Toogood in Auckland, October 2015
|Birth name||Jonathan Charles Toogood|
|Born||9 August 1971|
|Origin||Wellington, New Zealand|
|Genres||Alternative rock, hard rock, industrial rock, pop, worldbeat, acoustic rock|
Warner Music Group
Jonathan Charles Toogood (born in Wellington, New Zealand, on 9 August 1971) is the frontman (lead vocals and guitar) of the New Zealand rock band Shihad. He formed the band in 1988 with fellow Wellingtonian Tom Larkin. Toogood and Larkin met as teenage fans of AC/DC and Metallica.
In 2009 Toogood revealed he had been travelling around New Zealand to collaborate with other New Zealand artists for a project that is "extra-curricular" to Shihad's music. Confirmed collaborators included Tiki Taane, Ruban and Kody Neilson from the Mint Chicks, Julia Deans from Fur Patrol, Anika Moa, Shayne Carter of Dimmer/Straitjacket Fits fame and Ladi 6. "The Adults" was released as a full-length album in New Zealand in June 2011. Toogood subsequently toured NZ and Australia under this banner, joined onstage by Deans and Carter.
Toogood is not related to the broadcasting icon Selwyn Toogood, as his parents migrated from England to New Zealand in the 1950s. Toogood was a keen cricket player in high school, and at one stage captained the Wellington secondary schools' representative cricket team.
As of April 2005, Toogood was married to Ronise Paul, with whom he had a stepdaughter named Anaya. Toogood married Dana Salih, who is a Sudanese Muslim, in Sudan in 2014. Toogood had converted to Islam prior to the wedding.
- McQuillan, Laura (17 August 2009), "Shihad's Week-Long 21st Party", The Dominion Post/Stuff.co.nz, retrieved 10 September 2009
- Kara, Scott (12 April 2008), "Once More With Feeling", The New Zealand Herald, retrieved 10 September 2009
- Duda, Marty. "The Adults – The Adults (Warner Music) review". 13thfloor.co.nz. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- Miller, Andrew (May 2008). "Shihad - It's A Beautiful Thing | NZ Musician". New Zealand Music Magazine. Archived from the original on 17 August 2016.
- Kara, Scott (22 June 2007), "A Quick Word With: Jon Toogood", New Zealand Herald, retrieved 10 September 2009
- Kara, Scott (15 April 2005), "Repiling the rock foundations", New Zealand Herald, retrieved 13 April 2019
- Dekker, Diana (15 February 2014). "NZ's hard rocker gone soft?". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- Behan, Alex (13 April 2019), "Shihad's Jon Toogood on being Muslim, changing his band's name and keeping the faith", Stuff.co.nz, retrieved 13 April 2019