Jonathan Adams (British actor)
14 February 1931
|Died||13 June 2005 (aged 74)|
|Occupation||Actor & artist|
(m. 1969; div. 1976)
Jonathan Adams (14 February 1931 – 13 June 2005) was an English actor specifically of television and film, but he also appeared in theatre roles. He was also an artist who continued exhibiting works throughout his life.
Born John Adams in Northampton, he trained as an artist at Northampton Art College and Chelsea College of Art. He became an acor in 1959 (changing his name to Jonathan Adams), but continued his work as an artist. His final exhibition, "Jonathan Adams in Wonderland", opened at the Riverside Studios in London, the April before his death. He was especially known for his surrealist cartoons and collages.
As an actor, he is best known for his role as the Narrator in the original 1973 London production of The Rocky Horror Show, and is featured on the original cast soundtrack; but is also famous for portraying the part of Dr. Everett Von Scott in the 1975 film version of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
He played a number of roles in British theatre, TV and film, including work with The Actor's Company and at the Old Vic. On television, he played the part of Adam the shepherd in the TV mini-series Jesus of Nazareth (1977), the part of the Reverend Quiverful in the BBC serial 'The Barchester Chronicles' (1982), in the TV serial 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' he played Jonas Oldacre in 'The Norwood Builder' (1985), the part of Carter in the Miss Marple episode Nemesis (1987), and the part of Professor Marriott in Yes, Prime Minister. His film career included appearances in British comedies such as Eskimo Nell (1975), Three for All (1975), It Could Happen to You (1975), Adventures of a Private Eye (1977) and Adventures of a Plumber's Mate (1978).
- The Assassination Bureau (1969) - French President (uncredited)
- Eskimo Nell (1975) - Lord Coltwind
- Three for All (1975) - Dr. Sparks
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) - Dr. Everett V. Scott - A Rival Scientist
- It Could Happen to You (1975) - Henry VIII
- Adventures of a Private Eye (1977) - Inspector Hogg
- Jesus of Nazareth (1977) - Adam
- Adventures of a Plumber's Mate (1978) - Rent Collector
- Revolution (1985) - Chaplain
- Two Evil Eyes (1990) - Hammer (segment "The Facts in the Case of Mr. Valdemar")
- "Jonathan Adams". BFI.
- "Jonathan Adams | Theatricalia". theatricalia.com.
- "Jonathan Adams". The Independent. June 22, 2005.
- "biography". www.jonathanadamsartwork.com.
- "Jonathan Adams". www.jonathanadamsartwork.com.
- Stage, The (July 4, 2005). "Jonathan Adams | Obituaries".
- "Jonathan Adams". www.aveleyman.com.
- "Jonathan Adams | TV, Documentary and Other Appearances". AllMovie.
- "Jonathan Adams | Art UK". artuk.org.