Jonathan Clark (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Croydon|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Southwark|
|Consecration||21 March 2012
by Rowan Williams
|Born||13 February 1961|
|Alma mater||Exeter University|
Jonathan Dunnett Clark SCP is a Church of England bishop. He is the current area Bishop of Croydon. An Anglo-Catholic, he was Rector General of the Society of Catholic Priests from 2005 to 2008 and Chair of Affirming Catholicism from 2008 to 2012
Clark was born on 13 February 1961. He was educated at Alleyn's School, then a direct grant grammar school in Dulwich, London, from 1972 to 1979. He studied English literature at Exeter University, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1983. From 1984 to 1988, he studied theology at Trinity College, Bristol, an Evangelical theological college, during which he completed a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE).
He continued his university studies after joining the priesthood. He completed a Master of Letters (MLitt) degree in theology in 1990. His thesis was titled Narrational technique in the gospel according to Matthew. He completed a Master of Arts (MA) degree in adult education through the Open University and the University of Southampton.
Clark was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1988 and as a priest in 1989. After a curacy at Stanwix he was a chaplain at Bristol University then Director of Studies of the Southern Theological Education and Training Scheme. From 1997 to 2002 he was a chaplain at the University of North London and then the Rector of Stoke Newington until his episcopal appointment.
Clark is married to Alison and they have two children.
For further information on forms of address ("styles") traditionally given to clergy of the Church of England, see Crockford's Clerical Directory and forms of address in the United Kingdom.
Regardless of their formal style(s), a person may choose which styles to use or not use.
- The Reverend Jonathan Clark (1989–2012)
- The Right Reverend Jonathan Clark (personal: 2012–present)
- The Right Reverend The Bishop of Croydon (official: 2012–present)
- London Gazette
- "Two new Area Bishops for Southwark Diocese" (Press release). Diocese of Southwark. 3 February 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- "Jonathan Dunnett Clark". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 3 December 2016. (subscription required)
- Crockfords (London, Church House, 1995) ISBN 0715180886
- "Affirming Catholicism New Chair" (PDF). News letter. Affirming Catholicism. 30 September 2012. Archived from the original (pdf) on 18 January 2015. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Episcopal Team completed in Southwark Diocese". Diocese of Southwark. 21 March 2012. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Croydon