Joint Bi-level Image Experts Group
The Joint Bi-level Image Experts Group (JBIG) is a group of experts nominated by national standards bodies and major companies to work to produce standards for bi-level image coding. The "joint" refers to its status as a committee working on both ISO and ITU-T standards. It is one of two sub-groups of ISO/IEC Joint Technical Committee 1, Subcommittee 29, Working Group 1 (ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 1), whose official title is Coding of still pictures.
ISO/IEC JTC1 SC29 Working Group 1 (working together with ITU-T Study Group 16 – VCEG and previously also with Study Group 8 – SG8) is responsible for both JPEG and JBIG standards. It includes two sub-groups: the Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG SG) and the Joint Bi-level Image experts Group (JBIG SG).
In the mid-1980s, both CCITT (now ITU-T) and ISO had standardization groups for image coding: CCITT Study Group (SG) VIII (Telematic Services) and ISO TC97 SC2 WG8 (Coding of Audio and Picture Information). They were historically targeted on image communication. In 1986, it was decided to create the Joint (CCITT/ISO) Photographic Expert Group. In 1988, it was decided to create the Joint (CCITT/ISO) Bi-level Image Group – JBIG.
JBIG have developed following standards, which were published by ISO/IEC and/or ITU-T:
|Common Name||Part||First public release date (First edition)||ISO/IEC Number||ITU Number||Formal Title|
|JBIG1||1993||ISO/IEC 11544||ITU-T Recommendations T.82, T.85||Information technology – Coded representation of picture and audio information – Progressive bi-level image compression|
|JBIG2||2000||ISO/IEC 14492||ITU-T Recommendations T.88, T.89||Information technology – Lossy/lossless coding of bi-level images|
Note: The published JBIG2 standard was revised by later amendments.
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 (2009-05-07). "ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 1 - Coding of Still Pictures (SC 29/WG 1 Structure)". Archived from the original on 2013-12-31. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29. "Programme of Work, (Allocated to SC 29/WG 1)". Archived from the original on 2013-12-31. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- ISO. "JTC 1/SC 29 - Coding of audio, picture, multimedia and hypermedia information". Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- JPEG, JBIG (2007). "About our committee". Archived from the original on 2009-10-17. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- JPEG. "How does JPEG work?". Archived from the original on 2010-06-12. Retrieved 2009-11-09.
- "ITU-T Home : Study Groups : Study Group 16 - Question 6/16 – Visual coding". Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- JBIG Committee (1999-07-16), ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 1 (ITU-T SG8) - 14492 FCD (PDF), jpeg.org, archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-06-12, retrieved 2010-03-07
- ITU-T, ITU-T Study Group 8 List of Questions under Study (Study Period 1997 - 2000) (DOC), retrieved 2010-03-07
- ITU-T. "ITU-T Study Group 8 (Study Period 1997-2000)". Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- JPEG. "Joint Photographic Experts Group, JBIG Homepage". Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- chiariglione.org (2009-09-06). "Riding the Media Bits, The Faultline". Archived from the original on 2011-01-22. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- ITU-T (2005-07-21), The First Joint ITU ISO/IEC StillImage Compression Standards (PDF), p. 3, retrieved 2009-11-12
- ISO. "JTC 1/SC 29 - Coding of audio, picture, multimedia and hypermedia information". Retrieved 2009-11-07.
|This graphics software–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|