September 12, 1983 |
Ada, Oklahoma, U.S.
|Other names||Bigg Rigg|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (175 cm)|
|Weight||185.5 lb (84 kg)|
Welterweight (2007-2016)Middleweight (2017-present)
|Reach||69 in (175 cm)|
|Style||Wrestling, Boxing, BJJ|
|Fighting out of||Fort Worth, Texas, U.S.|
|Rank||Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division I Wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||Oklahoma State University|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Johny Hendricks (born September 12, 1983) is an American mixed martial artist and an accomplished former collegiate wrestler. He currently fights in the Ultimate Fighting Championship's (UFC) middleweight division and is the former UFC Welterweight Champion. He is known for his very powerful punches, particularly from the left hand, as well as his extensive wrestling background. He is also known for having difficulty making the welterweight weight limit. As of February 18, 2017 he is #10 in the UFC Welterweight rankings, and the #11 welterweight in the world by Sherdog.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Championships and achievements
- 5 Mixed martial arts record
- 6 Pay-per-view bouts
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Hendricks was born in Ada, Oklahoma, U.S. and is of Dutch, Jewish, German and Native American descent. He was a three-time Oklahoma high school wrestling state champion and was a two-time high school national champion while at Edmond Memorial High School. His final high school record was 101–5. Hendricks would go on to attend college at Oklahoma State University (OSU).
After a 10–0 redshirt season in 2003, Hendricks finished 5th in the nation at 157 pounds in 2004, while compiling a 37–7 record. Hendricks moved up to 165 pounds for the next three seasons. He won the 2005 and 2006 Big 12 title and the NCAA Division I national championship. He was 27–4 in 2005 and 29–1 in 2006.
Going into the 2007 national championships final match, Hendricks had a record of 34–0 for the season and had won his third straight Big 12 title along the way. He suffered an upset loss to Mark Perry from the University of Iowa and finished 2nd in the nation. The four-time All-American for OSU finished with a college record of 159–13.
Mixed martial arts career
After graduating from OSU in 2007, Hendricks moved to Las Vegas and signed with Team Takedown, along with two other former OSU wrestlers, Shane Roller and Jake Rosholt. This elite fighter management team funds fighters' training and splits his profits. Hendricks would go on to have his first career mixed martial arts (MMA) fight only seven months after his last collegiate wrestling match. He made his professional MMA debut on September 28, 2007, in which he scored a third round TKO victory over Victor Ratcliff at Masters of the Cage 16 held in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Hendricks fought once more in 2007, defeating Spencer Cowley with a second-round TKO (punches) at Snakebite Fight Night held in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Hendricks won his television debut on March 15, 2008, with a first round submission D'arce choke victory over Richard Gamble at HDNet Fights Xtreme Fighting League, also in Tulsa.
Hendricks, Roller and Rosholt signed multi-fight deals with World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) While in the WEC, Hendricks won two more fights—a December 2008 TKO over Justin Haskins at WEC 37 (Hendricks' first fight outside of Oklahoma) and a unanimous decision win over Alex Serdyukov at WEC 39, which was the last 170-pound bout in WEC history due to the company's decision to dissolve its welterweight division and focus on lighter weight fighters.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
With the WEC eliminating his weight class, Hendricks had to find another place to fight and signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. In May 2009, it was announced that Hendricks would be making his UFC debut against Ultimate Fighter 7 champion Amir Sadollah at UFC 101 from the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on August 8, 2009. In the opening seconds of the first round, Hendricks blocked a high head kick from Sadollah and countered with an uppercut knocking Sadollah to his knees. Hendricks continued to land punches until referee Dan Miragliotta pulled him off and ended the fight 29 seconds into the first round. Some people criticized Miragliotta for stopping the fight too early, as Sadollah seemed to be trying to get up, but Miragliotta defended his stoppage saying Sadollah was "out of it" and "still looked glassy eyed and asked me what happened."  Hendricks faced promotional newcomer Ricardo Funch on December 12, 2009, at UFC 107. Hendricks won the fight via unanimous decision.
Hendricks next faced TJ Grant on May 8, 2010, at UFC 113. Hendricks won the bout via majority decision, improving his record to 3–0 in the UFC. He next faced Charlie Brenneman on August 7, 2010, at UFC 117. Hendricks defeated him via TKO (punches) after 40 seconds of the second round. Hendricks fought Rick Story on December 4, 2010, at The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale. Hendricks lost via unanimous decision.
