Jonathan Edwards (Welsh politician)
|Member of Parliament
for Carmarthen East and Dinefwr
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Adam Price|
26 April 1976 |
Capel Hendre, Carmarthenshire
|Political party||Plaid Cymru|
David Jonathan Edwards (born 26 April 1976) is a Plaid Cymru politician in the United Kingdom. He was first elected as the Member of Parliament (MP) for the constituency of Carmarthen East and Dinefwr in Wales in May 2010. Edwards held the seat for Plaid Cymru, replacing previous MP Adam Price who stood down.
Edwards posted a Twitter remark in 2014 criticising Wales rugby captain Sam Warburton for describing himself as British whilst representing the British and Irish Lions and again in the run up to the Scottish independence referendum 2014 with the claim unionists "loathe" their country Politicians from other parties re-affirmed their dual British and Welsh identities.
Acting as Plaid Cymru's Brexit spokesperson, Edwards described the Brexit bill as the "biggest job-killing act in Welsh economic history". A proposed amendment introduced by Edwards which would have required the government to report on the effect on Wales' public finances was defeated, and Edwards voted against the third reading of the bill.
- "Jonathan Edwards MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Who's Who".
- "No. 59418". The London Gazette. 13 May 2010. p. 8746.
- BBC, 7 May 2010, BBC Election 2010 Results
- WalesOnline (5 January 2012). "Plaid Cymru backs devolution bid by fellow Celts in Cornwall".
- "'British' Wales star Sam Warburton sparks political row". BBC News. 7 March 2014. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- Williamson, David (8 August 2014). "Plaid MP Jonathan Edwards defends his claim that unionists 'loathe' their country". Wales Online. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- "Plaid Cymru MP warns of Brexit Bill 'job-killing act'". ITV. 7 February 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Welsh Labour MPs vote against Brexit bill at third reading". BBC. 8 February 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- Jonathan Edwards MP official constituency website
- Jonathan Edwards MP Plaid Cymru profile
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Contributions in Parliament during 2006–07 2007–08 2008–09 2009–10 at Hansard Archives
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for a Welsh constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2015 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2017 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|