Jonathan González (footballer, born 1999)
|Full name||Jonathan Alexander González Mendoza|
|Date of birth||April 13, 1999|
|Place of birth||Santa Rosa, California, United States|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|2008–2014||Atletico Santa Rosa|
|2014||United States U17||3||(0)|
|2015–2017||United States U18||16||(1)|
|2017||United States U20||2||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:15, March 24, 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of October 22, 2018
On 21 July 2017, González made his senior professional debut for Monterrey in their opening match of the 2017–18 season against Monarcas Morelia. Concluding at the first half of the season, he would go on to be included in the Ideal Eleven of Apertura 2017. At the end of the 2017–18 season, he was given the Rookie of the Year Award from Mexico's Balón de Oro.
Born in the United States to Mexican parents, González holds U.S. and Mexican citizenship, making him eligible to represent both the United States and the Mexico national teams. González has represented the United States at several international youth levels ranging from the under-14 to the under-20 side, including the under-17 side. In January 2018, however, he reportedly communicated his desire to represent Mexico at senior level. On January 24, 2018, González received his one-time switch from FIFA, clearing him to play for Mexico.
On May 22, 2018, he was called up for the Mexico U-21 side that would participate at the 2018 Toulon Tournament in France. He would go on to start in all group stage matches and the semi-final but did not appear in the final where Mexico lost 2–1 against England due to an injury.
Style of play
Thomas Harrison of Outsideoftheboot.com described González as "A technically proficient midfielder, who’s displayed a decent eye for a pass, Jonathan usually plays in a “number six” role as a deep-lying playmaker in a three-man midfield. However, he can use his talents in a more advanced midfield role, or as part of a double-pivot in a two-man midfield. "
Tom Marshall of ESPN wrote about González, "There's no petulance or talking back to the officials, but there is an aggressive (in a good way) and incessant motor looking to break up the opposition's play and distribute correctly when on the ball."
- As of 6 March 2019
- Liga MX Best XI: Apertura 2017
- Liga MX Balón de Oro: 2017–18 Rookie of the Year
- CONCACAF Champions League Best Young Player: 2019
- "MEXIQUE". Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Mexico targeting U.S. youth international Jonathan Gonzalez".
- "Jonathan Alexander González Mendoza". Ligamx.net. Liga MX. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- Eskilson, J.R. (February 15, 2014). "U.S. YNT mid signs with Monterrey". Top Drawer Soccer. Retrieved July 21, 2017.
- "Morella vs. Monterrey". Soccerway.
- "Los extranjeros dominan el 11 ideal del Apertura 2017 de la Liga MX". Marca. December 18, 2017. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- Marshall, Tom (July 15, 2018). "Former U.S. youth international Jonathan Gonzalez named Liga MX rookie of the year". ESPN. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- "Jonathan Gonzalez to play for Mexico instead of US". www.sportsnet.ca. January 9, 2018. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- Steven Goff (January 8, 2018). "U.S. soccer loses rising star Jonathan Gonzalez to Mexico". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- Tom Marshall (January 8, 2018). "Jonathan Gonzalez chooses Mexico over United States - sources". ESPN FC. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Marshall, Tom (January 24, 2018). "Jonathan Gonzalez receives FIFA clearance to play for Mexico". ESPN FC. Retrieved January 26, 2018.
- Yoesting, Travis (February 1, 2018). "Jonathan Gonzalez Makes Solid Debut For Mexico — In The U.S." The18.com. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- "Mexico sends strong squad to Toulon Tournament". FMF State of Mind. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- "Mexico loses Toulon Tournament Final against England". FMF State of Mind. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- Marshall, Tom (May 28, 2018). "Mexico never promised Jonathan Gonzalez spot in World Cup squad - Te Kloese". ESPN. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- Harrison, Thomas (August 16, 2018). "Talent Radar: Liga MX's 10 Young Players to Watch in 2018-19". Outsideoftheboot.com. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- Marshall, Tom (September 6, 2018). "Jonathan Gonzalez can't wait to suit up for Mexico vs. U.S. for first time". ESPN. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- Jonathan González at Soccerway
- "Los extranjeros dominan el 11 ideal del Apertura 2017 de la Liga MX" (in Spanish). www.Marca.com. December 18, 2017. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- "Young Player Award 2019". CONCACAF.com. May 1, 2019.