Jon Cohen (entrepreneur)
|Born||July 12, 1968|
|Residence||New York City|
|Occupation||Co-CEO of Cornerstone
Co-founder of The Fader
Co-founder Fader Label
Jon Cohen (born July 21, 1968) is an American music and media executive in New York City.
Cohen graduated from Syracuse University’s Newhouse School of Communication in 1990 with a bachelor’s degree in television and radio, film and marketing. After graduation he joined EMI’s SBK label, promoting Blur and Jesus Jones. Cohen then worked for Columbia-Sony with Jeff Buckley, Alice in Chains and the The Presidents of the United States of America. In May 2012, he was honored by Syracuse University’s music and entertainment industry Bandier Program (founded by Sony/ATV Music Publishing chairman and CEO Martin Bandier) for wide-ranging contributions to the program.
In 1997, less than a year after Rob Stone founded Cornerstone (a New York-based creative-lifestyle marketing firm with offices in Los Angeles and London which is "charting a new direction for the music industry"), Cohen left Columbia to join Stone as a partner and co-CEO at Cornerstone (which was recognized in 2007 for its integration of musicians in advertising campaigns). Their work with clients such as Converse, Microsoft, Nike, Xbox, Mountain Dew and Diageo has given Cornerstone a reputation as a pioneer in advertising and music.
Cohen is a member of the board of directors for Sweetgreen, a farm-to-table salad chain, and helped create the annual Sweetlife Festival concert. He is also on the board of the Children’s Cancer Association’s music-medicine program, MyMusicRx, a digital playground delivering music to critically ill youth in the United States and Canada.
In 1999, Cohen co-founded The Fader with Rob Stone. An award-winning magazine, it was called "the new music-and-fashion bible" by the New York Times. With its 39th issue, The Fader became the first full-length magazine available on iTunes. The magazine also produces Fader TV.
In 2002, Cohen co-founded Fader Label with Rob Stone. Its roster includes Matt and Kim, the Editors, Neon Indian, Bird Monster, Saul Williams and Yuna. In spring 2003 they began Fader Films, an artist-friendly production division which has released critically acclaimed films (including Hooked: The Legend of Demetrius ‘Hook’ Mitchell and On The Outs. With Stone, Cohen is one of the "veteran music marketers" behind the Fader Fort at South by Southwest, presenting "some of the most memorable events at South by Southwest, like Kanye West's appearance two years ago and breakout performances by M.I.A. and Amy Winehouse."
Successful campaigns under Cohen’s direction at Cornerstone include Nike’s “Better Than I’ve Ever Been”. Commissioned by the sportswear company for the 25th anniversary of Air Force One shoes, the Cornerstone executive produced the song, secured Kanye West, Nas, KRS-One and Rakim to collaborate and oversaw production with Rick Rubin. The track was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group. "My Drive Thru" was a collaborative single by The Strokes' lead vocalist Julian Casablancas, American singer-songwriter Santigold and The Neptunes producer and N.E.R.D. member Pharrell Williams. The song was created for Converse's centennial, and was released in June 2008. Among Cornerstone's music-related initiatives are Green Label Sound by Mountain Dew and Rubber Tracks, a recording studio managed by Converse  in Brooklyn, New York.
In late 2010, Pepsi's chief engagement officer hired Cornerstone for the creative work on the company's Pepsi MAX NFL Audible campaign. TV spots aired during January 2011 NFL playoff games and online, featuring rappers Big Boi, Lupe Fiasco, B.o.B. and Talib Kweli. In 2012, Pepsi retained Cornerstone for its NFL Pepsi Anthems campaign featuring Kelly Clarkson, Travie McCoy, Wiz Khalifa and Kid Rock.
