Jonathan Andrew Pritikin
|Born||February 26, 1973|
Rockford, Illinois, United States
Jon Pritikin (born February 26, 1973) is an American strongman and motivational speaker.
Early life and education
Pritikin, born in Rockford, Illinois to a Jewish family, had speech and learning disabilities as a child. Placed in special education in first grade, he was bullied and abused by schoolmates and neighborhood children, and has said he had no friends.
Since graduating, he has shared his anti-bullying message in the United States and around the world. He uses feats of strength as a tool to grab people's attention; he is the Guinness record holder for "the tightest circumference of two aluminum frying pans rolled together with his bare hands in less than 30 seconds". In 1994 he started a non-profit organization, Feel the Power. Since then he has spoken to more than 3 million people.
Pritikin is also involved in an anti-steroid program known as S.W.A.T.S., which is an acronym for Sports With Alternatives to Steroids.
- Socha, Evamarie (3 December 2010). "Open eyes and minds". The Daily Item. Sunbury, Pennsylvania. Retrieved 5 February 2012.
- Moore, Mike (19 April 2010). "Strength from within: Speaker shows off physical prowess, urges another kind". The Journal Times. Retrieved 5 February 2012.
- "Strength comes in many packages, students told". The Carmi Times. 15 February 2011. Archived from the original on 24 July 2012. Retrieved 5 February 2012.
- Niederberger, Mary (9 October 2008). "Strongman urges end to bullying in schools". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 5 February 2012.
- Turnbull, Jessica (19 November 2009). "Guinness record-holder tells students to be strong against bullies". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Archived from the original on 27 November 2009. Retrieved 5 February 2012.
- Urban, Kelly (2 September 2009). "Bodybuilder urges kids to build character". The Tribune Democrat. Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Retrieved 5 February 2012.
- "Testimonials". Antisteroidprogram.com. Archived from the original on 30 December 2010. Retrieved 5 February 2012.
- Brian DeNeal (4 February 2011). "Jon Pritikin to bring anti-bullying message to area schools". The Daily Register. Harrisburg, Illinois. Retrieved 5 February 2012.