Jon J Muth
|Jon J Muth|
Muth in 2011
|Born||Jon J Muth
July 28, 1960
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
|Awards||Society of Illustrators Gold Medal, 1999|
His works include J. M. DeMatteis' graphic novel Moonshadow, Grant Morrison's The Mystery Play, Neil Gaiman's The Sandman: The Wake with Michael Zulli and Charles Vess, Mike Carey's Lucifer: Nirvana and Swamp Thing: Roots. Muth has had an award-winning career as a children's book writer and illustrator. He explained that "A sense of joy is what moved me from comics to picture books. My work in children's books grew out of a desire to explore what I was feeling as a new father." He received a Gold Medal from the Society of Illustrators in 1999 for his illustrations in Come On, Rain! by Karen Hesse. Muth created a version of the stone soup fable set in China and illustrated cards for the Magic: The Gathering collectible card game.
Muth has authored and illustrated a number of books for a variety of publishing houses.
- Vanitas: Paintings, Drawings and Ideas Tundra Publishing, 1991
- Pictures Places Stone Allen Spiegel Fine Arts, 1993
- Koan: Paintings by Jon J Muth & Kent Williams with Kent Williams, Allen Spiegel Fine Arts, November 2001, ISBN 978-0964206939
- The Three Questions Scholastic Press, April 2002, ISBN 978-0439199964
- Stone Soup Scholastic Press, March 2003 ISBN 978-0439339094
- Zen Shorts Scholastic Press, March 2005 ISBN 978-0439339117
- Zen Ties Scholastic Press, February 2008 ISBN 978-0439634250
- Zen Ghosts Scholastic Press, September 2010, ISBN 978-0439634304
- Hi Koo Scholastic Press, February 2014, ISBN 978-0545166683
Children's books illustrated
- Come On, Rain with author Karen Hesse, Scholastic Press, March 1999, ISBN 978-0590331258
- Putnam and Pennyroyal with author Patrick Jennings, Scholastic Press, November 1999, ISBN 978-0439079655
- Gershon's Monster: A Story for the Jewish New Year with author Eric A. Kimmel, Scholastic Press, September 2000, ISBN 978-0439108393
- Why I Will Never Ever Ever Ever Have Enough Time to Read This Book with author Remy Charlip, Tricycle Press, September 2000, ISBN 978-1582460185
- Our Gracie Aunt with author Jacqueline Woodson, Jump At The Sun, April 2002, ISBN 978-0786806201
- Old Turtle and the Broken Truth with author Douglas Wood, Scholastic Press, October 2003, ISBN 978-0439321099
- No Dogs Allowed! with author Sonia Manzano, Atheneum Books, April 2004, ISBN 978-0689830884
- A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children with author Caroline Kennedy, Hyperion Books, September 2005, ISBN 978-0786851119
- I Will Hold You 'till You Sleep with author Linda Zuckerman, Scholastic Press, October 2006, ISBN 978-0439434201
- Mr. George Baker with author Amy Hest, Walker Books, June 2007, ISBN 978-0763633080
- Stonecutter with author John Kuramoto, Feiwel & Friends, April 2009, ISBN 978-0-312-55456-9
- The Christmas Magic with author Lauren Thompson, Scholastic Press, September 2009, ISBN 978-0439774970
- City Dog, Country Frog with author Mo Willems, Hyperion Books, June 2010, ISBN 978-1423103004
- Dracula: A Symphony in Moonlight and Nightmares, Marvel Comics, 1986, ISBN 978-0871351715; NBM Publishing, January 1993 ISBN 978-1561630592
- The Mystery Play with author Grant Morrison, DC Comics, January 1994, ISBN 978-1563891083
- The Mythology of an Abandoned City Tundra Publishing, June 1994, ISBN 978-1879450561
- The Sandman: The Wake contributed the story "Exiles" with author Neil Gaiman, DC Comics, December 1996, ISBN 978-1852867737
- The Compleat Moonshadow with author J. M. DeMatteis, collects Moonshadow #1-12 and Farewell Moonshadow, DC Comics, February 1998, ISBN 978-1563893438
- Swamp Thing: Roots DC Comics, March 1998, 978-1563893773
- Havok and Wolverine: Meltdown with authors Walt Simonson, Louise Simonson and artist Kent Williams, collects Havok and Wolverine: Meltdown #1-4, Marvel Comics, March 2003, ISBN 978-0785110484
- Global Frequency: Planet Ablaze contributed the story "Big Skys" with author Warren Ellis, DC Comics, February 2004, ISBN 978-1401202743
- Lucifer, Book 11: Evensong contributed the story "Nirvana" with author Mike Carey, DC Comics, January 2007, ISBN 978-1401212001
- M based on the screenplay by Fritz Lang, collects M #1-4, Abrams Books, April 2008, ISBN 978-0810995222
- New Mutants #62 with author Louise Simonson, Marvel Comics, April 1988
- Silver Surfer #139-145 (#143-144 covers only) with author J. M. DeMatteis, Marvel Comics, 1998
- Miller, John Jackson (June 10, 2005). "Comics Industry Birthdays". Comics Buyer's Guide. Archived from the original on October 29, 2010.
- Muth, Jon J (n.d.). "Information". Jonjmuth.com. Archived from the original on May 10, 2015.
- Daniels, Les (1995). DC Comics: Sixty Years of the World's Favorite Comic Book Heroes. Bulfinch Press. p. 208. ISBN 0821220764.
Writer Grant Morrison and painter Jon J Muth explored murder and metaphysics in The Mystery Play (1994).
- Bender, Hy (1999). The Sandman Companion. DC Comics. p. 270. ISBN 978-1563894657.
- Burgas, Greg (January 7, 2013). "Comics You Should Own – Sandman". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on April 10, 2014.
- Duncan, Andrew (2008). "Jon J Muth Interview". IndieBound.org. Archived from the original on October 25, 2013. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- Hopkinson, Deborah (May 2003). "Something old, something new: Jon J Muth's magical role as storyteller". BookPage.com. Archived from the original on September 6, 2013. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- "Jon Jay Muth: Comics". Marvel Comics. Archived from the original on June 27, 2015.
- Official website
- Jon J Muth at the Grand Comics Database
- Jon J Muth at DC Comics.com
- Jon J Muth at Hyperion
- Jon J Muth at Scholastic
- Jon J Muth at Library of Congress Authorities, with 37 catalog records