Hein at the San Diego Comic-Con International in July 2011.
|Born||November 24, 1967|
New York City, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Occupation||Radio personality, webmaster (former)|
Jon Hein (born November 24, 1967) is an American radio personality and former webmaster. He created the website jumptheshark.com and works for The Howard Stern Show. Hein is an alumnus of the University of Michigan where he appeared in the sketch comedy troupe Comedy Company with Jon Glaser. The two also were a part of the comedy troupe Just Kidding.
Jump the Shark origins
Hein sold his company, Jump The Shark, Inc., to Gemstar (owners of TV Guide) on June 20, 2006 for "over $1 million". Some Stern staff have speculated that the site sold closer to $5–$10 million, however. The TV Guide website has since redirected the original jumptheshark.com website. For some time, the website was replaced with a celebrity gossip message board.
Sirius Satellite Radio
The Stern Show staff thought Hein was a good host on Super Fan Roundtable and chose him to be the host of The Wrap-Up Show with Stern producer Gary Dell'Abate as co-host. The show premiered on Howard's first day on Sirius, January 9, 2006, and has received very positive reviews from fans. Hein also hosted The Friday Show along with Gary Dell'Abate and Ralph Cirella on the Friday mornings when Stern took time off, although that show was replaced after a few months by Master Tape Theatre (Master Tape Theatre has since moved to Howard 101 on Sundays, replaced on Howard 100 by the Best of the Week, a montage show with clips from the Monday through Wednesday show).
Hein has become known as a fast food aficionado. He has vocalized his distaste for the fast food restaurant Burger King. Hein was subjected to a blindfolded taste test of burgers on Howard 101's "The Fast Food Show", where he correctly identified a Burger King, McDonald's, and Wendy's burger patty. Hein admitted on the August 17, 2010 Howard Stern Show that he now weighed 255 lbs. but refused to give up fast food. Hein admitted on the January 17, 2008 Stern show that he adjusts his insulin levels to be able to indulge in junk food, such as his favorite Oreo cupcake from Crumbs cupcakes. Hein is also the host of the Friday radio program "Geektime!", "Jon Hein's TV Show" on Thursdays, and the Fast Food Show all featured on Howard 101.
In 2012, Hein began to host his own television show, Fast Food Mania, on Destination America. In his show, Hein expresses his love of fast food by discussing the history of various restaurants, along with how their food is prepared.
In popular culture
Similar to Howard Stern's producer Gary Dell'Abate, Jon Hein has several media mentions in pop culture with the phrase "Hit em with the Hein". It was initially a phrase by a back-office staff member to mock Jon based on his perceived low-energy level as Jon would leave the office to attend to business unrelated to The Howard Stern Show. The phrase was then popularized by, an often on-air staff member, Jason Kaplan. It has been used on many PGA Tour events, in some cases to the dismay of the announcers.
This phrase has also been referenced by Jimmy Kimmel during the 2016 Emmy Award show.
Based on Jon's statements on The Howard Stern Show, he either enjoys the phrase or is annoyed by it largely based on perceived intent.
Singer Rick Astley produced a song dedicated to the 'Hit em with the Hein' concept on SoundCloud.
Connecticut-based musician Jamey Jasta, frontman of the metalcore band Hatebreed, released a song inspired by the phrase on his SoundCloud. Hit 'em with the Hein is also used in later versions of EA Sports' MLB the SHOW franchise by announcer Matt Vasgersian during gameplay.
- About JumpTheShark.com (archive)
- http://www.gemstartvguide.com/pressroom/display_pr.asp?prId=506[permanent dead link]
- "MarksFriggin.com - Stern Show News - Archive". www.marksfriggin.com.
- "MarksFriggin.com - Howard Stern Show News". www.marksfriggin.com.
- "sternfannetwork.com - Resources and Information". www.sternfannetwork.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-24. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "Show - Howard Stern". Howard Stern.
- "Fast Food Special on Howard 101 with Jon Hein & Jason Kaplan (Audio)". 17 August 2010.
- "Howard Stern: Howard TV Introduces "The Bonus Show" Starring John Hein and Rachel Fine - TMR Zoo". 1 March 2010.
- "Don't Miss Fast Food Mania, a Sizzling All-New Series". destinationamerica.com. Archived from the original on 8 June 2012. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Jon Hein at radioactivemedia.com
- "PGA Hit em With the Hein". Bing. 2016-10-21. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- "PGA and Stern". SiriusXM. 2016-10-21. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- "Jimmy Kimmel Emmy Hit em With the Hein". The Hollywood Reporter. 2016-10-21. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- "Hit em With the Hein". Rick Astley. 2016-10-21. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- "Jasta's Hit'em With the Hein". LoudWire. 2017-06-20. Retrieved 2017-06-20.