Jonathan E. Johnson
Jonathan E. Johnson
|Born||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Brigham Young University,|
Jonathan "JJ" Johnson (born Jonathan Edward Johnson III) is an American business executive, currently serving as the chairman of the board for Overstock.com. He was a candidate for the Republican nomination in the 2016 Utah gubernatorial election.
Personal life and education
Johnson was born in Los Angeles, California to Jonathan E. Johnson II and Clare Hardy Johnson, the oldest of their eight sons. He received a Bachelor's degree in Japanese from Brigham Young University in 1990, followed by a Law degree from the J. Reuben Clark Law School, also at Brigham Young University, in 1993.
In 1999, Johnson moved back to Utah to work for the publicly traded software company TenFold Corporation, lasting there until 2002 when he was hired by Overstock.com to be general counsel. He currently serves the chairman of the board at Overstock.
2016 Campaign for Utah Governor
Johnson, a Republican, formally announced his candidacy for governor on August 15, 2015 at the Republican state GOP convention Jonathan Johnson defeated his opponent in the Utah State Republican Convention, by 11 percentage points, forcing the incumbent, Governor of Utah, Gary Herbert, into a primary election, which was held June 28, 2016.
On April 18, 2016, Johnson announced his selection of Robyn Bagley as his running mate. Bagley is the founder of a charter school, and was a leader on the losing side in the voucher battle in 2007.
Johnson was defeated in the primary. Governor Gary Herbert is the Republican nominee for Utah governor in the 2016 general election.
Johnson and his running mate, Robyn Bagley, focused on education during their announcement to run together for governor and lieutenant governor, and expressed their intention to put education decisions into the hands of private companies. Both running mates voiced support for vouchers that would allow public funding to go to private schools.
Approximately 64% of all of the land in Utah is owned by the federal government. Jonathan Johnson plans to sue the federal government for Utah to gain more control over these public lands.
- Jonathan E. Johnson III. (2014). Retrieved September 18, 2015, from https://www.crunchbase.com/person/jonathan-e-johnson-iii
- "Jonathan Johnson: Idea Guy is Considering 2016 Run for Governor", by LaVarr Webb, UtahPolicy.com, June 20, 2011.
- "Happening Upon Success", by Jamie Cline, LDSLiving, February 19, 2011.
- " "Jonathan Johnson's Family on YouTube".
- What is the history of Jonathan E Johnson and the latest information about Jonathan E Johnson? (n.d.). Retrieved September 10, 2015, from "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-09-25. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- Jonathan E. Johnson III. (2015). Retrieved September 10, 2015, from http://www.fastcompany.com/user/jonathan-e-johnson-iii
- "Jonathan E. Johnson III", The Wall Street Transcript, March 23, 2009.
- Overstock.com to Acquire SpeedRoute Technologies and Related Businesses. (2014, January 29). Retrieved September 10, 2015.
- Neely, K. (2015, June 3). Overstock exec shares principles of successful businesses with AF Chamber. Retrieved September 10, 2015.
- Roche, L. (2015, August 15). Gov. Herbert gets a challenger as GOP looks to 2016. Deseret News. Retrieved from http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865634658/Overstockcom-Chairman-Jonathan-Johnson-will-take-on-Herbert-for-governor.html?pg=all
- "Gov. Gary Herbert forced into primary election with Jonathan Johnson".
- "Three Utah gubernatorial candidates announce running mates," Deseret News, April 18. 2016
- "Fight over 'Education Savings Accounts' brewing," Rod Decker, KUTV News, May 8, 2016
- "ELECTION RESULTS: Herbert wins GOP primary," Fox 13 News, June 29, 2016
- "Deseret News: Johnson/Bagley promise to put parents in charge of their children's education".
- ""KUTV 2 News: "Johnson: Stop Talking and Take Feds to Court"".