Johny Mera Naam
|Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Johny Mera Naam|
|जॉनी मेरा नाम|
|Directed by||Vijay Anand|
|Produced by||Gulshan Rai|
|Written by||Vijay Anand
I. S. Johar
|Edited by||Vijay Anand|
|Distributed by||Trimurti Films
Prasad Productions Pvt. Ltd.
|11 November 1970|
Johny Mera Naam (Hindi: जानी मेरा नाम, English: Johny, My Name) is a blockbuster 1970 crime thriller film. Directed by Vijay Anand, it stars the director's brother, Dev Anand and Pran in the roles of brothers separated in childhood. Hema Malini, Jeevan, Premnath, I. S. Johar and Iftekhar also star in this movie. It is considered a Dev Anand classic.
At the 18th Filmfare Awards, Vijay Anand won the Filmfare Best Screenplay Award, while actor I. S.Johar received his first Best Performance in a Comic Role for his triple roles: a steward in aeroplane, an associate of criminals, and a police officer.
Mohan and Sohan are the sons of a police inspector. The kids excel in boxing. Their father is killed by a goon following orders from Ranjit (Premnath). Mohan (Pran) kills the goon, takes refuge in a car boot, and goes missing.
Years later Sohan (Dev Anand) goes on to become a CID officer called Sohan Kumar who solves his cases taking up different guises. He takes the identity of Johny, a petty thief and gets himself in jail, befriends Heera (Jeevan), solves a case wooing Rekha (Hema Malini), and finds the criminal.
- Dev Anand ... Johny / Sohan
- Hema Malini ... Rekha
- Pran ... Moti / Mohan
- Jeevan ... Heera
- Premnath ... Ranjit / Rai Saab Bhupendra Singh
- I. S. Johar ... Pehle Ram (Palmist) / Dooja Ram / Teeja Ram
- Iftekhar .... Chief Inspector Mehta
- Sulochana .... Mother
- Dulari .... Poojari's wife
- Padma Khanna ... Tara
- Randhawa ... Babu
It was the highest grossing Bollywood film of 1970 and the 7th highest grossing Bollywood movie of the 1970s.It was infact first movie in bollywood which earned Rs. 50 lakhs per territory(india is divided in 7 territory viz 7 different zones where the movies are distributed).
|1||Title Music (Johny Mera Naam)||Instrumental||Credit Title Sequence||01:59|
|2||O Mere Raja||Kishore Kumar, Asha Bhosle||Dev Anand and Hema Malini||05:05|
|3||Pal Bhar Ke Liye||Kishore Kumar, Usha Khanna||Dev Anand and Hema Malini||05:05|
|4||Mose Mora Shyam Rootha||Lata Mangeshkar||Hema Malini||05:38|
|5||Babul Pyare||Lata Mangeshkar||Hema Malini||06:19|
|6||Nafrat Karne Walon Ke||Kishore Kumar||Dev Anand and Hema Malini||03:55|
|7||Husn Ke Lakhon Rang||Asha Bhosle||Premnath and Padma Khanna||05:19|
- The song "Pal Bhar Ke Liye" composed by Kalyanji-Anandji and performed by Kishore Kumar in this film was very popular. It was used at the end of The Simpsons episode "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore" (2006).
- A scene of the film is shown in the 2007 thriller Johnny Gaddaar, prompting a character to give Johnny as a fake name and hence the film title. The song "Pal Bhar Ke Liye" was picturized at the Godawari garden near Kathmandu in which the glamor girl, Hema Malini, appears in beautiful getup.
- The song "O Mere Raja" was shot at the ruins of Nalanda and the Vishwa Shanti Stupa in Rajgir, Bihar.
- IMDB Cast and Credits
- "Matinee Magic : Know Your Blockbuster Johny Mera Naam | *ing Dev Anand". Koimoi.
- "Best Screenplay Award". Filmfare Award Official Listings, Indiatimes. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- Box Office India 1970
|This article about a Hindi film of the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|