Hendricks was expected to face Paulo Thiago on March 3, 2011, at UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann. However, Thiago was forced out of the bout with an elbow injury. Instead, Hendricks fought TJ Waldburger on March 26, 2011, at UFC Fight Night 24, replacing an injured Dennis Hallman. Hendricks won via first-round TKO, earning Knockout of the Night honors. Hendricks faced Mike Pierce on August 6, 2011, at UFC 133. Hendricks won by split decision. Hendricks fought longtime #2 welterweight Jon Fitch on December 30, 2011, at UFC 141. Hendricks became the first man to finish Fitch in the UFC, winning via knockout just 12 seconds into the first round. The performance also earned Knockout of the Night honors.
Hendricks next faced Josh Koscheck on May 5, 2012, in the co-main event at UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller. He won the fight via split decision. Hendricks faced Martin Kampmann on November 17, 2012, at UFC 154. Hendricks won the fight via KO at 46 seconds into the first round, earning Knockout of the Night honors for his performance. Hendricks was expected to face Jake Ellenberger on March 16, 2013, at UFC 158. However, Hendricks was pulled from the Ellenberger bout in favor of a matchup with Carlos Condit at the event after Condit's original opponent, Rory MacDonald, pulled out of the bout with an injury. Hendricks won a unanimous decision and both participants earned Fight of the Night honors.
Welterweight title bouts
Having earned his title shot, Hendricks faced Georges St-Pierre on November 16, 2013, at UFC 167 for the UFC Welterweight Championship. He lost the fight via a controversial split decision, a loss that UFC president Dana White felt was unwarranted as he publicly stated he believed Hendricks won the fight. In addition, the site MMADecisions.com reported that every one of the sixteen MMA media members whose scores they collect declared the fight a decision victory for Hendricks. Despite the controversy, the bout did earn him his second Fight of the Night honors in the UFC.
On December 13, 2013, news came that Georges St-Pierre would be taking an indefinite break from MMA and vacating his belt. Following this report, Dana White announced that Hendricks would be facing Robbie Lawler on March 15, 2014, at UFC 171 for the vacant UFC Welterweight Championship. Hendricks won the back-and-forth fight via unanimous decision. The bout also earned him his third consecutive Fight of the Night bonus award. Hendricks underwent surgery to repair a torn bicep that he sustained prior to his fight with Lawler. He returned to training in May 2014. A rematch with Robbie Lawler took place at UFC 181 on December 6, 2014. After starting strong, Hendricks slowed in the later rounds and ultimately lost the fight and the title via a split decision.
Hendricks faced Matt Brown on March 14, 2015, at UFC 185. While Brown had a limited amount of success on the feet, Hendricks was successful on nine of ten takedown attempts and neutralized Brown's attacks. Hendricks won the fight via unanimous decision. Hendricks was expected to face Tyron Woodley on October 3, 2015, at UFC 192. However, the bout was scrapped prior to the weigh-ins due to an intestinal blockage and kidney stone attack suffered by Hendricks during the weight cut.
Hendricks faced Stephen Thompson on February 6, 2016, at UFC Fight Night 82. Despite being the betting favorite in this encounter, Hendricks had no answer for Thompson's striking and lost the bout via TKO in the first round, marking the first time Hendricks had ever been finished in his MMA career. Hendricks faced Kelvin Gastelum on July 9, 2016, at UFC 200. He lost the fight via unanimous decision. Prior to the bout, Hendricks missed weight by a quarter pound and therefore surrendered 20% of his purse to Gastelum. Hendricks faced Neil Magny on December 30, 2016, at UFC 207. At the weigh-ins, Hendricks once again missed weight, weighing in at 173.5 lbs., two and a half pounds over the welterweight limit. As a result, he forfeited 20% of his purse to Magny. Hendricks lost the bout by unanimous decision. Prior to the fight, Hendricks announced his intentions to move up to middleweight after facing Magny due to the hard weight-cut.
After several struggles to make the welterweight weight limit, Hendricks opted to move up a weight class to the middleweight division. He faced Hector Lombard in his middleweight debut on February 19, 2017 at UFC Fight Night 105. Hendricks won the back-and-forth fight via unanimous decision.
Hendricks and his wife Christina have four children: Abri, Adli, Avin, and Rigg.
