Jon and Vangelis
|Jon and Vangelis|
Jon Anderson and Vangelis, 1981
|Genres||Synth-pop, electronic, progressive rock|
Higher Octave Records
|Past members||Jon Anderson|
Jon and Vangelis was a collaborative effort between the singer Jon Anderson (the lead vocalist of the progressive rock band Yes) and the Greek synthesiser musician Vangelis. Together, as a duo, they released 4 successful albums, between 1980 and 1991.
In 1974, Vangelis was considered as a replacement for Rick Wakeman as keyboardist in Yes, and although the job went to Patrick Moraz, it led to several collaborations with Anderson, who contributed vocals to Vangelis' Heaven and Hell (1975) on the song So Long Ago, So Clear, harp to Opera Sauvage (1979) on Flamants Roses and finally vocals to See You Later (1980) on Suffocation and See you later.
They recorded their first album together, Short Stories in 1979, producing the major hits I Hear You Now as well as One More Time. Anderson wrote the lyrics and Vangelis composed the music. In 1980, Jon left Yes and while he published his third solo album Song Of Seven in 1980, Vangelis did the same with See You Later on which Jon sang two songs. The two reunited to record their second album as a duo Friends of Mr Cairo in 1981, producing the hit songs Friends of Mr Cairo, State of Independence and Back to School. In 1983, Jon Anderson got back with Yes and they published their album 90125, and so did Jon & Vangelis with their own album Private Collection the same year.
In 1986, the duo made a few attempts at writing a new album, but much of this work was never officially released under the Jon and Vangelis name. Twelve tracks were compiled on 1991's Page of Life, while other songs from these sessions appeared in later works, including Let's Pretend, the last song on the 1989 album Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe. Anderson ultimately took it upon himself to re-work Page of Life, which was released in 1998 in the United States only with nine tracks. Vangelis did not approve this, and it is cited as the reason for the dissolution of their collaboration. Sing With Your Eyes appeared in 1991, as a B-side on the CD single release of Wisdom Chain / Page of Life. In 2011, Anderson approached Vangelis for a possible new collaboration but he did not receive a reply.
- Short Stories (1980)
- The Friends of Mr Cairo (1981)
- Private Collection (1983)
- Page of Life (1991) (re-released in 1998 with different tracks)
- "I Hear You Now" (1979) - UK #8
- "The Friends of Mr Cairo (1981) - CAN #1
- "I'll Find My Way Home" (1981) - UK #6
- "State of Independence" (1981)
- "Outside Of This" (NL 1981)
- "Back to school" (Canada 1981)
- "And When the Night Comes" (1983) - UK #87
- "He Is Sailing (UK/Europe 1983) - UK #61
- "Deborah" (Spain 1983)
- "Polonaise" (France 1983)
- "State of Independence" (1984 re-release) - UK #67
- "Wisdom Chain" (UK/Europe 1991)
- Jon & Vangelis Discography : https://www.discogs.com/fr/artist/95452-Jon-Vangelis
- "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe". vangeliscollector.com. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Page of Life". vangelismovements.com. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Interview:Jon Anderson". hit-channel.com. 23 April 2012.