Jon Landau (film producer)
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (July 2018)
Landau in 2010
July 23, 1960|
New York City, New York
Jon Landau (born July 23, 1960) is an American film producer, known for producing Titanic (1997), a film which won him an Academy Award and earned $2.19 billion in gross revenues, and Avatar (2009), which earned $2.79 billion. As of 2018, these are still the two highest grossing films of all time.
Landau was born in New York City, New York, the son of Edie, a producer, and Ely A. Landau, a studio executive and producer. He is from a Jewish family. He attended the USC School of Cinematic Arts.
He is best known for producing Titanic (1997), a film which won him an Academy Award and became the highest grossing film of all time, the first ever to reach $2.0 billion in gross revenues. The film reached $2.19 billion, more than double the $1.03 billion of then-record-holder Jurassic Park (1993).
In 2009, Landau and James Cameron produced the science fiction blockbuster Avatar, which has since surpassed their earlier collaboration, Titanic, to become the new (and reigning) highest grossing film of all time, with $2.79 billion. Avatar earned Landau his second Academy Award nomination, losing that year to The Hurt Locker.
- Florida Film Critics Circle Award - Titanic - 1997
- Golden Globe Award - Titanic - 1997
- MTV Movie Award - Titanic - 1997
- Academy Award - Titanic - 1997
- Producers Guild of America Darryl F Zanuck Theatrical Motion Picture Producer of the Year Award - Titanic - (1997)
- Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Award - Titanic - 1997
- People Choice Award - Titanic - 1997
- Golden Globe Award - Avatar - 2009
- Campus Man (1987) - Producer
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989) - Co-producer
- Dick Tracy (1990) - Co-producer
- Titanic (1997) - Producer, with James Cameron
- Solaris (2002) - Producer, with James Cameron
- Avatar (2009) - Producer, with James Cameron
- Alita: Battle Angel (2018) - Producer, with James Cameron
- Avatar 2 (2020) - Producer, with James Cameron
- Avatar 3 (2021) - Producer, with James Cameron
|This article about an American film producer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|