Johnny Russell (footballer)
Russell playing for Dundee United in 2011
|Full name||Johnathon Simpson Snedden Russell|
|Date of birth||8 April 1990|
|Place of birth||Glasgow, Scotland|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2008||→ Forfar Athletic (loan)||9||(4)|
|2009||→ Forfar Athletic (loan)||17||(4)|
|2009–2010||→ Raith Rovers (loan)||23||(4)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15:09, 15 October 2017 (UTC).
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 21:28, 19 October 2016 (UTC)
Johnathon Simpson Snedden Russell (born 8 April 1990) is a Scottish professional footballer who plays as a forward for English club Derby County. He began his career with Dundee United before joining Derby in 2013. He has also played for Forfar Athletic and Raith Rovers on loan. Russell represented Scotland at under-19 and under-21 level. He was first named in the Scotland squad in 2012, and made his full international debut in November 2014.
Russell, who had featured just five times for Dundee United's under-19 side in 2006–07, made his professional debut on 12 May 2007 in the 2–0 defeat at Falkirk, coming on as an 80th-minute substitute. In August 2008, Russell moved on loan to Forfar Athletic until the end of the year, scoring twice on his début. In January 2009, Russell made his first start for Dundee United in the Scottish Cup fourth round victory at East Stirlingshire, scoring a second-half penalty kick for his first United goal. Russell returned to Forfar on loan for the remainder of the season, agreeing a contract extension with United in April until May 2012.
In September 2009, Russell played and scored in Dundee United's League Cup win against Ross County before undertaking a month's loan with Raith Rovers, which was subsequently extended until Boxing Day. The deal was further extended until the end of the season, and Russell ended his time in Kirkcaldy in style, netting his first senior hat-trick in a final day 4–1 win over Ross County.
In April 2011, Russell scored a header, for Dundee United's second goal in a 3–2 win at Ibrox, which David Goodwillie scored the winner in the 89th minute. On 21 July he scored for United in the 2011–12 UEFA Europa League, the second in a 3–2 second qualifying round second leg win against Polish side Śląsk Wrocław. United had lost the first leg 1–0, so were eliminated on the away goals rule. He also scored against Celtic that season, and broke into the United team.
On 7 January 2012, Russell netted a hat-trick, his second of his career, in a 6–2 Scottish Cup win over Airdrie United. As of that match, Russell had scored a total of 9 goals in the 2011–12 season and it saw him become a regular in the starting line-up for Dundee United alongside Jon Daly.
On 19 January 2013, Russell scored his first SPL hattrick in a 3–2 win over Kilmarnock. On 2 February 2013, Russell equalled Finn Døssing's record for the fastest ever Dundee United goal. Scoring after 14 seconds in a 3–0 Scottish Cup victory against Rangers at Tannadice Park.
In May 2013, it was reported that bids for Russell were made by Italian Serie A team Catania and English Championship side Derby County with Dundee United keen to sell Russell with a year left on his contract after his agent stated that Russell would not be signing a new contract. In June 2013; Derby County had an offer accepted for the striker, with personal terms also agreed ahead of a medical on 10 June.
On the day of his medical, Russell formally joined Derby County for a fee of around £750,000. He signed a four-year contract. Russell made an impressive start to his Derby County career, scoring a brace in a pre-season friendly at Irish side Bohemians. He then scored goals in each of the subsequent friendlies at Port Vale and Bristol Rovers. Russell's competition for a starting place consisted of Chris Martin, Conor Sammon and Jamie Ward. Russell scored on his competitive debut, from the penalty spot, in Derby's 1–1 draw with Blackburn Rovers on 4 August. He scored a fifth in four friendlies in the Bass Charity Vase final against Burton Albion on 13 August, which Derby lost 3–2. He scored the first in a 3–0 win away at Yeovil Town on 24 August, missed a penalty in a 0–3 home defeat to Burnley and got both goals in a 2–2 draw away to Bolton Wanderers on 17 September. His fifth goal of the season came on 5 October 2013. The first game under new Derby manager Steve McClaren, Russell scored the second goal as The Rams beat Leeds United 3–1, recording their 10th consecutive win against the Yorkshiremen. Russell fractured his left Fibula during the game and was ruled out of action for six weeks.
- As of 22 January 2017
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Continental||Other||Total|
|Dundee United Total||102||31||9||10||5||4||4||1||–||120||46|
|Forfar Athletic (loan)||2008–09||Third Division||9||4||0||0||0||0||–||0||0||9||4|
|Forfar Athletic (loan)||2008–09||Third Division||17||4||0||0||0||0||–||0||0||17||4|
|Raith Rovers (loan)||2009–10||First Division||23||4||5||1||0||0||–||0||0||28||5|
|Derby County Total||144||25||5||0||8||2||–||5||1||162||28|
In August 2007, Russell made his debut for the Scotland under-19s, also appearing in the following match in April 2008 in a 5–1 win over Denmark. Russell played eleven times for the Scotland under-21s, scoring once in the process. He received his first call up to the full national team for the match against the United States in May 2012,; but did not play. Russell made his full international debut in November 2014, in a 3–1 friendly home defeat to England. On as a second-half substitute, Russell provided the assist for Andy Robertson to make it 2–1. He got his second cap in a 1–0 friendly home win against Northern Ireland in March 2015.
- "The Football League Limited: Club list of registered players as at 16th May 2015" (PDF). The Football League. 16 May 2015. p. 17. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "JOHNNY RUSSELL ON LOAN TO FORFAR ATHLETIC". Dundee United FC. 20 August 2008. Archived from the original on 23 August 2008. Retrieved 20 August 2008.
- "Trio extend contracts". Dundee United FC. 3 April 2009. Retrieved 3 April 2009.
- "Morton will have to pay to get Moore". Press and Journal. 27 October 2009.
- "Raith Rovers 4–1 Ross County". BBC Sport. 1 May 2010. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- "Rangers 2–3 Dundee United". BBC Sport. 2 April 2011.
- "Airdrie Utd 2–6 Dundee Utd". BBC Sport. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Dundee United plan to cash in on Johnny Russell". BBC Sport. 28 May 2013. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Rams agree fee for Scottish striker Russell". Derby Telegraph. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Johnny Russell: Derby County sign Dundee United striker". BBC Sport. 10 June 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Russell arrival gives Rams an extra option as one of strikers with pedigree". Derby Telegraph. 27 July 2013. Archived from the original on 27 September 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Derby 1–1 Blackburn". BBC Sport. 4 August 2013. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Burton Albion 3-2 Derby County". Burton Albio FC. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Derby 3–1 Leeds". BBC Sport. 5 October 2013. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- "Derby striker Johnny Russell out for six weeks through injury". BBC Sport. 8 October 2013. Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- Johnny Russell at Soccerbase
- "Scotland U19s 5 Denmark U19s 1". 2 April 2008.
- Scotland U21s - Johnny Russell Fitbastats. Retrieved 31-03-2015.
- Levein names squad to face USA Scottish FA. 15-05-2012. Retrieved 31-03-2015.
- "Dundee United's Johnny Russell handed first Scotland call-up". BBC Sport. 15 May 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Johnny Russell: Derby County striker's pride at Scotland debut". BBC Sport. BBC. 21 November 2014. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "England and Wayne Rooney see off Scotland in their own back yard". The Guardian. 18 November 2014. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "Competitive cap would be a dream come true for Johnny Russell". Evening Telegraph. DC Thomson. 28 March 2015. Archived from the original on 31 March 2015. Retrieved 31 March 2015.