Rudkin was appointed the Academy Manager at Leicester City in June 2003 having previously been a schoolboy in the City youth system himself when he was 16 and working as a youth coach since 1998. After working as a coach on a part-time basis Rudkin took up the full-time post of Head Coach at the then centre of excellence. During that period Leicester produced a number of outstanding talents which have progressed from the Academy to the first team – including Emile Heskey and Matt Piper.
Rudkin holds the UEFA Pro licence and has completed the Academy Director's licence. On 29 August 2007, he jointly took over managerial responsibility of Leicester after Martin Allen left by mutual consent.
Rudkin has since overseen the development of players through the Leicester City youth academy such as Andy King, Joe Mattock, Richard Stearman, Jeffrey Schlupp and Liam Moore. All five having gained international recognition in the form of either a full international cap or an Under-21 international cap.
Director of Football
- As of 13 September 2007.
|Leicester City (caretaker)||29 August 2007||13 September 2007||1||0||1||0||0.0|||
- Jon Rudkin to mastermind Leicester City's January transfer dealings in role as new director of football, Leicester Mercury , Retrieved on 15 December 2014
- "Allen ends brief Leicester reign". BBC Sport. 29 August 2007. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- "Leicester City Makes Change In Director Of Football Role". Leicester City F.C. Retrieved on 14 December 2014.
- "Megson excited by Leicester job". BBC Sport. 13 September 2007. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- "Results/matches: 2007/08". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 18 May 2016.