March 23, 1984 |
|April 20, 2010, for the Los Angeles Dodgers|
(through 2010 season)
|Earned run average||4.15|
Jon Paul Link (born March 23, 1984) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Wichita Wingnuts of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball. He previously played for the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2010.
Chicago White Sox
The Padres traded him to the Chicago White Sox on July 31, 2007 for Rob Mackowiak. In 2008, he was selected to the Southern League All-Star Game while playing for the Birmingham Barons, joining fellow Barons Miguel Negron, Ricardo Nanita, Justin Cassel, and Carlos Torres. He was the only Baron on the post-season All-Star team, elected as the relief pitcher. He reached AAA with the Charlotte Knights in 2009, where he saved 13 games.
Los Angeles Dodgers
On December 18, 2009, he was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers (along with John Ely) for Juan Pierre. He began the 2010 season as the closer for the Triple-A Albuquerque Isotopes. On April 18, he was called up to the Dodgers, making his first appearance on a Major League roster. He made his Major League debut on April 20, 2010 against the Cincinnati Reds. He worked two scoreless innings of relief in his debut and was then optioned back to Albuquerque after the game. Link was also on the Dodgers' roster for a few days in June when Chad Billingsley was injured. Link was recalled for the third time on July 11, while the Dodgers optioned the man he was traded with, John Ely, to Triple-A Albuquerque in the process. He returned to AAA soon after before rejoining the Dodgers when rosters expanded in September. Overall, he appeared in 9 games with the Dodgers, working 8.2 innings for a 4.15 ERA. With Albuquerque he was 3–2 with a 3.71 ERA in 45 games, and also made one start. After the season, he pitched for the Phoenix Desert Dogs in the Arizona Fall League. After clearing waivers on April 5, 2011, Link was assigned to the Isotopes.
Link spent all of 2011 with the Isotopes, where he appeared in 54 games (including making 1 start) and was 2–2 with a 4.24 ERA and 11 saves.
The Baltimore Orioles signed Link to a minor league contract on December 16, 2011. He appeared in 18 games in AAA for the Norfolk Tides and was 1-2 with a 3.48 ERA before the Orioles released him.
After making 7 starts to begin 2013 with the Wichita Wingnuts in the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball, he signed a minor league contract with the Detroit Tigers, where he was assigned to Double-A Erie. After 5 starts with the SeaWolves, he was promoted to Triple-A Toledo, where he made 11 appearances (7 starts) before season's end. In 23 appearances (19 starts) in 2013, he went 9-6 with a 2.80 ERA, striking out 78 in 135 innings.
Miami Marlins (second stint)
Link returned to Wichita for the 2016 season.
- Merkin, Scott (July 31, 2007). "Notes: Mackowiak feeling down". MLB.com. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- "Transactions". The Pantagraph. Bloomington, Illinois. August 1, 2007. p. 14. Retrieved February 28, 2015 – via Newspapers.com.
- "MLB: White Sox sends Ely, Link to Dodgers". Deseret News. December 18, 2009. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- "Dodgers send Russ Ortiz to Triple-A | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com". UT San Diego. Associated Press. April 18, 2010. Retrieved May 16, 2016.
- "Reds end five-game losing streak with win vs. Dodgers". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 20, 2010. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- "Billingsley to be activated for Monday start". CBS Sports. June 27, 2010. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- "Billingsley coming off DL for Monday start". MLB.com. June 27, 2010. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- Jackson, Tony (July 11, 2010). "Dodgers demote Ely; Link recalled". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- Drellich, Evan (July 11, 2010). "Ely optioned to Triple-A; Link called up". MLB.com. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- Weisman, Jon (April 5, 2011). "John Lindsey, Jon Link sent to Triple-A". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- Connolly, Dan (December 16, 2011). "O's sign Newby, Link, Richardson and Cruz to minor league deals". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- "Wingnuts Pitcher Jon Link Purchased By Detroit Tigers". KAKE. Retrieved March 1, 2015.
- "Wingnuts' Ace Link Has Contract Purchased by Marlins". Witchita Wingnuts. August 23, 2014. Archived from the original on March 1, 2015. Retrieved February 28, 2015.