Jonathan Ames Friedman
|Born||April 7, 1946|
|Alma mater||Columbia University (Ph.D., 1972)|
|Thesis||'System, Structure, and Contradiction: The Evolution of 'Asiatic' Social Formations (1972)|
|Sub-discipline||Cultural Anthropologist, Hawaii and Congo Specialist, Marxist Anthropology|
|Institutions||University of California, San Diego|
School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences
Jonathan Friedman (born April 7, 1946) is an American anthropologist. He earned his Ph.D. at Columbia University in 1972. He is professor emeritus of Anthropology at University of California, San Diego and Director of Studies at the École des hautes études en sciences sociales. He is an editorial board member of the journal Anthropological Theory. Friedman has done most of his research in Hawaii and the Republic of Congo.[clarification needed]
Jonathan Friedman is a contributor to the Swedish social conservative news site Samhällsnytt, along with Russian journalist Egor Putilov aka. Alexander Friedback. The site was founded by Sweden Democrat politician Kent Ekeroth as a successor to the discontinued site Avpixlat.
- Dynamics of tribal societies,
- Cultural identity and global processes,
- Global systemic anthropology,
- Transformation of the nation state,
- Multiculturalism and migration,
- Upland Southeast Asia,
- System, structure and contradiction in the evolution of "Asiatic" social formations, National Museum of Copenhagen, 1979 [+ 2nd edition: Altamira Press 1998, with a new foreword] with Scott Lash(eds) Modernity and identity, Blackwell, Oxford, 1992
- Consumption and Identity. London: Harwood Academic Press, 1994
- Globalization and Violence, Vol. 3: Globalizing War and Intervention. London: Sage Publications. 2006.
- The anthropology of global systems: Modernities, class and the contradictions of globalization. Walnut Creek: Altamira Press 2007
- Friedman, Jonathan Ames (1972). System, Structure, and Contradiction: The Evolution of 'Asiatic' Social Formations (Ph.D.). Columbia University. OCLC 500241821. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- "Jonathan Friedman". Anthropology - Emeritus Profile. University of California, San Diego. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- "Editorial Board". Anthropological Theory. Sage Publishing. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- "Avpixlat byter namn – Putilov och Almqvist med i redaktionen". www.resume.se (in Swedish). Retrieved 2017-09-04.
- "Kent Ekeroth byter Avpixlat mot ny sajt - DN.SE". DN.SE (in Swedish). 2017-09-04. Retrieved 2017-09-04.