August 13, 1985 |
Portland, Oregon, United States
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||126 lb (57 kg; 9.0 st)|
|Reach||74.0 in (188 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Years active||2006–2012 2014–present|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Jonathan Quinn Brookins (born August 13, 1985) is an American mixed martial artist who competed as a featherweight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional MMA competitor since 2006, Brookins has mostly fought in Florida, as well as competing in The Ultimate Fighter: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck. On December 4, 2010, Brookins defeated Michael Johnson to become the Ultimate Fighter and earn a contract with the UFC. During his time at Lindenwood University he was also the college roommate of former fellow UFC fighter Mike Rio.
Mixed martial arts career
Brookins was introduced to mixed martial arts by Charles Bennett. After meeting him and training with him, Brookins made his professional MMA debut against Allen Berube, a TUF 5 veteran. Having only trained in wrestling, Brookins surprised himself by winning via KO in under twenty seconds.
Brookins has mostly fought at featherweight, most notably in World Extreme Cagefighting where he lost to José Aldo via TKO in the third round. Brookins would later rebound at Bellator 1 where he defeated Stephen Ledbetter via submission (rear naked choke).
Brookins then won two fights in G-Force fights, the most notable being a submission victory over Luis Palomino.
The Ultimate Fighter
In the debut episode, Brookins faced fellow wrestler Ran Weathers. Brookins would go on to take a unanimous decision victory in two rounds. Following this, Brookins was selected by Team GSP. Brookins was GSPs second pick and the fourth overall.
Brookins was picked by GSP to face Sevak Magakian in the preliminary house fights. Brookins faked a takedown, which fooled Magakian. Brookins was then able to take down Magakian before attempting a standing rear naked choke. Brookins eventually secured the submission at 2:04 of the opening round.
In the quarter-finals, Brookins faced Judo specialist Sako Chivitchian. Brookins was able to throw Chivitchian to the mat, which forced Chivitchian to try to stand up. Brookins then got hooks in and worked for a rear naked choke, eventually sealing it soon after, to advance to the semi-finals.
In the semi-final round, Brookins faced team-mate Kyle Watson. In a somewhat lopsided bout, Brookins controlled Watson on the ground to take a 30–27 judges decision. The win moved Brookins into the finals against Michael Johnson.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Brookins defeated Michael Johnson at The Ultimate Fighter: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck Finale. In the first round, Brookins was dominated on the feet by Johnson. However, he pulled through and used his wrestling to edge rounds 2 and 3, taking the unanimous decision to become The Ultimate Fighter.
Brookins was expected to face Rani Yahya on February 15, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV 1. However, Yahya was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Vagner Rocha. Brookins won via KO in the first round.
Brookins next faced Dustin Poirier on December 15, 2012 at The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson Finale. He lost the back-and-forth fight via submission in the first round.
Legacy Fighting Championship
On January 24, 2014 it was announced that Brookins would return from his retirement to fight for Legacy Fighting Championship. He dropped down to the Flyweight division to make his debut on March 21 at Legacy FC 29 against Cody Fuller. Brookins was victorious in his flyweight debut with a second round submission finish. He then faced Austin Lyons in a bantamweight bout at Legacy FC 34 on August 29, 2014. Brookins lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|26 matches||16 wins||10 losses|
|Win||16–10||Decky Dalton||Decision (unanimous)||BAMMA 28||February 24, 2017||3||5:00||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|Loss||15–10||Kyle Nelson||Decision (split)||Z Promotions: Fight Night Medicine Hat 2||October 28, 2016||3||5:00||Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada|
|Loss||15–9||Tom Niinimäki||Decision (unanimous)||Euro FC 1||October 1, 2016||3||5:00||Espoo, Finland|
|Loss||15–8||Shintaro Ishiwatari||Decision (unanimous)||Pancrase 279||July 24, 2016||3||5:00||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||15–7||Shintaro Ishiwatari||Decision (unanimous)||Pancrase 262||November 1, 2014||3||5:00||Tokyo, Japan||Non Title Fight|
|Loss||14–7||Austin Lyons||Decision (unanimous)||Legacy FC 34||August 29, 2014||3||5:00||Tunica, Mississippi, United States||Bantamweight bout.|
|Win||14–6||Cody Fuller||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Legacy FC 29||March 21, 2014||2||3:02||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States||Flyweight Debut. 128 lb catchweight; Brookins missed weight.|
|Loss||13–6||Dustin Poirier||Submission (D'arce choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale||December 15, 2012||1||4:15||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||13–5||Charles Oliveira||Submission (anaconda choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale||June 1, 2012||2||2:42||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13–4||Vagner Rocha||KO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger||February 15, 2012||1||1:32||Omaha, Nebraska, United States|
