Jonathan Cohen (conductor)
|Born||17 November 1977|
Manchester, Greater Manchester, UK
|Occupation||Conductor of classical music|
Jonathan Cohen (born 1977) is an English cellist and conductor. He is Artistic Director and founder of the British early music ensemble Arcangelo, Artistic Director of Tetbury Music Festival, Artistic Partner of the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra (Minnesota, US), Music Director Designate of Les Violons du Roy (Canada) where he will take up the full role from the 2018-19 season, and Associate Conductor of Les Arts Florissants.
He is one of Britain’s finest musicians. He has forged a remarkable career with notable success as a conductor, cellist and keyboardist. He is well known for his passion and commitment to chamber music which he expands to diverse activities such as Baroque opera and the Classical symphonic repertoire.
Alongside his busy guest conducting career, he directs Arcangelo with whom he performs regularly throughout Europe at some of the most highly regarded festivals and concert halls. Jonathan and Arcangelo have recorded a wide range of music, from Porpora and Handel to Gluck and Mozart, including albums for Hyperion Records with soloists Iestyn Davies MBE and Christopher Purves.
After finishing his studies at Clare College, Cambridge, Jonathan began his career establishing himself as a cellist. He performed as guest principal with many of the UK’s foremost orchestras and ensembles, both symphonic and period. With this experience Jonathan developed a unique crossover specialism in the field of early music and an interest in period instruments. He was a founder member of The London Haydn Quartet, and continues to cherish performing chamber music with friends and colleagues.
As an instrumentalist, selected discography
- Antonio Vivaldi Cello Concertos The King's Consort, Robert King, Sarah McMahon Hyperion Records 2006
- Joseph Haydn String Quartet, Op 9 London Haydn Quartet Hyperion Records 2007
- Johann Sebastian Bach Cantatas BWV 51, 82a, 199 Natalie Dessay and Emanuelle Haim Warner Classics 2008
- Joseph Haydn String Quartet, Op 17 London Haydn Quartet Hyperion Records 2009
- Air Daniel Hope, Deutsche Grammophon 2009
- Mozart: An Italian Journey Jeremy Ovenden (tenor) & the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment Signum Classics 2011
- Duetti William Christie Philippe Jaroussky & Max Cencic Erato 2012
- Johann Sebastian Bach 3 Sonatas for Viola da Gamba and Harpsichord with Nicolas Altstaedt GEN 13268, Genuin Select 2013
As Artistic Director of Arcangelo, selected discography
- Porpora: Cantatas, Iestyn Davies Arcangelo, Jonathan Cohen Hyperion Records
- Arias for Guadagni, Iestyn DaviesArcangelo, Jonathan Cohen Hyperion Records
- Amoretti Christiane Karg, Arcangelo, Jonathan Cohen Berlin Classics
- Handel: Finest Arias for Base Voice Christopher Purves, Arcangelo, Jonathan Cohen Hyperion Records
- Enchanted Forest Anna Prohaska, Arcangelo, Jonathan Cohen Archiv Produktion
- Johann Sebastian Bach Mass in B Minor, Arcangelo, Jonathan Cohen (Hyperion Records,  CDA68051/2, 2014)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart violin concertos Vilde Frang, Arcangelo, & Jonathan Cohen Warner Classics
- Scene! Christiane Karg, Arcangelo, & Jonathan Cohen Berlin Classics
- Arias for Benucci Matthew Rose, Arcangelo, Jonathan Cohen (Hyperion Records,  CDA68078, 2015)
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Violin Concertos with Arcangelo & Alina Ibragimova, violin (Hyperion Records,  CDA68068, 2015)
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach: Cello Concertos with Nicolas Altstaedt (cello), Arcangelo & Jonathan Cohen (conductor) (Hyperion Records,  CDA68112, 2016)
- Johann Sebastian Bach Cantatas No 54, 82 and 170 Iestyn Davies, Arcangelo, & Jonathan Cohen (Hyperion Records,  CDA68111, 2016)
- François Couperin L'Apothéose de Lully & Leçons de ténèbres Arcangelo, & Jonathan Cohen (Hyperion Records,  CDA68093, 2017)
- Dietrich Buxtehude Sonatas Opus 1, Arcangelo & Jonathan Cohen, Alpha Classics,  Alpha 367, 2017, nominated for a Grammy Award 2018.
- John Blow, Odes, Samuel Boden, Thomas Walker, Arcangelo & Jonathan Cohen, Hyperion Records,  CDA68149, 2017, nominated for a 2018 BBC Music Magazine Award
- Bach Magnificats, Joélle Harvey, Olivia Vermeulen, Iestyn Davies,Thomas Walker, Thomas E. Bauer, Arcangelo & Jonathan Cohen, Hyperion Records,  CDA68157, 2018
- tutti-magazine.fr Interview (French)
- Kantaten Bwv 51,82a & 199, Plg Classics (Warner), 5 December 2008, retrieved 6 June 2018
- "Release "Duetti" by Philippe Jaroussky, Max Emanuel Cencic, William Christie & Les Arts Florissants - MusicBrainz". musicbrainz.org. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- "See The Full List Of 60th GRAMMY Nominees". GRAMMY.com. 27 November 2017. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "Vote now in the BBC Music Magazine Awards 2018 | BBC Music Magazine Awards". awards.classical-music.com. Retrieved 19 January 2018.