Jonathan González (footballer, born 1999)
|Full name||Jonathan Alexander González Mendoza|
|Date of birth||April 13, 1999|
|Place of birth||Santa Rosa, California, United States|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|2008–2014||Atletico Santa Rosa|
|2014||United States U17||3||(0)|
|2015–2017||United States U18||16||(1)|
|2017||United States U20||2||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:15, October 22, 2018 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of October 22, 2018
On 21 July 2017, González made his senior professional debut for Monterrey in their opening match of the 2017–18 season against Monarcas Morelia. Concluding at the first half of the season, he would go on to be included in the Ideal Eleven of Apertura 2017. At the end of the of the 2017–18 season, he was given the Rookie of the Year Award from Mexico's Balón de Oro.
Born in the United States to Mexican parents, González holds U.S. and Mexican citizenship, making him eligible to represent both the United States and the Mexico national teams. González has represented the United States at several international youth levels ranging from the under-14 to the under-20 side, including the under-17 side. In January 2018, however, he reportedly communicated his desire to represent Mexico at senior level. On January 24, 2018, González received his one-time switch from FIFA, clearing him to play for Mexico.
On May 22, 2018, he was called up for the Mexico U-21 side that would participate at the 2018 Toulon Tournament in France. He would go on to start in all group stage matches and the semi-final but did not appear in the final where Mexico lost 2–1 against England due to an injury.
Style of play
Thomas Harrison of Outsideoftheboot.com described González as "A technically proficient midfielder, who’s displayed a decent eye for a pass, Jonathan usually plays in a “number six” role as a deep-lying playmaker in a three-man midfield. However, he can use his talents in a more advanced midfield role, or as part of a double-pivot in a two-man midfield. "
Tom Marshall of ESPN wrote about González, "There's no petulance or talking back to the officials, but there is an aggressive (in a good way) and incessant motor looking to break up the opposition's play and distribute correctly when on the ball."
- As of 20 October 2018
- "MEXIQUE". Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- "Mexico targeting U.S. youth international Jonathan Gonzalez".
- "Jonathan Alexander González Mendoza". Ligamx.net. Liga MX. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- Eskilson, J.R. (February 15, 2014). "U.S. YNT mid signs with Monterrey". Top Drawer Soccer. Retrieved July 21, 2017.
- "Morella vs. Monterrey". Soccerway.
- "Los extranjeros dominan el 11 ideal del Apertura 2017 de la Liga MX". Marca. 18 December 2017. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- Marshall, Tom (15 July 2018). "Former U.S. youth international Jonathan Gonzalez named Liga MX rookie of the year". ESPN. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- "Jonathan Gonzalez to play for Mexico instead of US". www.sportsnet.ca. 9 January 2018. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Steven Goff (8 January 2018). "U.S. soccer loses rising star Jonathan Gonzalez to Mexico". The Washington Post. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Tom Marshall (January 8, 2018). "Jonathan Gonzalez chooses Mexico over United States - sources". ESPN FC. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Marshall, Tom (January 24, 2018). "Jonathan Gonzalez receives FIFA clearance to play for Mexico". ESPN FC. Retrieved January 26, 2018.
- Yoesting, Travis (1 February 2018). "Jonathan Gonzalez Makes Solid Debut For Mexico — In The U.S." The18.com. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- "Mexico sends strong squad to Toulon Tournament". FMF State of Mind. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "Mexico loses Toulon Tournament Final against England". FMF State of Mind. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- Marshall, Tom (28 May 2018). "Mexico never promised Jonathan Gonzalez spot in World Cup squad - Te Kloese". ESPN. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- Harrison, Thomas (August 16, 2018). "Talent Radar: Liga MX's 10 Young Players to Watch in 2018-19". Outsideoftheboot.com. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- Marshall, Tom (6 September 2018). "Jonathan Gonzalez can't wait to suit up for Mexico vs. U.S. for first time". ESPN. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- Jonathan González at Soccerway
- "Los extranjeros dominan el 11 ideal del Apertura 2017 de la Liga MX" (in Spanish). www.Marca.com. 18 December 2017. Retrieved 11 January 2018.