Jon Whitney (footballer)
|Full name||Jonathan David Whitney|
|Date of birth||23 December 1970|
|Place of birth||Nantwich, England|
|1994||→ Wigan Athletic (loan)||12||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Jonathan David "Jon" Whitney (born 23 December 1970) is an English former professional footballer who played as a defender in the Football League. He was later manager of Walsall from 2016 to 2018.
In December 2003, Whitney was appointed physiotherapist at Walsall having previously worked, after his footballing retirement, as a Sports Therapist in his own clinic whilst also helping his father-in-law dig graves in his role as undertaker and pursuing a bachelor's degree in physiotherapy at the University of Salford, graduating in 2006. On 7 November 2006 Whitney made a brief playing come back, appearing for Walsall in the 2–1 Birmingham Senior Cup victory over Burton Albion.
On 4 January 2011, Walsall announced the departure of Manager, Chris Hutchings and his Assistant, Martin O'Connor. On the same day, Walsall's Head of Youth, Dean Smith, was confirmed as Caretaker Manager and it was announced that Whitney would be assisting Smith in First Team Affairs. On 21 January 2011, Walsall confirmed Smith as Manager, whilst Whitney was appointed as Assistant Manager until the end of the season. He combined the role of Assistant Manager with the role of Club Physiotherapist.
- As of match played 10 March 2018
|Walsall||7 March 2016||12 March 2018||109||38||29||42||34.9|||
- "Jon Whitney All time playing career". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 9 October 2009.
- "Exclusive! New Physio Announced". Walsall F.C. Official Website. 4 December 2003. Retrieved 2010-02-02.
- "Whitney Ready To Go". Walsall F.C. Official Website. 17 December 2003. Retrieved 2010-02-02.
- "Jon Whitney". Walsall F.C. 23 January 2009. Archived from the original on 19 February 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2009.
- Graduation booklet. University of Salford. 2006. p. 23.
- "Whitters Rolls Back The Years". Walsall F.C. Official Website. 8 November 2006. Retrieved 2010-02-02.
-  Archived 7 January 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Tranmere v Walsall preview". Sky Sports. 7 January 2011.
-  Archived 18 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived 19 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Walsall - Football". BBC Sport. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- "Dean Keates: Walsall appoint Wrexham boss as new manager". BBC Sport. 16 March 2018. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- "Managers: Jon Whitney". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
|This biographical article related to association football in England, about a defender born in the 1970s, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|