Jon Meacham, 2014
|Born||Jon Ellis Meacham|
May 20, 1969
Chattanooga, Tennessee, U.S.
|Occupation||Writer, journalist, editor|
|Residence||Belle Meade, Tennessee|
|Alma mater||The University of the South|
|Notable awards||Pulitzer Prize|
|Spouse||Margaret Keith Smythe Meacham|
Jon Ellis Meacham (//; born May 20, 1969) is a presidential biographer. A former Executive Editor and Executive Vice President at Random House, he is a contributing writer to The New York Times Book Review, a contributing editor to Time magazine, and a former Editor-in-Chief of Newsweek. He is the author of several books. He won the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography for American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House. He is currently the Rogers Chair for the Study of the Presidency and a distinguished visiting professor in the Department of Political Science at Vanderbilt University.
From May 2010 to April 2011, Meacham was co-host with Alison Stewart of Need to Know on PBS. He is also a frequent guest on MSNBC's Morning Joe and has appeared multiple times on HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher. He is a frequent contributor panelist on many MSNBC programs, such as The 11th Hour with Brian Williams.
Meacham taught History at his alma mater, the University of the South, in 2014. He is a visiting professor of Political Science at Vanderbilt University. He has been strongly critical of President Donald Trump. In a 2018 New York Times article, he compared Trump to the Rev. Charles Coughlin, a Catholic priest known for his passionate radio sermons sprinkled with antisemitism. Meacham also drew an unfavorable comparison of Trump's manner of speaking with the more eloquent styles of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan.
Meacham was awarded honorary doctorates from several universities: Dickinson College and his alma mater, The University of the South, in May 2010; Loyola University New Orleans in 2012; Wake Forest University, Middlebury College and the University of Tennessee in 2017; and the University of Massachusetts Lowell in 2018.
- Voices in Our Blood: America's Best on the Civil Rights Movement (editor). New York: Random House. 2001. ISBN 978-0-375-75881-2.
- Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship. New York: Random House. 2003. ISBN 978-0-8129-7282-5.
- American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation. New York: Random House. 2006. ISBN 978-0-8129-7666-3.
- American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House. New York: Random House. 2008. ISBN 978-1-4000-6325-3.
- American Homer: Reflections on Shelby Foote and His Classic The Civil War: A Narrative (editor). New York: Random House. 2011.
- Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power. New York: Random House. 2012. ISBN 978-1-4000-6766-4.
- Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush. New York: Random House. 2015. ISBN 978-1-4000-6765-7.
- The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels. New York: Random House. 2018. ISBN 978-0-3995-8981-2.
- "Jon Meacham (C'91) returns to Sewanee as a history professor". The Sewanee Purple. February 15, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- Calderone, Michael (April 24, 2009). "Newsweek's Meacham prepares to leave the magazine | The Upshot Yahoo! News". News.yahoo.com. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- Jon Meacham (June 15, 2010). "Authors". Newsweek. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Commentary Magazine article". Commentary Magazine article. October 16, 2010. Archived from the original on August 6, 2010. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "2009 Pulitzer Prizes". www.pulitzer.org.
- "Joe: Donald Trump's hostile takeover of the Republican Party". Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "Meacham: Bush knew exactly what he was saying". Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- Real Time with Bill Maher (2016-01-22), Real Time with Bill Maher: Overtime – January 22, 2016 (HBO), retrieved 2016-06-30
- Real Time with Bill Maher (2015-04-17), Real Time with Bill Maher: Overtime – April 17, 2015 (HBO), retrieved 2016-06-30
- "Profile". Department of Political Science. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- Meacham, Jon (May 3, 2018). "Why Trump Is More Father Coughlin Than Franklin Roosevelt". The New York Times. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- Gregg, Becca (2010-05-23). "Dickinson College sends graduates into the world". The Sentinel. Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Sewanee honors Bush, Meacham".
- "Sewanee announces honorary degree recipients". 12 May 2010.
- "Honorary Degrees - Commencement - Loyola University New Orleans". www.loyno.edu.
- "Pulitzer Prize winner Jon Meacham to address Loyola's centennial class - Loyola University New Orleans". www.loyno.edu.
- "Honorary degrees – Jon Meacham". Wake Forest University. 2017.
- "Jon Meacham to Give Middlebury College Commencement Address". Middlebury College. April 6, 2017.
- "Board of Trustees Approves Honorary Degree for Pulitzer Prize Writer Meacham". 30 March 2017.
- "Pulitzer Winner, Congresswoman to Address Class of 2018".
- "Headline Homes: Nashville's top sales, December 2011". Nashville Post. January 15, 2012. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- Meacham, Jon. "God and Gays" – via ideas.time.com.
|Library resources about |
- Official website
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Interview about Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship, Booknotes, February 15, 2004
- Meacham discusses Franklin & Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library
- Jon Meacham at Library of Congress Authorities, with 7 catalog records