|Born||Jonathan Cruz Tuck
August 28, 1984
Chalan Pago-Ordot, Guam, United States
|Other names||Super Saiyan|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||73.0 in (185 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Guam, USA (Hagatna, Guam)|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
|Representing United States|
|World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Cup|
|2010 Abu Dhabi, UAE||Open Light |
|2010 Abu Dhabi, UAE||-78 kg |
Jonathan Cruz Tuck (born August 28, 1984) also known as Super Saiyan is a Chamorro American professional mixed martial artist. Tuck is the first Chamorro native from Guam to be signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and competes Lightweight division.
- 1 Background
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Championships and accomplishments
- 4 Mixed martial arts record
- 5 See also
- 6 External links
- 7 References
Tuck grew up with a love of martial arts, which he attributes to being from the culture of warriors, the Chamorros. Tuck began training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and MMA with his cousin, about six years before coming to the UFC. Tuck attended college at the University of Guam and was studying physical education before dropping out because of his career in fighting. However, he does plan on finishing his college education in the near future. Before becoming a professional MMA fighter, Tuck also worked as a power plant operator.
Mixed martial arts career
Tuck made his professional debut in 2007, earning his first win over Joe Nauta via rear-naked choke early in the first round. His second fight was against John Salas, winning via TKO (doctor stoppage).
On November 17, 2007 Tuck made his debut in Pacific Xtreme Combat against Giovanni Sablan. He shows his grappling skills by defeating Sablan via rear-naked choke. After a year layoff he returned to fighting. He defeated Thomas Calvo via Rear-Naked-Choke in the first round.
On November 21, 2009 he made his debut in Gorilla Warfare, in a Superfight against his toughest opponent yet, URCC Welterweight Champion, Martial Combat Champion, ONE FC Lightweight Champion Eduard Folayang. He defeated Folayang via KO in just eight seconds.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Career
Tuck competed in the World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Cup. He won the gold medal in the finals against Mohammed Naser in the Open Light division. Despite having a knee injury, Tuck competed in the -78 kg division placing second, which secured him the silver medal.
Comeback in MMA
After competing in Brazilian jiu-jitsu tournaments all over the world, Tuck finally returned to MMA, defeating former Strikeforce fighter Tristan Arenal. Tuck got hit with some solid punches, stayed calm and composed. Tuck got a takedown, then knocked Arenal unconscious with ground and pound punches.
The Ultimate Fighter
In February 2012, Tuck was announced as a cast member of The Ultimate Fighter 15. In his first fight, Tuck lost via unanimous decision to eventual finalist Al Iaquinta in the elimination round to get into the house. Tuck dislocated a toe during the fight.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Tuck was expected to face Norman Parke on April 20, 2013 at UFC on Fox 7. However, the bout was scrapped during the week leading up to the event as Tuck was forced out of the bout with an injury.
Tuck was expected to face Yosdenis Cedeno on June 7, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 42. However, Cedeno pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Jake Lindsey. He won the fight via submission in the third round due to heel strikes to the body.
Tuck was expected to face Nick Hein on May 8, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 87. However, just days before the event, Hein pulled out citing injury. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Josh Emmett. Tuck lost the back and forth fight via split decision.
Tuck was scheduled to face Mehdi Baghdad on October 15, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 97. However, Baghdad pulled out of the fight in mid-September citing injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Alex Volkanovski. In turn, the promotion announced on October 6 that they had cancelled the event entirely.
Tuck was quickly rescheduled, and is expected to face Damien Brown on November 27, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 101. Though the Ultimate Fighting Championships fight statistics had Tuck winning the fight, the judges awarded a split decision victory to Brown.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|13 matches||9 wins||4 losses|
|Loss||9–4||Damien Brown||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Brunson||November 27, 2016||3||5:00||Melbourne, Australia|
|Loss||9–3||Josh Emmett||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs. Arlovski||May 8, 2016||3||5:00||Rotterdam, Netherlands|
|Win||9–2||Tae Hyun Bang||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Faber||May 16, 2015||1||3:56||Pasay, Philippines||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||8–2||Kevin Lee||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 178||September 27, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Tuck was deducted one point for a groin kick in round two.|
|Win||8–1||Jake Lindsey||Submission (heel kicks to the body)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Khabilov||June 7, 2014||3||2:47||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Loss||7–1||Norman Parke||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Munoz||October 26, 2013||3||5:00||Manchester, England|
|Win||7–0||Zhang Tiequan||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Franklin vs. Le||November 10, 2012||3||5:00||Macau, SAR, China|
|Win||6–0||Tristan Arenal||KO (punches)||Pacific Xtreme Combat 28||November 26, 2011||1||3:47||Pasig, Philippines|
|Win||5–0||Eduard Folayang||KO (punch)||GW 3||November 21, 2009||1||0:08||Saipan, Guam|
|Win||4–0||Thomas Calvo||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Pacific Xtreme Combat 17||March 27, 2009||1||1:58||Mangilao, Guam|
|Win||3–0||Giovanni Sablan||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Pacific Xtreme Combat 13||November 17, 2007||1||4:41||Mangilao, Guam|
|Win||2–0||John Salas||TKO (doctor stoppage)||GHBW 2||May 28, 2007||1||5:00||Hagåtña, Guam|
|Win||1–0||Joe Neuta||Submission (rear-naked choke)||GHBW 1||Feb 9, 2007||1||2:13||Agana, Guam|
Mixed Martial Arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|1 match||0 wins||1 loss|
|Loss||0–1||Al Iaquinta||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||March 9, 2012||1||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||One-round TUF entry fight.|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Henderson vs. Khabilov". UFC.com. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "Jon Tuck - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "Guam's jiu-jitsu world champion: John Tuck - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand". Kuam.com. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "Official UFC Fighter Profile". ufc.com.
