Jon J Muth
|Jon J Muth|
Muth in 2015.
|Born||Jon J Muth
July 28, 1960
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
|Awards||Eisner Award, 1995
Society of Illustrators Gold Medal, 1999
His works include J. M. DeMatteis' graphic novel Moonshadow, Grant Morrison's The Mystery Play, Neil Gaiman's The Sandman: The Wake with Michael Zulli and Charles Vess, Mike Carey's Lucifer: Nirvana and Swamp Thing: Roots. He received an Eisner Award in the category "Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (Interior Art)" in 1995 for his work on The Mystery Play. In addition, Muth has had an award-winning career as a children's book writer and illustrator. He explained that "A sense of joy is what moved me from comics to picture books. My work in children's books grew out of a desire to explore what I was feeling as a new father." He received a Gold Medal from the Society of Illustrators in 1999 for his illustrations in Come On, rain! by Karen Hesse. Muth created a version of the stone soup fable set in China and illustrated cards for the Magic: The Gathering collectible card game. In 2005, Muth collaborated with author Caroline Kennedy on A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children.
Muth has authored and illustrated a number of books for a variety of publishing houses.
- Vanitas: Paintings, Drawings and Ideas Tundra Publishing, 1991
- Pictures Places Stone Allen Spiegel Fine Arts, 1993
- Koan: Paintings by Jon J Muth & Kent Williams with Kent Williams, Allen Spiegel Fine Arts, November 2001, ISBN 978-0964206939
- The Three Questions Scholastic Press, April 2002, ISBN 978-0439199964
- Stone Soup Scholastic Press, March 2003 ISBN 978-0439339094
- Zen Shorts Scholastic Press, March 2005 ISBN 978-0439339117
- Zen Ties Scholastic Press, February 2008 ISBN 978-0439634250
- Zen Ghosts Scholastic Press, September 2010, ISBN 978-0439634304
- Hi Koo Scholastic Press, February 2014, ISBN 978-0545166683
- Zen Socks Scholastic Press, September 2015, ISBN 0545166691
Children's books illustrated
- Come On, Rain with author Karen Hesse, Scholastic Press, March 1999, ISBN 978-0590331258
- Putnam and Pennyroyal with author Patrick Jennings, Scholastic Press, November 1999, ISBN 978-0439079655
- Gershon's Monster: A Story for the Jewish New Year with author Eric A. Kimmel, Scholastic Press, September 2000, ISBN 978-0439108393
- Why I Will Never Ever Ever Ever Have Enough Time to Read This Book with author Remy Charlip, Tricycle Press, September 2000, ISBN 978-1582460185
- Our Gracie Aunt with author Jacqueline Woodson, Jump At The Sun, April 2002, ISBN 978-0786806201
- Old Turtle and the Broken Truth with author Douglas Wood, Scholastic Press, October 2003, ISBN 978-0439321099
- No Dogs Allowed! with author Sonia Manzano, Atheneum Books, April 2004, ISBN 978-0689830884
- A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children with author Caroline Kennedy, Hyperion Books, September 2005, ISBN 978-0786851119
- I Will Hold You 'till You Sleep with author Linda Zuckerman, Scholastic Press, October 2006, ISBN 978-0439434201
- Mr. George Baker with author Amy Hest, Walker Books, June 2007, ISBN 978-0763633080
- Stonecutter with author John Kuramoto, Feiwel & Friends, April 2009, ISBN 978-0-312-55456-9
- The Christmas Magic with author Lauren Thompson, Scholastic Press, September 2009, ISBN 978-0439774970
- City Dog, Country Frog with author Mo Willems, Hyperion Books, June 2010, ISBN 978-1423103004
- Dracula: A Symphony in Moonlight and Nightmares, Marvel Comics, 1986, ISBN 978-0871351715; NBM Publishing, January 1993 ISBN 978-1561630592
- The Mystery Play with author Grant Morrison, DC Comics, January 1994, ISBN 978-1563891083
- The Mythology of an Abandoned City Tundra Publishing, June 1994, ISBN 978-1879450561
- The Sandman: The Wake contributed the story "Exiles" with author Neil Gaiman, DC Comics, December 1996, ISBN 978-1852867737
- The Compleat Moonshadow with author J. M. DeMatteis, collects Moonshadow #1–12 and Farewell Moonshadow, DC Comics, February 1998, ISBN 978-1563893438
- Swamp Thing: Roots DC Comics, March 1998, 978-1563893773
- Havok and Wolverine: Meltdown with authors Walt Simonson, Louise Simonson and artist Kent Williams, collects Havok and Wolverine: Meltdown #1–4, Marvel Comics, March 2003, ISBN 978-0785110484
- Global Frequency: Planet Ablaze contributed the story "Big Skys" with author Warren Ellis, DC Comics, February 2004, ISBN 978-1401202743
- Lucifer, Book 11: Evensong contributed the story "Nirvana" with author Mike Carey, DC Comics, January 2007, ISBN 978-1401212001
- M based on the screenplay by Fritz Lang, collects M #1–4, Abrams Books, April 2008, ISBN 978-0810995222
- New Mutants #62 with author Louise Simonson, Marvel Comics, April 1988
- Silver Surfer #139–145 (#143–144 covers only) with author J. M. DeMatteis, Marvel Comics, 1998
- Miller, John Jackson (June 10, 2005). "Comics Industry Birthdays". Comics Buyer's Guide. Iola, Wisconsin. Archived from the original on October 30, 2010.
- Muth, Jon J (n.d.). "Information". Jonjmuth.com. Archived from the original on May 10, 2015.
- Daniels, Les (1995). DC Comics: Sixty Years of the World's Favorite Comic Book Heroes. New York, New York: Bulfinch Press. p. 208. ISBN 0821220764.
Writer Grant Morrison and painter Jon J Muth explored murder and metaphysics in The Mystery Play (1994).
- Bender, Hy (1999). The Sandman Companion. New York, New York: DC Comics. p. 270. ISBN 978-1563894657.
- Burgas, Greg (January 7, 2013). "Comics You Should Own – Sandman". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on April 10, 2014.
- Jon J Muth at the Grand Comics Database and Jon Jay Muth at the Grand Comics Database
- "1995 Will Eisner Comic Industry Award Nominees and Winners". Hahn Library Comic Book Awards Almanac. n.d. Archived from the original on March 12, 2016.
- Duncan, Andrew (2008). "Jon J Muth Interview". IndieBound.org. Archived from the original on October 25, 2012. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- Hopkinson, Deborah (May 2003). "Something old, something new: Jon J Muth's magical role as storyteller". BookPage.com. Archived from the original on September 6, 2013. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- "Jon J Muth". National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature. n.d. Archived from the original on May 14, 2017.
In 2005 Muth was asked by Caroline Kennedy to illustrate an anthology of poems. Their book, A Family Of Poems, went on to be a national bestseller. They did three collaborations celebrating poetry and language including 2013’s Poems To Learn By Heart.
- "Jon Jay Muth: Comics". Marvel Comics. Archived from the original on May 14, 2017.