Jonas Gonçalves Oliveira
Jonas with Benfica in 2016
|Full name||Jonas Gonçalves Oliveira|
|Date of birth||1 April 1984|
|Place of birth||Bebedouro, São Paulo, Brazil|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|2008||→ Portuguesa (loan)||25||(10)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14 May 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 10 June 2016
Jonas Gonçalves Oliveira (born 1 April 1984), known simply as Jonas (Brazilian Portuguese: [ˈʒõːnais]), is a Brazilian professional footballer who plays for Portuguese club Benfica as a striker. A Brazilian international, he can also play as an attacking midfielder.
Jonas started his football career in Brazil with Guarani, later joining Santos, Grêmio (Bola de Prata in 2010) and Portuguesa, before moving to Valencia in Spain, in 2011. Three years later, he joined Benfica in Portugal, where he collected several individual honours, most notably the Primeira Liga Player of the Year award in 2015 and 2016, and the Bola de Prata in 2016. Furthermore, collectively he has won three Primeira Liga titles, one Taça de Portugal, two Taça da Liga and one Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira.
In 2006, Jonas transferred to Santos, where he won the 2006 Campeonato Paulista scoring five goals in six matches. However, he had a serious knee injury that kept him out of action for six months. In 2007, he returned to the pitch and scored four goals in the Paulista, helping Santos win the tournament for the second time in a row. After spending only one year at Santos, Jonas transferred to Grêmio in 2007.
After the arrival of more forwards in 2008, Jonas lost his place, sometimes even failing to make the reserves list. The most consistent criticism from the press was his lack of physical strength when playing up front against powerful defenders. By July, he decided to leave the club.
Despite not being able to avoid relegation to the Série B in 2008, Jonas was one of the best players in the team, scoring 18 goals during his stay, nine in the Campeonato Brasileiro, ahead of teammate Edno's eight.
Return to Grêmio
After the end of the loan, Jonas returned to Grêmio for the 2009 season. He played in the 2009 Copa Libertadores, and after playing his worst game in the tournament (incredibly missing three chances to score in the same attack) against Boyacá Chicó he was dubbed "the worst forward of the world" ("el peor delantero del mundo") by Spanish magazine Mundo Deportivo.
Jonas, however, scored 14 goals in the 2009 Campeonato Brasileiro Série A and was amongst the top goal scorers. He enjoyed further success throughout the 2010 season: he was top-scorer for Grêmio in the 2010 Campeonato Gaúcho and finished the top goal scorer in the Série A with 23 goals.
Due to a low release fee (€1.25 million), Jonas rescinded his contract with Grêmio, where he was finally transferred to Spanish club Valencia on 24 January 2011. His first goal for Los Che came on 27 February, scoring a late winner in a 2–1 away victory for Valencia against Athletic Bilbao. He scored his second goal in a match against Real Madrid on 24 April, which ended 3–6.
On 1 November 2011, Jonas scored the second fastest goal in UEFA Champions League history by netting inside 10.5 seconds to give Valencia a 1–0 lead over Bayer Leverkusen. He fell just short of former Bayern Munich and Dutch national team striker Roy Makaay's record of 10.13 seconds that he set against Real Madrid in the 2006–07 edition of the tournament. Valencia won the match 3–1.
On 12 September 2014, Jonas signed for Portuguese Primeira Liga champions Benfica on a two-year deal. On 5 October, he debuted for the club in a 4–0 win against Arouca, scoring his side's fourth goal. On 18 October, he scored a hat-trick as Benfica defeated Covilhã 2–3 in the third round of Taça de Portugal. On 22 November, he scored twice against Moreirense (4–1) in the Portuguese Cup. On 30 December, he scored the only goal in a home win against Nacional in the third round of the Taça da Liga, thus scoring in every competition.
On 21 January 2015, Jonas scored at Moreirense in the league cup and became the Brazilian with the best average number of goals in Europe (0.81), surpassing Neymar (0.74) and Luiz Adriano (0.70), with 13 goals in 16 matches. On 28 February, Jonas scored twice in the thrashing of Estoril (6–0) in the league. On 14 March, Jonas scored his 20th goal for Benfica (in 25 matches) and set his season goal record in Europe, as Benfica beat Braga (2–0) in the Primeira Liga. On 4 April, he scored twice against Nacional in the league. On 11 April, he scored twice against Académica de Coimbra (5–1) in the league. On 18 April, he scored twice for a third consecutive league match, in a win at Belenenses (0–2), and became the second best top scorer in Primeira Liga with 16 goals in 22 matches.
