Jon Meacham, 2014
|Born||Jon Ellis Meacham
May 20, 1969
Chattanooga, Tennessee, U.S.
|Occupation||Writer, journalist, editor|
|Alma mater||The University of the South, The McCallie School|
|Notable awards||Pulitzer Prize|
|Spouse||Margaret Keith Smythe Meacham|
Jon Ellis Meacham (//; born May 20, 1969) is a presidential historian. A former Executive Editor and Executive Vice President at Random House, he is a contributing writer to The New York Times Book Review, a contributing editor to Time magazine, and a former Editor-in-Chief of Newsweek. He won the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography for American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House. Meacham also wrote Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power (2012). Additionally, he is currently a Visiting Professor of Political Science at Vanderbilt University.
Life and career
Meacham has received honorary degrees from Dickinson College, Middlebury College, Wake Forest University, the University of Tennessee, the Berkeley Divinity School at Yale University, and The University of the South, among other colleges.
From May 2010 to April 2011, Meacham was co-host with Alison Stewart of Need to Know on PBS. He is also a frequent guest on MSNBC's Morning Joe and has appeared multiple times on HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher.
He is also a frequent contributor panelist on many MSNBC programs, such as The 11th Hour with Brian Williams.
- Voices in Our Blood: America's Best on the Civil Rights Movement (editor). New York: Random House. 2001. ISBN 978-0-375-75881-2.
- Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship. New York: Random House. 2003. ISBN 978-0-8129-7282-5.
- American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation. New York: Random House. 2006. ISBN 978-0-8129-7666-3.
- American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House. New York: Random House. 2008. ISBN 978-1-4000-6325-3.[A]
- American Homer: Reflections on Shelby Foote and His Classic The Civil War: A Narrative (editor). New York: Random House. 2011.
- Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power. New York: Random House. 2012. ISBN 978-1-4000-6766-4.
- Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush. New York: Random House. 2015. ISBN 978-1-4000-6765-7.
Jon Meacham has received Honorary Degrees from several Universities, These Include
|Tennessee||15 May 2010||Sewanee: The University of the South||Doctorate  |
|Pennsylvania||May 2010||Dickinson College||Doctor of Journalism (DJ) |
|Louisiana||12 May 2012||Loyola University New Orleans||Doctor of Humane Letters (DHL)  |
|North Carolina||2017||Wake Forest University||Doctor of Letters (D.Litt) |
|Vermont||28 May 2017||Middlebury College||Doctor of Letters (D.Litt) |
|Tennessee||December 2017||University of Tennessee||Doctor of Humane Letters (DHL) |
|Massachusetts||19 May 2018||University of Massachusetts Lowell||Doctorate |
- "Profile". Department of Political Science. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- Calderone, Michael (April 24, 2009). "Newsweek's Meacham prepares to leave the magazine | The Upshot Yahoo! News". News.yahoo.com. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- Jon Meacham (June 15, 2010). "Authors". Newsweek. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Commentary Magazine article". Commentary Magazine article. October 16, 2010. Archived from the original on August 6, 2010. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "2009 Pulitzer Prizes". www.pulitzer.org.
- Gregg, Becca (2010-05-23). "Dickinson College sends graduates into the world". The Sentinel. Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Joe: Donald Trump's hostile takeover of the Republican Party". Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "Meacham: Bush knew exactly what he was saying". Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- Real Time with Bill Maher (2016-01-22), Real Time with Bill Maher: Overtime – January 22, 2016 (HBO), retrieved 2016-06-30
- Real Time with Bill Maher (2015-04-17), Real Time with Bill Maher: Overtime – April 17, 2015 (HBO), retrieved 2016-06-30
- "The 2009 Pulitzer Prize Winners: Biography or Autobiography". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2013-11-26. With biographical blurb and dustjacket description.
The Legacy of The George H.W. Bush Administration, interview by, Weisberg, Jacob M. February 17, 2016, transcript.
|Library resources about
- Official website
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Interview about Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship, Booknotes, February 15, 2004
- Meacham discusses Franklin & Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library
- Jon Meacham at Library of Congress Authorities, with 7 catalog records