Jonathan Gruber (filmmaker)
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Projects that Gruber directed and produced have screened at festivals and in theaters nationwide and around the world, and have aired on PBS, The History Channel, National Geographic, Discovery Networks, and more.
His film, Follow Me: The Yoni Netanyahu Story, was an in depth look into the private life of the man who became the hero and pivotal strategist in the Israeli rescue of the Israeli hostages from Entebbe, Uganda following the hijacking of an Air France plane by Palestinian militants, which Idi Amin permitted to land in his country. After the Jewish and Israeli passengers were separated and threatened, the Israeli government quickly devised Operation Entebbe, which ended with the rescue of the passengers, but the death of Netanyahu. The film won awards at several national film festivals.
Jewish Soldiers in Blue & Gray, another film that he directed, wrote, and produced, is currently airing on PBS stations nationally.
Projects in Development
- A Deal with the Devil, a modern history of the colossal German corporation I.G. Farben, spanning 150 years
- the daring story of Soviet athletes who risked everything for freedom during the Cold War
- a narrative of the Jewish-American experience as told through the lens of the more than 100-year-old Jewish newspaper, The Forward
- the story of the most polluted lake in the United States — a tale of industry, politics, and the legacy of a people
- A Different Drummer, a profile of a 1960s African-American, inner-city drum and bugle corps, and their 21st century revival
- Miriam Beerman: A Painter’s Journey, which chronicles the evolution of a prolific, female artist over 70 years in a male-dominated profession
- "Masthead". RetroReport. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- Lebowitz, Steven (21 April 2012). "Judy Blume wins big at Palm Beach International Film Festival". Examiner.
- Kate Sweeney &, John Lemley (7 August 2013). ""Jewish Soldiers" Separates Civil War Myth from Truth". WABE/NPR.
- "Print JEWISH SOLDIERS IN BLUE & GRAY". APT/American Public Television.
- GENZLINGER, NEIL (18 May 2012). "The Life and Death of an Israeli Hero". New York Times.
- Merry, Stephanie (2 May 2012). "Follow Me: The Yoni Netanyahu Story". Washington Post.
- "2013 Charlotte Jewish Film Festival". Charlotte Jewish Film Festival. 12 March 2012.
- COHN,, ROBERT (14 January 2012). "Civil War Sesquicentennial: was the St. Louis Jew Gray or Blue?". St Louis Jewish Light.
- Rosen, Louis (Fall 2012). "A Deal With the Devil" (PDF). Lousi Rosen LTD (Fall).
- Jull, Sandra. "Sachsenhausen at Oranienburg, where from 1936 to the end of the war 200,000 people were locked up, beaten, hanged, shot and worked to death, ground down by pitiless slave labor and gassed.". Hitler's Third Reich. Sandra Jull.
- "Jonathan Gruber". IMDB.