|Loss||12–4||Erik Koch||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Shields vs. Ellenberger||September 17, 2011||3||5:00||New Orleans, Louisiana, United States||Return to Featherweight|
|Win||12–3||Michael Johnson||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale||December 4, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won The Ultimate Fighter Season 12|
|Win||11–3||Yosdenis Cedeno||Decision (unanimous)||G-Force Fights: Bad Blood 3||February 4, 2010||3||5:00||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Win||10–3||Luis Palomino||Submission (rear-naked choke)||G-Force Fights: Bad Blood 2||September 26, 2009||2||1:44||Coral Gables, Florida, United States|
|Win||9–3||Stephen Ledbetter||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bellator 1||April 3, 2009||1||3:32||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Loss||8–3||José Aldo||TKO (punches)||WEC 36: Faber vs. Brown||November 5, 2008||3||0:45||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Win||8–2||Jose Santibanez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||South Coast Promotions||July 18, 2008||1||2:07||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Loss||7–2||Greg Loughran||Decision (split)||Cage Warriors: USA Battle Royale||March 29, 2008||3||5:00||Kissimmee, Florida, United States|
|Win||7–1||Jose Figueroa||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEF: King of the Streets||December 1, 2007||1||2:47||Kissimmee, Florida, United States|
|Win||6–1||Donald Brook||Submission (punches)||Harmful Intent Promotions 2||November 3, 2007||1||0:35||Estero, Florida, United States|
|Win||5–1||Yves Jabouin||Submission (elbows)||Ultimate Warrior Challenge 2||June 30, 2007||2||3:35||Jacksonville, Florida, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Harris Sarmiento||Decision (unanimous)||Shakedown: Maui vs. Oahu||May 19, 2007||3||5:00||Hawaii, United States|
|Win||4–0||Sean Bartlett||TKO (punches)||Combat Fighting Championships 3||February 17, 2007||1||4:05||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Win||3–0||Ryan Nakamura||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Combat Fighting Championship 2||September 23, 2006||1||1:09||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Win||2–0||York Ash||Submission (guillotine choke)||Full Throttle 8||August 11, 2006||1||3:58||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||1–0||Allen Berube||KO (punch)||Combat Fighting Championship||July 15, 2006||1||0:19||Orlando, Florida, United States|
- http://boxing.nv.gov/2010%20Results%20Web/TUF%2012%2006-05-10.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Former TUF Winner Jonathan Brookins Excited To Be Facing Charles Oliveira At TUF Live Finale". mmaconvert.com. April 12, 2012.
- "Fight path: After rocky childhood Jonathan Brookins found unlikely inspiration in Krazy Horse". mmajunkie.com. June 3, 2010. Archived from the original on July 22, 2010.
- "Meet the cast for The Ultimate Fighter 12, field includes 28 lightweights". mmajunkie.com. August 3, 2010. Archived from the original on August 6, 2010.
- "Episode no.1 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. September 16, 2010. Archived from the original on September 18, 2010.
- "Episode No. 2 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. September 22, 2010. Archived from the original on September 25, 2010.
- "Episode No. 6 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. October 21, 2010. Archived from the original on October 23, 2010.
- "Episode No. 9 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. November 10, 2010. Archived from the original on November 14, 2010.
- "Episode No. 11 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. December 1, 2010. Archived from the original on December 5, 2010.
- "UFC 129: Brookins-Makdessi, MacDonald-Wilks Set for April 30 in Toronto". mmafrenzy.com. January 4, 2011.
- "John Makdessi meets Kyle Watson, not Jonathan Brookins, at UFC 129". mmajunkie.com. January 11, 2011.
- "Jeremy Stephens vs. Jonathan Brookins likely for The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2011-02-18. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- "Downes replaces injured Brookins at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale". mmajunkie.com. May 10, 2011. Archived from the original on May 13, 2011.
- "Jonathan Brookins vs. Erik Koch slated for UFC Fight Night 25 "Bayou" event". mmajunkie.com. 2011-06-11. Archived from the original on 2012-07-11.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 1 adds Yahya vs. Brookins". mmajunkie.com. December 14, 2011. Archived from the original on January 8, 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2011.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 1 adds Brookins vs. Rocha". mmajunkie.com. January 5, 2012. Archived from the original on September 13, 2012.
- "Jonathan Brookins vs Charles Oliveira booked for June 1 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. April 7, 2012.
- "Dustin Poirier set to face Jonathan Brookins at TUF 16 Finale". mmafighting.com. October 21, 2012.
- "Broke Jonathan Brookins lost belief in fighting and himself; headed for spiritual journey to India". mmamania.com. December 20, 2012.
- "Legacy FC signs 'TUF 12' champ Jonathan Brookins, who's headed to flyweight". mmajunkie.com. January 24, 2014.
- "Henry Cejudo, Jonathan Brookins Added to Legacy FC 34 in Mississippi". sherdog.com. July 8, 2014.
- "Legacy FC 34 results: Brian Hall, Austin Lyons score upset wins". mmajunkie.com. August 30, 2014.
- "Jonathan Brookins-Shintaro Ishiwatari Bantamweight Bout Added to Pancrase 262". Shedog.com. September 29, 2014.