Johny Mera Naam
|Johny Mera Naam|
|जॉनी मेरा नाम|
|Directed by||Vijay Anand|
|Produced by||Gulshan Rai|
|Written by||Vijay Anand
I. S. Johar
|Edited by||Vijay Anand|
|Distributed by||Trimurti Films
Prasad Productions Pvt. Ltd.
Johny Mera Naam (Hindi: जानी मेरा नाम, English: Johny, My Name) is a 1970 bollywood crime action film directed by Vijay Anand. The film stars the director's brother, Dev Anand and Pran in the roles of brothers separated in childhood. Hema Malini, Jeevan, Premnath, I. S. Johar and Iftekhar also star in pivotal roles.
At the 18th Filmfare Awards, Vijay Anand won the Filmfare Best Screenplay Award, while actor I. S.Johar received his first Best Performance in a Comic Role for his triple roles: a steward in aeroplane, an associate of criminals, and a police officer. The film was remade in Kannada as Apoorva Sangama with Dr.Rajkumar, in Telugu as Eduruleni Manishi with N. T. Rama Rao and in Tamil as Raja with Sivaji Ganesan.
Mohan and Sohan are the sons of a police inspector. The kids excel in boxing. Their father is killed by a goon following orders from Ranjit (Premnath). Mohan (Pran) kills the goon, takes refuge in a car boot, and goes missing.
Years later Sohan (Dev Anand) goes on to become a CID officer called Sohan Kumar who solves his cases taking up different guises. He takes the identity of Johny, a petty thief and gets himself in jail, befriends Heera (Jeevan), solves a case wooing Rekha (Hema Malini), and finds the criminal.
- Dev Anand as Johny / Sohan
- Hema Malini as Rekha
- Pran as Moti / Mohan
- Jeevan as Heera
- Premnath as Ranjit / Rai Saab Bhupendra Singh
- I. S. Johar as Pehle Ram (Palmist) / Dooja Ram / Teeja Ram
- Iftekhar as Chief Inspector Mehta
- Sulochana as Mother
- Dulari as Poojari's wife
- Padma Khanna as Tara
- Randhawa as Babu
|1||Title Music (Johny Mera Naam)||Instrumental||Credit Title Sequence||01:59|
|2||O Mere Raja||Kishore Kumar, Asha Bhosle||Dev Anand and Hema Malini||05:05|
|3||Pal Bhar Ke Liye||Kishore Kumar, Usha Khanna||Dev Anand and Hema Malini||05:05|
|4||Mose Mora Shyam Rootha||Lata Mangeshkar||Hema Malini||05:38|
|5||Babul Pyare||Lata Mangeshkar||Hema Malini||06:19|
|6||Nafrat Karne Walon Ke||Kishore Kumar||Dev Anand and Hema Malini||03:55|
|7||Husn Ke Lakhon Rang||Asha Bhosle||Premnath and Padma Khanna||05:19|
- The song "Pal Bhar Ke Liye" composed by Kalyanji-Anandji and performed by Kishore Kumar in this film was very popular. It was used at the end of The Simpsons episode "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore" (2006).
- A scene of the film is shown in the 2007 thriller Johnny Gaddaar, prompting a character to give Johnny as a fake name and hence the film title.
- The song "Pal Bhar Ke Liye" was picturized at the Godawari garden near Kathmandu in which the glamor girl, Hema Malini, appears in beautiful getup.
- The song "O Mere Raja" was shot at the ruins of Nalanda and the Vishwa Shanti Stupa in Rajgir, Bihar.
- "Johny Mera Naam". 11 November 1970 – via IMDb.
- "Matinee Magic : Know Your Blockbuster Johny Mera Naam | *ing Dev Anand". Koimoi.
- "Best Screenplay Award". Filmfare Award Official Listings, Indiatimes. Archived from the original on 29 April 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Johny Mera Naam (1970)". 1 November 2012 – via The Hindu.
- Box Office India 1970
- Hungama, Bollywood. "Johny Mera Naam 1970 Movie News, Wallpapers, Songs & Videos - Bollywood Hungama".
- "Dev Anand: Nalanda residents fondly remember ‘Johny’ - Times of India".