Jonathan Peter Taffer
November 7, 1954
Great Neck, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Entrepreneur, Hospitality consultant, television host, author|
|Known for||Bar Rescue|
|Spouse(s)||Nicole Taffer (m. 2000)|
Taffer graduated from William A. Shine Great Neck South High School in Great Neck, New York in 1972 and, after a short time at the University of Denver studying political science and minoring in cultural anthropology, he relocated to Los Angeles.
Taffer's first bar management job was at The Troubadour night club in West Hollywood in 1978. He was given full control of the bar in 1981 where staff theft was rife. He opened his first bar as owner in 1989.
In 2010, he was appointed as president of the Nightclub and Bar Media Group, a division of Questex Media Group, which is responsible for Nightclub & Bar Magazine as well as the annual Nightclub & Bar Convention and Trade Show.
He was one of the first six inductees in the Nightclub Hall of Fame. On July 17, 2011, a reality television series, Bar Rescue, premiered on Spike TV (now the Paramount Network), that follows Taffer as he revitalizes failing bars and nightclubs across the United States. His wife Nicole occasionally appears on the show as a mystery shopper who assesses the quality of the bar before Taffer does the makeover.
Taffer invented the NFL Sunday Ticket pay programming package, and was instrumental in the marketing, distribution and sales programs, of that endevor, for which he served on the Board of NFL Enterprises for three years.
In October 2013 New Harvest published published Raise the Bar: An Action-Based Method for Maximum Customer Reactions, a book by Taffer and co-writer Karen Kelly, detailing the knowledge that Taffer acquired over the course of 40 years in the bar and nightlife business.
- Jon Taffer talks Bars and Business, Business Rockstars/YouTube, November 4, 2015, retrieved February 16, 2017[dead link]
- "Great Neck South Class of 1972: Jon Taffer". Class of 1972. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Matus, Victorino (September 22, 2011). "Jon Taffer Was a Political Science Major?". Victorino Matus: Eat, Drink, Bloviate. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Barstool Bro Show Featuring Jon Taffer, Barstool Sports/YouTube, October 19, 2013, retrieved February 16, 2017
- Jon Taffer Interview for Mobile Beat Magazine, Mobile Beat/YouTube, November 23, 2015, retrieved February 12, 2019
- Trachta, Ali (July 12, 2011). "Q&A with Bar Rescue's Jon Taffer: 'Everything is to Make Money'". LA Weekly. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Apparatus and method for selecting and playing music". Google Patents. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Klment, David (Editor) (January 20, 2010). "Jon Taffer to Lead Integrated Nightclub & Bar Media Group". Nightclub & Bar. Retrieved February 12, 2019.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Feloni, Richard (April 30, 2015). "'Bar Rescue' host Jon Taffer explains the valuable lesson he learned from losing $600,000 early in his career". Business Insider. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Jon Taffer". Nightclub Hall of Fame. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Bar Rescue: Nicole Taffer Gives Bars The Ladies' Touch". Paramount Network/YouTube. December 16, 2011. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Patten, Dominic (April 7, 2014). "‘Bar Rescue’ Host & Production Company Hit With Assault & Battery Lawsuit: Video". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Information Statement Pursuant to Section 14F-1/A of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934". Washington, D.C.: Securities and Exchange Commission. December 30, 2002. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "Nightclub King Jon Taffer Sets A High Bar". NPR. December 1, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Agreda, Victor, Jr. (November 25, 2014). "Jon Taffer's BarHQ app wants to increase your profits". Engadget. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Bazilian, Emma (May 19, 2015). "Whether It’s Online or IRL, Bar Rescue’s Jon Taffer Is All About Authenticity". Adweek. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Schulte, Stephanie (September 12, 2018). "5 things we learned about Jon Taffer and 'Bar Rescue'". The Mercury News. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Taffer, Jon. "PodcastOne: Jon Taffer: No Excuses". PodcastOne. Retrieved February 8, 2019.