Jon Hall (programmer)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
Jon "maddog" Hall
|Born||August 7, 1950|
|Education||Master of Science, Computer Science; Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1977
Bachelor of Science, Commerce and Engineering; Drexel University, 1973
Jon "maddog" Hall (born 7 August 1950) is the Executive Director of Linux International, a non-profit organization of computer professionals who wish to support and promote Linux-based operating systems.
The nickname "maddog" was given to him by his students at Hartford State Technical College, where he was the Department Head of Computer Science. He now prefers to be called by this name. According to Hall, his nickname "came from a time when I had less control over my temper".
He has worked for Western Electric Corporation, Aetna Life and Casualty, Bell Laboratories, Digital Equipment Corporation (Digital), VA Linux Systems, and SGI. He was the CTO and ambassador of the now defunct computer appliance company Koolu.
It was during his time with Digital that he initially became interested in Linux, and was instrumental in obtaining equipment and resources for Linus Torvalds to accomplish his first port, to Digital's Alpha platform. It was also in this general timeframe that Hall, who lives in New Hampshire, started the Greater New Hampshire Linux Users' Group. Hall has UNIX as his New Hampshire vanity license plate.
Hall serves on the boards of several companies, and several non-profit organizations, including the USENIX Association. Hall has spoken about Linux and free software at the technology conference Campus Party five times since 2007, most recently in June 2014 in Campus Party Mexico. At the UK Linux and Open Source Awards 2006, Hall was honoured with a Lifetime Recognition Award for his services to the open source community. His latest ambition is Project Cauã.
- "Linux International". Li.org. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- Kane Fulton . "'Ubuntu on Android may help find next Einstein' | News". TechRadar. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- "Jon "maddog" Hall - CTO and Ambassador". Koolu. Archived from the original on 8 May 2009. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- "The most famous geek license plate in the world - UNIX with "Live Free or". NashuaTelegraph.com. 2012-10-10. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "Main Speakers at Campus Party 2010". Campus Party. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- Hall, Jon (24 June 2012). "In Honor of Alan Turing: A message from the sponsor". Linux Magazine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jon Hall.|
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (December 2013)|
- March 2012 Interview
- Jon 'Maddog' Hall at 2003 FOSDEM
- Interview with Jon Hall at the LinuxTag in Karlsruhe by RadioTux
- An Interview with Jon "Maddog" Hall,Executive Director of Linux International, at Linux World in Mexico City[dead link]
- Linux Link Tech Show interview (audio), 2006[dead link]
- Greater New Hampshire Linux User Group
- Interview on TWIT.TV's FLOSS Weekly Podcast
- linux today-words of a maddog
- International Community Wireless Summit 2007: Closing Plenary (audio), 2007
- John Maddog Hall, How opensource will dominate the world. at Linuxfest Northwest 2009. (bad audio)
- Maddog telling an experience that led to his nickname (audio)
- John Maddog Hall, "Free and Open Source Software in the developing world" at FrOSCon 2010[dead link]