- Hermes Creative Awards: Platinum Award – Best Integrated Marketing Campaign – NFL Pepsi Anthems
- ASME National Magazine Awards: Finalist for General Excellence in Print - The FADER
- FOLIO Magazine Awards: Ozzie Award, Best Black & White Photography - The FADER
- Diageo Marketing Brilliance Awards: Best Owned Campaign – Crown Royal
- Record of the Day Awards: Most Effective PR Campaign for a Live Event or a Festival – Converse Represent
- Brand Event Awards: Best Event Strategy, Fashion – Converse Represent
- Music Week Awards: Music and Brand Partnership – Converse Gigs and Represent
- ASME National Magazine Awards: Finalist for General Excellence in Editorial - The FADER
- FOLIO 40: Publisher Andy Cohn named one of the top 10 most influential “C-level” visionaries in the publishing world
- FOLIO Awards: Editorial - Best Consumer Entertainment Issue, Gold Winner: "Notorious B.I.G. ICON issue" - The FADER
- The OMMA Awards: The FADER FORT by Fiat, Entertainment / Music 
- min’s Best of the Web Awards: Best Marketing Campaign – Levi’s & The FADER Fort
- OMMA Awards: Best Integrated Online Campaign, Apparel / Fashion - Nike Sportswear + FADER Presents Pitch Perfect
- Best of Clicker Awards: “Best Web Music Show” – FADER TV
- min Online Editorial & Design Awards: Single Magazine Issue (Consumer) - The FADER
- Effie Worldwide: SILVER Award, Fashion & Style - Converse Connectivity
- Clicker: Best Web Music Show - FADER TV
- FOLIO Awards: Editorial Best Consumer, Entertainment, Single Article Gold Winner: “David Byrne Icon Cover Story” - The FADER
- FOLIO FAME Awards: Best Custom Advertiser Event: Silver Award - The FADER
- FOLIO Awards: Design, Best Overall Design, Consumer Silver Winner, May 2009 - The FADER
- Utne Independent Press Awards: Arts Coverage - The FADER
- FOLIO Awards: Best Full Issue, Consumer / Entertainment, Gold Winner: March 2009 Issue - The FADER
- FOLIO FAME Awards: Best Customer Advertiser Event, Silver Award - The FADER
- New York Enterprise: Best Small Business - Cornerstone
- FOLIO Awards: Editorial - Folio’s Gold Eddie Award for Best Full Issue of a Consumer/Entertainment Magazine: March 2008 Issue - The FADER
- FOLIO Awards: Editorial - Folio’s Gold Eddie Award for Best Online Column/Blog for Schnipper’s Slept On: March 4, 2008 - The FADER
- FOLIO Awards: Design - Folio’s Silver Ozzie Award for Best Use of Illustration, “Culture Clash”: July 2007 Issue - The FADER
- Pearl Award: Best Web Publication in the Digital Category: F2 - The FADER
- New York Enterprise: Small Business Best Practice Award, Leadership - Cornerstone
2006 – 2001
- 2005 - Advertising Age: 7th Best Magazine Cover of the Year - The FADER
- 2002 - New York Press End of Year Awards: Best Urban-Lifestyle Magazine - The FADER
- Jem Aswad (May 5, 2012). "L.A. Reid, Martin Bandier, Doug Morris, More Honor Jon Cohen at Syracuse University Event".
- Steve Marsh (February 2011). "I'm With the Brand". Delta Sky Magazine. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- Fountain of Youth. January 3, 2007. New York Enterprise Report: http://www.nyreport.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Feature.showFeature&FeatureID=406
- Cortney Harding (June 6, 2009). "Brand New Day: For Cornerstone Brands Are the New Record Labels and Corporations Are the New A&R Guys" (PDF). Billboard.
- somd.com. "Sweetlife Festival Grows from Backyard Concert to Big Attraction for Music Fans".
- MyMusicRx.org. "MyMusicRx: Our Friends".
- Nat Ives (December 19, 2005). "Best magazine covers". Advertising Age. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- Ben Ratliff (October 30, 2005). "Overcoming the Stereotype of Sexy and Sophisticated". New York Times.
- Fader Mag to Distribute Issues on iTunes. June 8, 2006. MediaPost: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=44274
- Ben Sisario (March 15, 2011). "In Austin, Music Lovers Get Parallel Universes". New York Times.
- Eleftheria Parpis (2008-07-14). "Converse turns up the noise". Adweek. Nielsen Company. Retrieved 2011-01-04.
- Elsa Keslassy (November 16, 2009). "Music honchos to hunker down at Midem". Variety.
- Stuart Dredge (January 25, 2010). "Converse, Pepsi and Cornerstone Talk Music Marketing".
- Andy Gensler (January 14, 2011). "atch B.o.B.'s Pepsi Ad for Falcons vs. Packers Game". Billboard.
- Edna Gunderson (August 14, 2012). "Most Popular E-mail Newsletter". USAToday.
- "Hermes Creative Awards". hermesawards.com. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "National Magazine Awards 2013 Finalists Announced". Magazine.org. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "Eddie & Ozzie Finalists – Awards Ceremony December 5 in NYC". FOLIOAwards.com. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "Diageo". Diageo.com. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "Record of the Day". recordoftheday.com. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "Brand Event Awards". brandeventawards.com. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "Music Week Awards". musicweekawards.com. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "Winners & Finalists: 2012". Magazine.org. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "The 2012 FOLIO: 40". FOLIOMag.com. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "2011 Folio: Award Winners Announced". Foliomag.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "OMMA Awards: 2011 Finalists". Mediapost.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "Min Online". minonline.com. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "Media Post". mediapost.com. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "Web Originals Lead Voting for Clicker's Best of 2010 Awards". Gigaom.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "min's Editorial and Design Awards" (PDF). minonline.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "Effie Worldwide". effie.org. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "Clicker Announces Best of 2009 Winners". Gigaom.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "2009 FOLIO: Awards Announced". Foliomag.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "2009 Eddie Award Winners". Foliomag.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "The Winners of the 2009 Utne Independent Press Awards". Utne.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "2009 FOLIO: Awards Announced". Foliomag.com. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "2009 Fame Awards Finalists Announced!". Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "Effie Worldwide". thesmallbizawards.com. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "2008 Eddie Award Winners". Foliomag.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "2008 Ozzie Award Winners". Foliomag.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "2008 Pearl Award Winners". CustomContentCouncil.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "New York Enterprise". nyreport.com=December 16, 2013.
- "Best Magazine Covers". AdAge.com. Retrieved November 26, 2013.