Jonathan Baker (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Fulham (AEO)|
|Diocese||Diocese of London|
|Other posts||Honorary assistant bishop, Southwark (2013–present)
Honorary assistant bishop, Rochester (2013–2015)
Bishop of Ebbsfleet (PEV; 2011–2013)
Principal of Pusey House (2003–2013)
|Consecration||16 June 2011
by Rowan Williams
|Born||6 October 1966|
|Children||2 sons, 1 daughter|
|Alma mater||St John's College, Oxford|
Jonathan Mark Richard Baker (born 6 October 1966) is a bishop of the Church of England. He is currently the suffragan Bishop of Fulham (providing alternative episcopal oversight in Greater London) and was formerly the Bishop of Ebbsfleet (a provincial episcopal visitor).
Early life and education
Baker was born on 6 October 1966, and is the son of Sir John William Baker. He was educated at Merchant Taylors' School, Northwood, an all-boys public school in Hertfordshire. He studied at St John's College, Oxford. He trained for ordination at St Stephen's House, Oxford.
Baker was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1993 and as a priest in 1994. He was an assistant curate at All Saints' Ascot Heath from 1993 to 1996. He was then priest in charge of St Mark's Reading and Vicar of Holy Trinity, Reading. In 2003, he became Principal of Pusey House.
Following his appointment as the suffragan Bishop of Ebbsfleet, the provincial episcopal visitor for the western half of the Province of Canterbury, Baker was consecrated as a bishop at Southwark Cathedral on 16 June 2011. His appointment as an assistant bishop in the Diocese of Bath and Wells (an honorary role which facilitates his oversight of parishes in that diocese) was announced in September 2011. He was legally translated to the See of Fulham on 13 February 2013, began his episcopal ministry on 15 April and was installed at St Paul's Cathedral on 23 April (St George's Day).
Forward in Faith
From 2010 to 2014, Baker was the chairman of Forward in Faith, an Anglican movement that opposes the ordination of women and the liberalising of church attitudes to homosexuality. In 2014, he announced that he would not stand for re-election as chairman of Forward in Faith UK.
Baker was previously a Freemason. While a student at Oxford University, he joined the Apollo University Lodge, a masonic lodge associated with the university. He held the senior position of Assistant Grand Chaplain. After twenty years membership, he left the organisation upon being appointed a bishop.
In a letter dated 22 October 2014, Baker wrote to his clergy informing them that he had been given permission by Richard Chartres, Bishop of London, and Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury, to remarry following divorce. Until 2010, Church of England clergy who had been divorced and remarried could not become bishops. The American religion commentator George Conger wrote, "They [traditionalist clergy] are at a loss to understand how the bishop dedicated to providing pastoral support for traditionalists can himself adopt a stance at odds with the position of most traditionalists — and at odds with the public position taken by Forward in Faith on divorce and remarriage."
- 1966 — 1993: Mr Jonathan Baker
- 1993 — 2011: The Reverend Jonathan Baker
- 2011 — present: The Right Reverend Jonathan Baker
- Richborough Episcopal Area – New Bishop Consecrated Archived 2012-03-01 at the Wayback Machine.
- The Anglo Catholic
- St Cross College Archived 2011-06-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- Who's Who 2012 – Ebbsfleet, Bishop Suffragan of
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black, 2008, ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Crockfords (London, Church House, 1995) ISBN 0-7151-8088-6
- "Jonathan Mark Richard Baker". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 22 March 2017. (subscription required)
- All Saints' Church website
- Bench Marks website
- Church blog
- Pusey House website Archived 2011-05-14 at the Wayback Machine.
- Church Times, 23 September 2011 – Appointments, p. 26.
- "Executive Committee". About Us. Forward in Faith. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- Anglican Mainstream website.
- "The Council of Bishops". The Society. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- Wynne-Jones, Jonathan (14 May 2011). "Archbishop allows freemason to be bishop". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- Anglican Ink website.
- Gledhill, Ruth (28 October 2014). "Leading CofE bishop Jonathan Baker to remarry after divorce". Christian Today. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Ebbsfleet
|Bishop of Fulham