On 23 May 2015, after winning the league title, Jonas netted a brace in a home win against Marítimo (4–1) in his last league match of the season in which he could have become the league's top scorer with 21 goals, but one of his three goals was wrongly invalidated for offside. On 29 May, he scored the first goal in a 2–1 win against Marítimo in the Taça da Liga final, being elected as man of the match. In this season, he was the top scorer in the league cup with five goals, and in the Taça de Portugal with six goals. On 4 July, he won the league's Player of the Year award.
In the 2015–16 season, Jonas scored a hat-trick in a 4–1 win at Nacional, increasing his tally to 18 goals in 17 league matches. On 5 February 2016, he netted a brace in a league victory at Belenenses (0–5). On 16 February, he scored a last-minute goal with a header in the 91st minute to give Benfica a home win against Zenit Saint Petersburg (1–0) in the first leg of UEFA Champions League's round of 16. On 29 February, Jonas netted a brace against União da Madeira (2–0) in the Primeira Liga and equalised Óscar Cardozo's scoring record at Benfica in the 2009–10 season. On 14 March, Jonas scored twice against Tondela in a 4–1 home league win and became Benfica's top scorer in the 21st century, with 30 goals. Six days later, he scored the winning goal at Boavista (0–1) in the 93rd minute. On 15 May, he scored his 32nd league goal, in a home win against Nacional (4–1) on the final day, and received the Bola de Prata award during the league title celebration. Throughout the season, he was a candidate to win the European Golden Shoe, and even lead the race, but ultimately he finished fourth. On 15 July, Jonas was awarded the Top Goalscorer and the Best Player awards in Primeira Liga for the 2015–16 season.
Jonas was called up for the Brazil national team for the first time and made his debut in a friendly against Scotland at the Emirates Stadium on 27 March 2011. He came on as a substitute for Leandro Damião in the 78th minute, and Brazil went on to win the match 2–0.
On 30 March 2016, Jonas earned his ninth cap for Brazil – the first since 11 September 2012. He replaced Ricardo Oliveira in the 80th minute of the match against Paraguay that ended with a 2–2 draw, in the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification.
Jonas was born in the city of Bebedouro and was raised in Taiúva, a neighbour municipality in the state of São Paulo. He was born to teachers Ismael (father) and Maria Luiza (mother). Tiago and Diego are his two older brothers.
In August 2015, Jonas gained Italian citizenship.
- As of match played 9 June 2016
- Scores and results list Brazil's goal tally first.
|1.||14 November 2011||Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan, Qatar||Egypt||1–0||2–0||Friendly|
|3.||29 May 2016||Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, United States||Panama||1–0||2–0||Friendly|
- Primeira Liga: 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17
- Taça de Portugal: 2016–17
- Taça da Liga: 2014–15, 2015–16
- Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2016
- Bola de Prata (Brazil): 2010
- Arthur Friedenreich Award: 2010
- Cosme Damião Award - Footballer of the Year: 2015
- SJPF Player of the Month: February 2015, April 2015, January 2016, February 2016 March 2016
- 2015 Taça da Liga Final: Man of the Match
- UEFA's Player of the Year in Portugal: 2014–15
- Primeira Liga Player of the Year: 2014–15,  2015–16
- CNID Awards - Footballer of the Year: 2016
- Primeira Liga Top scorer: 2015–16
- "Elenco Paulistão 2006". acervosantista.com.br. 1 January 2006. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Jonas sofreu lesão nos ligamentos do joelho esquerdo" [Jonas suffers injury in left knee ligaments] (in Portuguese). Santos FC Official Website. 5 February 2006. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Santos vence São Caetano e conquista o bi do Campeonato Paulista". Folha de S.Paulo. 6 May 2007. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Grêmio contrata atacante Jonas, ex-Santos" [Grêmio signs Jonas, former Santos' player] (in Portuguese). Globoesporte.com. 11 September 2007. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "O Grêmio bateu o Internacional (1 a 0), no Olímpico, na Fase única do Campeonato Brasileiro 2007. O gol da vitória foi de Léo.". Globo.com (in Portuguese). 16 September 2007. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Lusa contrata o atacante Jonas". globoesporte.com (in Portuguese). 7 July 2008. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Chegou discreto, saiu com 78 gols: a trajetória de Jonas no Grêmio". ZH Grémio. 24 January 2011. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "O ex pior do mundo" (in Portuguese). A Notícia. 19 October 2010. Archived from the original on 19 October 2010. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "El delantero del Gremio Jonas vive su peor noche en la Libertadores" (in Spanish). Mundo Deportivo. 25 January 2011. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "La cláusula del millón de euros lleva al 'Detonador' a Mestalla" (in Spanish). Las Provincias. 25 January 2011. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- Jonas, 40 gols no ano, já bateu duas metas na temporada | globoesporte.com. Globoesporte.globo.com (11 October 2010). Retrieved on 31 December 2012.