Championships and achievements
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
- NCAA Division I All-American out of Oklahoma State University (2004), (2005), (2006), (2007)
- NCAA Division I 157 lb – 5th place out of Oklahoma State University (2004)
- NCAA Division I 165 lb – Champion out of Oklahoma State University (2005)
- NCAA Division I 165 lb – Champion out of Oklahoma State University (2006)
- NCAA Division I 165 lb – Runner-up out of Oklahoma State University (2007)
- Big 12 Conference Championship out of Oklahoma State University (2005), (2006), (2007)
- USA Junior Freestyle Championship
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- World Extreme Cagefighting
- Fight of the Night (One time)
- 2012 Fighter of the Year
- Bleacher Report
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|24 matches||18 wins||6 losses|
|Win||18–6||Hector Lombard||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Browne||February 19, 2017||3||5:00||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada||Middleweight debut.|
|Loss||17–6||Neil Magny||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 207||December 30, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (173.5 lbs) bout; Hendricks missed weight.|
|Loss||17–5||Kelvin Gastelum||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 200||July 9, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (171.25 lbs) bout; Hendricks missed weight.|
|Loss||17–4||Stephen Thompson||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Hendricks vs. Thompson||February 6, 2016||1||3:31||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||17–3||Matt Brown||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 185||March 14, 2015||3||5:00||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Loss||16–3||Robbie Lawler||Decision (split)||UFC 181||December 6, 2014||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Lost the UFC Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||16–2||Robbie Lawler||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 171||March 15, 2014||5||5:00||Dallas, Texas, United States||Won the vacant UFC Welterweight Championship. Fight of the Night. Fight of the Year (2014).|
|Loss||15–2||Georges St-Pierre||Decision (split)||UFC 167||November 16, 2013||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the UFC Welterweight Championship. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||15–1||Carlos Condit||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 158||March 16, 2013||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||UFC Welterweight title eliminator. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||14–1||Martin Kampmann||KO (punch)||UFC 154||November 17, 2012||1||0:46||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||13–1||Josh Koscheck||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller||May 5, 2012||3||5:00||East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||12–1||Jon Fitch||KO (punch)||UFC 141||December 30, 2011||1||0:12||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||11–1||Mike Pierce||Decision (split)||UFC 133||August 6, 2011||3||5:00||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||10–1||TJ Waldburger||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Davis||March 26, 2011||1||1:35||Seattle, Washington, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Loss||9–1||Rick Story||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck Finale||December 4, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–0||Charlie Brenneman||TKO (punches)||UFC 117||August 7, 2010||2||0:40||Oakland, California, United States|
|Win||8–0||TJ Grant||Decision (majority)||UFC 113||May 8, 2010||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||7–0||Ricardo Funch||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 107||December 12, 2009||3||5:00||Memphis, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||6–0||Amir Sadollah||TKO (punches)||UFC 101||August 8, 2009||1||0:29||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||5–0||Alex Serdyukov||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 39||March 1, 2009||3||5:00||Corpus Christi, Texas, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||4–0||Justin Haskins||TKO (punches)||WEC 37||December 3, 2008||2||0:43||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||3–0||Richard Gamble||Submission (D'Arce choke)||Xtreme Fighting League 1||March 15, 2008||1||1:45||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||2–0||Spencer Cowley||KO (punches)||Shark Fight Night||November 16, 2007||2||0:35||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||1–0||Victor Rackliff||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Battle of the Cage 16||September 28, 2007||3||1:54||Oklahoma City, United States|
|November 16, 2013||UFC 167||630,000||14,856|
|March 14, 2014||UFC 171||300,000||19,324|
|December 6, 2014||UFC 181||400,000||9,617|
- "Johny Hendricks – Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- "Fight Card – UFC 185 Pettis vs. Dos Anjos". UFC.com. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- Team TakeDown | MMA Fighter Management TX | Johny Hendricks. Teamtakedownfighters.com. Retrieved on November 7, 2015.
- Bjj Eastern Europe – The Secret To Johny Hendricks's Power: Heavy Lifting & Grappling In A Gi. Bjjee.com (May 20, 2015). Retrieved on November 7, 2015.
- Knock 'em dead: Johny Hendricks UFC 154 post-fight conversation with MMAmania.com (Part one). MMAmania.com (November 19, 2012). Retrieved on November 7, 2015.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com. February 7, 2016.
- Team TakeDown Fighter Information.
