|Part of a series on the|
|History of Dedham|
Jonathan Fairbanks (1594 – December 5, 1668) was an English colonist born in Heptonstall, Halifax, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England who immigrated to New England in 1633. Around 1636 Fairbanks built the Fairbanks House in Dedham, Massachusetts which is today the oldest surviving wood framed house in North America.
Fairbanks married Grace Smith in Halifax on May 20, 1617. Together they had six children. To celebrate the Fairbanks' 400th wedding anniversary, the Fairbanks Family in America offered half price admission to the house, as well as wedding cake and popcorn on May 20, 2017.
Settlement in New England
Jonathan Fairbanks arrived in Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony, with his family in 1633. The Fairbanks family remained in Boston about three years, before settling in Dedham, as one of the earliest settler families. The family purchased 12 acres of land, and in 1637 master carpenters began constructing their home. Jonathan Fairbanks signed the Covenant when the town was founded and named.
Conversion to Christianity
Jonathan Fairbanks had "long stood off from the church upon some scruples about public profession of faith and the covenant, yet after divers loving conferences..., [In 1646] he made such a declaration of his faith and conversion to God and profession of subjection to the ordinances of Christ in the church that he was readily and gladly received by the whole church." Fairbanks became a member of the First Church in Dedham, which espoused a Reformed theology (Calvinist) in the seventeenth century.
As was common at the time Jonathan used several spellings of his surname: Fairbanke, Fairebanke, Fayerbanke, and on his will Fairbanck. His sons and grandsons began spelling the name Fairbank or Fairbanks. The spelling Fairbanks carried on for 15 generations.
- "RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: The Ancestry of Overmire Tifft Richardson Bradford Reed". wc.rootsweb.com. Retrieved 2016-04-10.
- "Happy 400th Anniversary to Jonathan and Grace Fairbanks!". The Dedham Times. May 12, 2017. p. 11.
- (Genealogy of the Fairbanks Family) http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/w/e/i/Irene-Weinmann/GENE2-0001.html
- Lockridge, Kenneth (1985). A New England Town. New York: WW Norton & Company. p. 31. ISBN 0-393-95459-5.
- Covenant of the First Church in Dedham: with some facts of history and ... By First Church (Dedham, Mass., H. H. McQuillen, 1878) https://books.google.com/books?id=LiZZNAOJwnAC&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records and Online Memorials
- "Nathaniel Kellogg Fairbank, his antecedents and descendants", a monograph by Helen de Freitas