- "Valencia paga multa rescisória e tira atacante Jonas do Grêmio". Globoesporte.com. 24 January 2011. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Dirigente do Valencia: Jonas será um novo Nilmar" (in Portuguese). Click RBS. 24 January 2011. Retrieved 25 January 2011.
- "Jonas marca o gol da vitória do Valencia sobre o Bilbao". QI Esportivo. 28 February 2011. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "El Real Madrid vuelve a gozar en Mestalla, al contragolpe". RTVE. 23 April 2011. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Jonas' 10.5 second strike for Valencia vs. Leverkusen is No.2 on the list of fastest-ever Champions League goals". Goal.com. 1 November 2011. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Jonas sets Valencia on way to Leverkusen win". UEFA.com. 1 November 2011. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Jonas doubles up to give Valencia hope and finish off wasteful Lille". The Guardian. 2 October 2012. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Jonas delivers as Valencia see off LOSC". UEFA.com. 2 October 2012. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Pellegrino pleased with improving Valencia". UEFA.com. 2 October 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Jonas treble sinks Osasuna". ESPNFC. 1 December 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Comunicado Oficial - Jonas Gonçalves" [Official announcement - Jonas Gonçalves] (in Spanish). Valencia's official website. 1 September 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Jonas assina por duas épocas" [Jonas signs for two seasons] (in Portuguese). Record. 12 September 2012. Retrieved 12 September 2012.
- "Futebol Profissional: Jonas reforça Sport Lisboa e Benfica" [Professional football: Jonas joins Sport Lisboa e Benfica] (in Portuguese). S.L. Benfica. 12 September 2014. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "SL Benfica – Arouca, 4-0: Resposta de Campeão consolida liderança!" (in Portuguese). Benfica. 5 October 2014. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Taça de Portugal: Benfica sofre mas segue em frente". Federação Portuguesa de Futebol.
- "Benfica 4-1 Moreirense :: Taça de Portugal 2014/2015 :: Ficha do Jogo :: zerozero.pt". www.zerozero.pt.
- "Jonas: "Continuar assim para estar na meia-final"". Sport Lisboa e Benfica - Site Oficial.
- "Jonas faz pleno e iguala Talisca" [Jonas]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 31 December 2014. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Jonas supera números de Neymar e Luiz Adriano na Europa" [Jonas surpasses numbers of Neymar and Luiz Adriano in Europe]. SAPO Desporto (in Portuguese). 23 January 2015. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Benfica - Estoril (Jornada 23 Liga NOS 2014-2015) - Liga Portugal" (in Portuguese). LPFP. 28 February 2015. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "O melhor Jonas na Europa" [The best Jonas in Europe] (in Portuguese). Record. 14 March 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Benfica - Nacional (Jornada 27 Liga NOS 2014-2015) - Liga Portugal" (in Portuguese). LPFP. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- "Benfica - Académica (Jornada 28 Liga NOS 2014-2015) - Liga Portugal" (in Portuguese). LPFP. 11 April 2015. Retrieved 17 April 2015.
- "Belenenses - Benfica (Jornada 29 Liga NOS 2014-2015) - Liga Portugal" (in Portuguese). LPFP. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "A festa do campeão, goleador Ronaldo e Europeu Belenenses" [The champions' party, Ronaldo scorer and European Belenenses] (in Portuguese). SAPO Desporto. 24 May 2015. Retrieved 25 May 2015.
Erro do auxiliar tira Bola de Prata a Jonas. Jonas marcou 3 mas o árbitro assistente anulou-lhe um limpinho.
- "António Simões sugere punição para auxiliar que anulou golo a Jonas" [António Simões suggests punishment to the referee who wrongly invalidated a goal by Jonas] (in Portuguese). SAPO Desporto. 25 May 2015. Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- "Em dia de festa encarnada só faltou a cereja de Jonas" [Benfica's party only lacked Jonas' cherry] (in Portuguese). SAPO Desporto. 24 May 2015. Retrieved 25 May 2015.