- 2007 NCAA Wrestling Results[dead link]
- Nawara, Jason (March 21, 2014). "Johny Hendricks gives 50% of his profits to his financial backers". mmanuts.com. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- MOTC 16 – Masters of the Cage 16. Sherdog (September 28, 2007)
- HRP – Fight Night. Sherdog (November 16, 2007)
- Snakebite Fight Night Results. teamtakedownfighters.com
- XFL – Xtreme Fighting League. Sherdof (March 15, 2008)
- WEC signs TTD fighters Archived May 31, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- WEC 37 – Torres vs. Tapia. Sherdog (December 3, 2008)
- WEC 39 – Brown vs. Garcia. Sherdog (March 1, 2009)
- "Win Or Lose, History Awaits Hendricks". Wec.tv. Retrieved on November 7, 2015.
- UFC 101 Card Info. UFC
- Miragliotta Defends Stoppage. Bloodyelbow.com (August 11, 2009). Retrieved on November 7, 2015.
- "Johny Hendricks set to face UFC newcomer Ricardo Funch at UFC 107 in December". mmajunkie.com. October 13, 2009. Retrieved October 13, 2009.
- "T.J. Grant vs. Johny Hendricks in the works for UFC 113 in Montreal". mmajunkie.com. January 16, 2010. Retrieved January 16, 2010.
- "Brenneman, Hendricks in Works for UFC 117". mmadiehards.com. May 27, 2010.
- Hendricks, Maggie (August 7, 2010). "Wrestlers rule as Hendricks and Davis win at UFC 117". ca.sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved August 7, 2010.
- "Rick Story vs Johny Hendricks tapped for The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale main card". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved September 11, 2010.
- Thomas, Luke (December 4, 2010). "The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale Results: Rick Story defeats Johny Hendricks by unanimous decision". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- "Johny Hendricks vs. Paulo Thiago targeted for UFC on Versus 3". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved January 20, 2011.
- "Paulo Thiago scratched from UFC on Versus 3, Johny Hendricks in limbo". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Hendricks replaces Hallman, faces Waldburger at UFC Fight Night 24". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "UFC Fight Night 24 Bonuses: 'Zombie,' Hendricks pocket $55K". sherdog.com. March 26, 2011. Retrieved March 26, 2011.
- "Mike Pierce vs. Johny Hendricks targeted for UFC 133 in Philly". mmajunkie.com. April 28, 2011.
- Burke, Tim (August 3, 2011). "UFC 133 Results Recap: Johny Hendricks vs. Mike Pierce". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "Jon Fitch to fight Johny Hendricks". espn.go.com. September 12, 2011.
- Smith, Michael David (December 30, 2011). "Johny Hendricks knocks out Jon Fitch". mmafighting.com. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- "$75,000 Bonuses Handed Out Following UFC 141". mmaweekly.com. December 31, 2011. Retrieved December 31, 2011.
- "Johny Hendricks vs. Josh Koscheck added to UFC on FOX 3". mmajunkie.com. February 12, 2012.
- "Johny Hendricks vs. Martin Kampmann official for UFC 154 in Montreal". mmajunkie.com. August 21, 2012. Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- Erickson, Matt (November 17, 2012). "UFC 154 results: Johny Hendricks crushes Martin Kampmann with one-punch KO". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- "UFC 154 Fighter Bonuses: GSP and Carlos Condit deliver Fight of the Night". mmaweekly.com. November 18, 2012. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- "Johny Hendricks vs. Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158". mmaweekly.com. December 15, 2012.
- Morgan, John; Marrocco, Steven (February 18, 2013). "Rory MacDonald scratched from UFC 158, Johny Hendricks now meets Carlos Condit". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- Holland, Jesse (March 17, 2013). "UFC 158 results: Why Johny Hendricks vs. Carlos Condit was more than just 'Fight of the Night'". mmamania.com.
- "Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks slotted for Nov. 16, likely as UFC 167". MMAjunkie.com. June 19, 2013. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- "Dana White believes Johny Hendricks beat Georges St-Pierre, rips Nevada commission". MMAjunkie.com. November 16, 2013. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- "St-Pierre vs. Hendricks Media Scores". MMAdecisions.com. November 16, 2013. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- "UFC 167 bonuses: St-Pierre, Hendricks, Woodley, Cerrone win $50,000". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- "It's official: georges St-Pierre vacating UFC welterweight title". mmajunkie.com. December 13, 2013.
- "Johny Hendricks vs Robbie Lawler meet at UFC 171 for the title which he became champion.". mmajunkie.com. December 13, 2013.
