|Born||Johnny Lozada Correa
December 21, 1967
Caguas, Puerto Rico
|Occupation||TV host, actor, singer|
Lozada was a member of Puerto Rican boy band Menudo during its golden years, joining the group in 1980 until early 1984. After leaving Menudo, he formed Proyecto M with Rene Farrait and Xavier Serbiá, who were Menudo alumni as well. After the dissolving of Proyecto M, Lozada took on acting participating in several Latin telenovelas. In 1998, Lozada and other former members of Menudo received an invitation from Ray Reyes and formed El Reencuentro, to reminisce the years they had spent with Menudo. The concerts proved to be a success, and the tours extended for several years.
Family and early life
Recording and acting career
Lozada joined Menudo at the end of 1979, replacing original member Carlos Meléndez. Lozada spent the next four years with the group. During that time, he participated in albums like Más, Mucho Más (1980), Fuego (1981), Quiero Ser (1981), Por Amor (1982), and A Todo Rock (1983), among others. He also starred in the telenovelas Quiero Ser and Es por Amor, both based on the group. Finally, Lozada acted in the films Menudo: La Película and Una Aventura Llamada Menudo.
During this time, the group enjoyed success in all of America. According to creator, Edgardo Díaz, this installment of the group "opened a lot of doors in Latin America, and was very strong". Among their achievements are four sold-out concerts at the Madison Square Garden in 1983, and record-breaking concerts in Brazil with an audience of 200,000 in Sao Paulo and 100,000 in Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte.
Lozada was considered the most emotional of the group, and his hits with the group included the classic "Clara", "Mi Banda Toca Rock", and "Señora Mia".
Solo career and Proyecto M
Lozada was signed by RCA and recorded two solo albums: Johnny and Invítame. This last album was nominated for Best Latin Pop Album at the 27th Grammy Awards, alongside José Feliciano, Plácido Domingo, José José, María Conchita Alonso, and Menudo themselves.
In 1986, Lozada participated in a campaign to encourage youth abstinence from sex, in which he recorded two duets ("Cuando Estemos Juntos" and "Détente") with Tatiana and music videos for them. This received much publicity in Latin America and even in the United States, where it was the subject of a report by John Stossel on 20/20.
In 1987, Lozada joined former Menudo alumni Rene Farrait and Xavier Serbiá in the group Proyecto M. The group enjoyed some success in Latin America and was invited to participate in the telenovela Alba Marina, alongside Venezuelan singer Karina. The group was together for 8 years and recorded four albums, during which Serbiá left and was replaced by Ray Reyes.
Acting career and El Reencuentro
After leaving Proyecto M, Lozada began acting participating in telenovelas like Señora Tentación and Escándalo. In 2001, he played boxer Johnny Trinidad in the Amigas y rivales telenovela with Televisa. The next year, he starred in Cómplices al Rescate as veterinarian Sebastián. He also acted in the play Solo para Mujeres, and in the third season of Big Brother VIP.
In 1998, he and former Menudo's Farrait, Miguel Cancel, Ray Reyes, Charlie Masso and Ricky Meléndez got together in Puerto Rico for a concert named El Reencuentro. The concert featured new renditions of their hits from Menudo. El Reencuentro was so successful that they needed to add two more concerts that weekend and later, they went on tour all over Latin America and the United States. The group toured frequently until 2015, when they broke up.
Lozada continued to tour with El Reencuentro until 2015, as well as acting in theater. He has worked in the comedy Al Aire and the play Manos Quietas. In 2012, he joined the cast of Confesiones del Pene.
In 2010, Lozada joined Sal y Pimienta, a Latin gossip show, as commentator. After two years, he left the show to host ¡Despierta América!. In December 2016, Lozada announced that he would be leaving ¡Despierta América!. In February 2017, he joined the cast of the children's reality/talent show Pequeños Gigantes USA as a celebrity captain. The group that Lozada coached, "Peque Flow", won the competition.