Golo mal anulado
- "Jonas eleito o Man of the Match" [Jonas elected Man of the Match] (in Portuguese). LPFP. 29 May 2015. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Taça da Liga 2014/2015". zerozero (in Portuguese). Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Taça de Portugal 2014_2015 :: Estatísticas". zerozero.pt (in Portuguese). Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Prémios Oficiais Liga Portugal 2015" [Official Awards Liga Portugal 2015] (in Portuguese). LPFP. 4 July 2015. Archived from the original on 4 July 2015. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- Homewood, Brian (11 January 2016). "Benfica complete fog-delayed match as Jonas hits hat-trick against Nacional". Daily Mail Online. Reuters. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- Simões, Rui Marques (5 February 2016). "Águias goleiam Belenenses e chegam à liderança provisória" [Eagles trash Belenenses and reach temporary lead]. Diário de Notícias (in Portuguese). Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "Jonas iguala Higuaín na luta pela Bota de Ouro" [Jonas equals Higuaín in the fight for the Golden Boot] (in Portuguese). A Bola. 6 February 2016. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "Jonas strikes late to earn Benfica narrow win". UEFA.com. 16 February 2016. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Benfica: Jonas foge a Higuaín e Luis Suárez na corrida à Bota de Ouro" [Benfica: Jonas distances himself from Higuaín and Luis Suárez in the race for the Golden Shoe]. Maisfutebol (in Portuguese). 29 February 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- Monteiro, Duarte (29 February 2016). "Jonas no topo da Europa e igual ao melhor Cardozo" [Jonas at the top of Europe and equal to best Cardozo]. zerozero (in Portuguese). Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Jonas é o melhor marcador do Benfica no século XXI" [Jonas is the top scorer]. SAPO Desporto (in Portuguese). 15 March 2016. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Jonas dá vitória ao Benfica nos descontos" [Jonas gives Benfica a win in stoppage time]. UEFA (in Portuguese). 20 March 2016. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "A Bola entregou 'A Bola de Prata' a Jonas" [A Bola delivered the Bola de Prata to Jonas]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 15 May 2016. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- Piedade, Luís (15 May 2016). "Benfica secure 35th Portuguese crown". UEFA. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Suarez scores 40 goals..wins his second Golden Shoe.". Weekly Voice. 17 May 2016. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Jonas vence prémios de melhor marcador e melhor jogador da Liga" [Jonas wins awards for top goalscorer and best player in the league]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 15 July 2016. Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- "Valencia's Jonas Goncalves delighted with 'unforgettable' Brazil debut". Goal.com. 29 March 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Scotland v Brazil - as it happened!". The Guardian. 27 March 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Jonas brace eases Brazil past Egypt". FIFA.com. 14 November 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "VÍDEO: Jonas entrou e Brasil evitou derrota no Paraguai" [VIDEO: Jonas played and Brazil avoided defeat in Paraguay]. Maisfutebol (in Portuguese). 30 March 2016. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- "Benfica's Jonas overjoyed by late Brazil call up". Goal.com. 21 May 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Soares, Ricardo (2015). "Era uma vez... 11 histórias de Jonas" [Once upon a time... 11 stories of Jonas]. Mística (in Portuguese). No. 28 (July–September 2015). Portugal: Impresa Publishing. p. 35. ISSN 3846-0823.
- "Jonas já tem dupla nacionalidade" [Jonas already has dual citizenship]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 21 August 2015. Archived from the original on 21 August 2015. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- Jonas Gonçalves Oliveira at Soccerway
- Jonas Gonçalves Oliveira at ForaDeJogo. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- "Jonas". National Football Teams. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- Cunha, Pedro Jorge (17 May 2015). "Benfica bicampeão: 28 com as faixas e dois à espera" [Benfica back-to-back champion: 28 with the sashes and two await] (in Portuguese). Maisfutebol. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- "Em grande fase, Jonas recebe prêmio de melhor jogador do ano no Benfica" [In a great phase, Jonas receives award for best player of the year at Benfica]. ESPN.com.br (in Portuguese). 28 February 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Jonas eleito melhor jogador de fevereiro da Liga NOS" [Jonas elected best player of February in Liga NOS] (in Portuguese). LPFP. 11 March 2015. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "Jonas eleito melhor jogador de abril da Liga NOS - Liga Portugal" [Jonas elected best player of April in Liga NOS] (in Portuguese). LPFP. 15 May 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- "Jonas eleito jogador do mês de janeiro" [Jonas elected [best] player of January]. Maisfutebol (in Portuguese). 16 February 2016. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Jonas, Platiny e Diogo Jota vencedores de fevereiro" [Jonas, Platiny and Diogo Jota winners of February]. Liga Portugal (in Portuguese). 16 March 2016. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "Jonas, Pedrinho e Herrera vencedores de março" [Jonas, Pedrinho and Herrera winners of March]. Liga Portugal (in Portuguese). 13 April 2016. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- Pimentel, José Nuno (3 June 2015). "Época em revista: Portugal - UEFA" [Season in review: Portugal] (in Portuguese). UEFA. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
Jogador do ano: Jonas (SL Benfica)
- "Jonas named UEFA.com's player of the year". S.L. Benfica. 3 June 2015. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Jonas eleito futebolista do ano e Renato Sanches a revelação nos prémios CNID" [Jonas elected as footballer of the year and Renato Sanches elected as revelation in the CNID awards]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 2 May 2016. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jonas Gonçalves Oliveira.|