- "UFC 171 bonuses: Hendricks, Lawler, St. Preux, Bermudez win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. March 16, 2014. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- Pagliuca, Chris (March 19, 2014). "Johny Hendricks Will Undergo Biceps Surgery". mmanuts.com. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- "Weidman Hurt; Hendricks-Lawler II Now Headlines UFC 181". ufc.com. September 22, 2014. Retrieved September 22, 2014.
- Marrocco, Steven (December 7, 2014). "UUFC 181 results, photos: Robbie Lawler upsets Johny Hendricks, wins title by split decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- Okamoto, Brett (January 13, 2015). "Hendricks, Brown added to UFC 185". espn.go.com. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Burke, Tim (March 14, 2015). "UFC 185 results: Johny Hendricks wrestles his way to win over Matt Brown". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- Doyle, Dave (August 5, 2015). "Johny Hendricks vs. Tyron Woodley set for UFC 192". mmafighting.com. Retrieved August 5, 2015.
- "UFC scraps Saturday's Johny Hendricks vs. Tyron Woodley UFC 192 co-headliner". mmajunkie.com. October 2, 2015. Retrieved October 2, 2015.
- "Johny Hendericks vs. Stephen Thompson set for UFC Fight Night 82 on February 6 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. 2015-12-13. Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- Brian Knapp (2016-02-07). "Stephen Thompson obliterates former champ Johny Hendricks in UFC Fight Night 82 headliner". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- Ariel Helwani (2016-03-29). "Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum in the works for UFC 200". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- Luke Thomas (2016-07-11). "UFC 200 results: Kelvin Gastelum decisions Johny Hendricks in three-round battle". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- "UFC 200 weigh-ins: Hendricks misses weight; Tate just makes the deadline | FOX Sports". FOX Sports. 2016-07-08. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- Jesse Holland (2016-10-18). "Johny Hendricks vs. Neil Magny set for UFC 207 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- Jesse Holland (2016-12-28). "UFC 207 early weigh-in results: Rousey hits 135, Hendricks and Borg miss weight". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2016-12-28.
- "Neil Magny hands former champ Johny Hendricks third loss in a row | FOX Sports". FOX Sports. 2016-12-30. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- Helwani, Ariel (2016-12-30). "Hendricks: 'I'm done fighting at welterweight'". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- MMAjunkie Staff (2017-01-18). "Johny Hendricks moves to middleweight, meets Hector Lombard at UFC Fight Night 105 in Halifax". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- Ben Fowlkes (2017-02-19). "UFC Fight Night 105 results: Johny Hendricks outpoints Hector Lombard in middleweight debut". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-19.
- "Johny Hendricks Family Man!Tom, Abri and Jo". March 16, 2013. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- Martin, Damon (October 2, 2013). "Reebok sponsors Hendricks". foxsports.com. Retrieved January 4, 2015.
- Johny Hendricks – Official UFC® Fighter Profile. Uk.ufc.com. Retrieved on November 7, 2015.
- http://wrestlinghalloffame.org/wrestlers.php?wrestler=11819. Retrieved January 4, 2012. Missing or empty
- Johny Hendricks ("Big Rig") | MMA Fighter Page. Tapology. Retrieved on November 7, 2015.
- The MMA Valor 2012 Year End Awards. Mmavalor.com. Retrieved on November 7, 2015.
- 2014 Fight of the Year: Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler, UFC 171. MMA Fighting (December 28, 2014). Retrieved on November 7, 2015.
- Breen, Jordan. (January 6, 2015) Sherdog.com's 2014 Fight of the Year - Fight of the Year. Sherdog.com. Retrieved on 2015-11-07.
- Brookhouse, Brent. (April 4, 2014) MMAjunkie's ‘Fight of the Month’ for March 2014. MMAjunkie. Retrieved on 2015-11-07.
- MMA in 2014: Fight of the Year. Bleacher Report (December 23, 2014). Retrieved on 2015-11-07.
- Meltzer, Dave (January 26, 2015). "Jan. 26, 2015 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: 2014 awards issue w/ results & Dave's commentary, Conor McGregor, and much more". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Campbell, California: 21. ISSN 1083-9593.
- Official Website
- Official UFC Profile
- Official Twitter
- Official Facebook
- Official Instagram
- Professional MMA record for Johny Hendricks from Sherdog
- Team TakeDown Official Website
- Oklahoma State wrestling biography
- Bigg Riggs Steakhouse
Title last held byGeorges St-Pierre
|9th UFC Welterweight Champion
March 15, 2014 – December 6, 2014