- "Events - PXC 13 - Back from the Dead". Pacificxtremecombat.com. 2007-11-17. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "Jon Tuck KO's Eduard Folayang - Fight Video". mixedmartialarts.com.
- "Jon Tuck KOs Tristan Arenal in sensational PXC 28 showdown | InterAKTV". Interaksyon.com. 2011-11-26. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- Staff (2012-02-27). "'The Ultimate Fighter 15' cast unveiled with 32 lightweight fighters". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- Staff (2012-03-10). "Episode No. 1 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live'". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- zikesugawara (September 6, 2012). "Report: UFC on Fuel TV 6 fight card is all set including John Tuck vs. Zhang Tiequan". mmaorient.net.
- Gene Mrosko (2012-11-10). "UFC on FUEL TV 6 results: Jon Tuck takes decision over Tiequan Zhang". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2012-11-10.
- Staff (2013-02-07). "The Smashes Winner Norman Parke Gets Jon Tuck In San Jose". yourmma.tv. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- Staff (2013-04-14). "Jon Tuck vs. Norman Parke pulled from Saturday's UFC on FOX 7 lineup". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- Staff (2013-09-02). "Norman Parke vs. Jon Tuck joins UFC Fight Night 30 lineup in Manchester". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-02.
- Matt Erickson (2014-05-01). "UFC Fight Night 42 card complete with addition of Yosdenis Cedeno vs. Jon Tuck". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-01.
- Staff (2014-05-07). "Jake Lindsey replaces Yosdenis Cedeno at UFC Fight Night 42 in Albuquerque". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- Ben Fowlkes (2014-06-07). "UFC Fight Night 42 results, photos: Jon Tuck stops Jake Lindsey via heel kick". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2014-07-31). "Lee-Tuck added to UFC 178 card". UFC.com. Retrieved 2014-07-31.
- Staff (2015-02-11). "UFC Fight Night 66 in Philippines adds five fights, including Tae Hyun Bang-Jon Tuck". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-05-16). "UFC Fight Night 66 results: Jon Tuck masterfully taps out Tae Hyun Bang in first". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-05-16.
- Staff (2015-05-16). "UFC Fight Night 66 bonuses: Rare winners from UFC Fight Pass prelims". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-05-16.
- Staff (2016-03-11). "Nick Hein vs. Jon Tuck added to UFC Fight Night 87". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- John Morgan (2016-05-03). "New opponent sought for Guam's Jon Tuck for UFC Fight Night 87". guampdn.com. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- Staff (2016-05-04). "Team Alpha Male's Josh Emmett in for Nick Hein vs. Jon Tuck at UFC Fight Night 87". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-05-08). "UFC Fight Night 87 results: Josh Emmett takes split from Jon Tuck despite broken finger". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- Staff (2016-09-02). "Jon Tuck vs. Mehdi Baghdad added to UFC Fight Night 97 in Philippines". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-09-02.
- Chris (2016-09-15). "Alex Volkanovski set to face Jon Tuck at UFC Fight Night 97". fightnewsaustralia.com. Retrieved 2016-09-15.
- Staff (2016-10-06). "UFC Fight Night Manila: Lamas vs. Penn to be rescheduled". ufc.com. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- Staff (2016-10-06). "After B.J. Penn's withdrawal, UFC cancels next week's UFC Fight Night 97 event in Philippines". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- Sam Mangioni (2016-10-12). "Aussie Damien Brown officially added to UFC Fight Night 101; faces Jon Tuck". fightnewsaustralia.com. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-11-27). "UFC Fight Night 101 results: Damien Brown takes split call from Jon Tuck on decision heavy card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-27.
- Staff (2017-03-28). "UFC Fight Night 111 takes shape in Singapore". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-28.