Mira Quien Baila (2013)
On November 24, 2013, Lozada won the fourth season of Univision's dance competition Mira Quien Baila. The judge panel for this season was composed by Horacio Villalobos, Bianca Marroquin and Ninel Conde. Lozada began his participation in the contest by winning the first gala, earning 66% of the public vote. The following week he defeated El Dasa in a duel, receiving 76%. On September 29, 2013, Lozada was forced to dance twice, after a regional Mexican routine failed to convince the judges. He avoided the elimination round by advancing with a tango in his second routine. Throughout the season he was disfavored by the all-Mexican jury, even being involved in controversy when his masculinity was questioned by Conde following the regional Mexican routine. Lozada remained diplomatic to the attack, but his wife did respond. The following week he danced to La Isla Bonita, remaining in the winner's circle. The fifth date did not feature eliminations from the previous gala, but Lozada avoided being nominated to the elimination round with a cha-cha-cha. This was followed by another direct classification with a pasodoble.
At the seventh gala, Lozada fell into the elimination round for the first time, following an urban routine. In the eight date, he performed a disco routine and survived the jury's nomination to the elimination round by besting Manny Manuel with 62% of the vote. During the voting process, his nomination became a trending topic in several countries. At the ninth gala, Lozada danced a quickstep, being sent into a single-elimination qualificatory to the finals. At the semifinals, he danced a merengue and advanced by eliminating Mane de la Parra, who only gathered 35% despite receiving the public endorsement of Conde. Despite publicly supporting his opponent, Conde did not congratulate Lozada or react following his elimination. He suffered a slight muscle torn in his right arm during this gala, but was treated with injections and decided to continue. With two tangos in the finals, Lozada defeated Marjorie de Sousa and Pedro Moreno by gathering 53% of the total vote. He donated the $50,000 prize to Habitat for Humanity's Puerto Rico chapter.
- 2007: Manuela and Manuel Ramon
- 2006: I Love Miami Carlitos
- 2004: Misión S.O.S (TV series) Gonzalo Ortega – Episode #1.1 (2004) … Gonzalo Ortega
- 2002: Cómplices Al Rescate (TV series) Sebastián Solasi
- 2001: Amigas y rivales (TV series) Johnny Trinidad
- 1995: Señora Tentacion (TV series)
- 1988: Alba marina (TV series) (as Proyecto M)
- 1983: Silver Spoons (TV series) Johnn – Menudo Madness (1983) … Johnny
- 1982: Una aventura llamada Menudo Johnny
- 1982: Menudo: La Pelicula
- Bonacich, Drago. "Biography: Johnny Lozada". AllMusic. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- Biografía: Johnny Lozada Archived 2012-08-15 at the Wayback Machine. on esMas
- Biografía: Johnny Lozada on Fundación Nacional para la Cultura Popular
- Biografía Johnny Lozada on Univision
- Vargas, Patricia (August 20, 2012). "Johnny Lozada se despide de Sal y Pimienta". El Nuevo Día.
- Biografía de Johnny Lozada on Angelfire
- Biografía de Johnny Lozada on Musica.com
- Marrero, Rosalina (May 28, 2011). "Menudo cantó al corazón de una generación". Primera Hora.
- "Johnny Lozada regresa a la televisión y al teatro". People en Español. December 20, 2011.
- "Johnny Lozada feliz a los 44". Siete.
- "El Reencuentro y Guillermo Dávila juntos en concierto". El Nuevo Día. March 27, 2012.
- Vargas, Patricia (July 24, 2012). "Johnny Lozada en Confesiones del Pene". El Nuevo Día.
-  Johnny Lozada: ¿Sale de 'Despierta América'?]
-  Johnny Lozada se incorpora a Pequeños Gigantes USA]
- Johnny Lozada y los Peque Flow ganan 'Pequeños Gigantes USA'
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "Johnny Lozada, de papacito ‘Menudo’ a papá picante". Univision. Retrieved September 3, 2012.
- "Defiende la esposa de Johnny a su esposo". esMas. September 3, 2012.