This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Joka is a census town in Thakurpukur Mahestala CD Block and a neighbourhood in South West Kolkata, India. The neighbourhood is home to one of the premier management institutes of India: Indian Institute of Management Calcutta.
Joka and part of Pailan-Daulatpur (adjoining area of Joka) are now under the Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
As per 2011 Census of India Joka had a total population of 9,302, of which 4,645 (50%) were males and 4,657 (50%) were females. Population below 6 years was 763. The total number of literates in Joka was 7,803 (91.38% of the population over 6 years).
The following Municipalities and Census Towns in South 24 Parganas district were part of Kolkata Urban Agglomeration in 2011 census: Maheshtala (M), Joka (CT), Balarampur (CT), Chata Kalikapur (CT), Budge Budge (M), Nischintapur (CT), Uttar Raypur (CT), Pujali (M), and Rajpur Sonarpur (M).
Joka is well connected with the rest of Kolkata by the 4 lane Diamond Harbour Road (NH 117) and 4 lane James Long Sarani. The stretch of the Diamond Harbour Road between Joka and Taratala (10 km) is in pretty bad shape with many temporary diversions and narrowing to 2-lanes due to Metro Railway Construction and Gardenreach-Joka Water-line construction.
Joka-BBG Bagh Metro railway constructions are in full swing and expected to be operational by 2018. 
The old Joka Tram depot is now closed and tram services no longer exists.
Bus routes include-
- 12C Pailan — Howrah Station (via Behala, B.N.R.)
- 12C/1A Konchowki — Howrah Station
- 12C/1B Pailan — Howrah Station (via Tollygunge, Rabindra Sadan)
- 83 Falta — Babughat
- 83A Sherpur — Babughat
- 210 Raichak — Esplanade (Express Bus)
- 235 Amtala — Salt Lake Karunamoyee
SD Bus Route
- SD5 Sonarpur — Khariberia
- SD9 Esplanade — Noorpur
- SD9/1 Esplanade — Noorpur
- SD14 Taratala — Sahararhat
- SD16 Sirakole — Mukundapur
- SD18 Esplanade — Diamond Harbour/South Bishnupur/Raidighi
- SD19 Esplanade — Patharpratima / Gangadharpur
- SD22/1 Esplanade — Nainan Sector 4
- SD27 Dostipur — Akrafatak
- SD31 Taratala — Jhinki Hat
- SD76 Amtala — Ruby Hospital
CSTC Bus Routes
- AC Bus
- Special Bus
- S3W Joka — Ecospace
VS Series (WBSTC AC Volvo Bus)
- VS6 Esplanade — Diamond Harbour
WBSTC Non AC
This locality houses one of the important centers of Bratachari movement.
Reputed schools in the area include Vivekanada Mission School, Pailan World School and IIMC Kendriya Vidyalay.
Ministry of Labour & Employment has started a Medical College in this area (in the campus of erstwhile ESIC Joka Model Hospital) since 2013.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". 2011 census: West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011" (PDF). Constituents of Urban Agglomeration Having Population Above 1 Lakh. Census of India 2011. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "Metro to take 3 years". Business Standard. Retrieved 26 April 2016.