_part_1.asp The return of the World Teacher - Johnny Lovewisdom – The Hermit “Saint” of the Andes - part 1
- http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienciareal/invisible_eagle/invisible_eagle07.htm Invisible Eagle, "There he met a friend, John Wierlo, who had moved from America the previous year, and together they conceived the idea of creating a new Utopia and a 'super-race' somewhere in the jungles in the east of the country."
- Corwin Samuel West, The Golden Seven Plus One[unreliable source?], Utah: Samuel Publishing
- Rational Diet: An Advanced Treatise on the Food Question, Otto Carque, Health Research Books, 1996
- ""All fats are acid forming, even those of vegetable origin, and are not used by the body. You will continue to like, crave and use them only as long as you can still see mucus in the 'magic mirror'. What doctors call heat calories is caused by the fats in friction, obstruction in the circulation; they constipate the small blood vessels.", 'page 164, Mucusless Diet Healing System, Arnold Ehret, USA: ELPC Inc, 1923
- The Ascensional Science of Spiritualizing Fruitarian Dietetics, Johnny Lovewisdom, Paradisian Publications, 1999 final chapter: Why Not Avocadoes, Olives & Seed Oils For Salads? page 40, and, epilogue: Fats & Oils Turn Up As The Key Factor For Middle Age, Elderly And Even Many Young Fruitarians Unable To Synthesize Fat From Fruit Sugar, page 41.
- The Process Of Physical Purification Through The New And Easy Way To Fast, Teofilo de la Torre (1954)
- Spiritual Nutrition, Gabriel Cousens, page 278.
- Modern Live Juice Therapy, J. Lovewisdom, International University of the Natural Vitalogical Sciences, 1954
- Nine Months In A Snake Pit, J. Lovewisdom, International University of the Natural Vitalogical Sciences