||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Jonas Berggren in Finland, 2008
|Birth name||Jonas Petter Berggren|
|Also known as||Joker|
21 March 1967 |
|Occupation(s)||Singer, guitarist, keyboardist, songwriter, producer|
|Instruments||Voice, guitar, keyboards|
|Associated acts||Ace of Base, Yaki-Da|
Jonas Petter Berggren (born 21 March 1967), is a Swedish musician, also known as Joker. He started writing songs when he was seven, and continues to write for the Swedish band Ace of Base, as well as other bands. He was born in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Jonas Petter Berggren was the first child of three siblings, his younger sisters is Linn and Jenny. Jonas was born with a cleft lip, undergoing three surgeries within his first year. He became interested in music when he was 10, after his father started teaching him to play the guitar.
As the founding member of Ace of Base, Berggren has written all of their biggest hits, including "All That She Wants", "The Sign", and "Beautiful Life". He also plays the guitar and keyboards. Working under the artist name of "Joker" (or, in some later works, JP), Berggren nowadays also has his own studio, called The Barn. The former female members of Ace of Base, Linn and Jenny Berggren, are his sisters. He also worked with DJ Bobo, Army of Lovers, E-Type and Meja.
Jonas was also the producer and composer for the album Pride by Swedish pop group Yaki-Da in 1995.
Writing for Ace of Base
Berggren has contributed to writing all Ace of Base's material, except the following:
- "Don't Turn Around" (Cover: Diane Warren & Albert Hammond)
- "Edge of Heaven" (Ulf, John Ballard, & StoneStream)
- "Strange Ways" (Malin)
- "Ravine" (Jenny)
- "Perfect World" (Ulf, John Ballard, & StoneStream)
- "Whispers in Blindness" (Malin)
- "Wave Wet Sand" (Jenny)
- "Que Sera" (Ulf, John Ballard, & StoneStream)
- "Just 'N' Image" (Malin)
- "Experience Pearls" (Jenny)
- "Mercy Mercy" (Ulf and John Ballard)
- "He Decides" (Jenny)
- "Everytime It Rains" (B. Steinberg, R. Nowels, M. Vidal)
- "I Pray" (Ulf and John Ballard)
- "Don't Go Away" (Ulf and John Ballard)
- "Cruel Summer" (Cover: S. Dallin, S. Fahey, S. Jolley, A. Swain & K. Woodward)
- "Wonderful Life" (Cover: Black)
- "Juliet" (Cover; Henry Bergström & Peter Bergström)
He is married to Norwegian hairdresser Birthe Haugland (date of marriage 12 July 2000) whom he met during a cruise in Norway in the summer of 1996. Together they have four children: Julia, born in 1999, Gabriel, born in 2001, Molly, born in 2006, and Amanda, born in 2008.