Jonathan Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere
|The Viscount Rothermere|
|Born||3 December 1967|
|Alma mater||Duke University|
|Net worth||$1.37 billion (November 2015)|
Baronet of Horsey
|Spouse(s)||Claudia Caroline Clemence|
|Children||Vere Richard Jonathan Harold Harmsworth (b. 1994)
Eleanor Patricia Margaret Harmsworth (b. 1996)
Theodora Harmsworth (b. 2001)
Iris Harmsworth (b. 2003)
Alfred Harmsworth (b. 2010)
|Parent(s)||Vere, Viscount Rothermere and Patricia Evelyn Beverley Matthews|
Jonathan Harold Esmond Vere Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere (born 3 December 1967) is a British viscount and inheritor of a newspaper and media empire founded by his great-grandfather Harold Sidney Harmsworth.
Harmsworth held various positions in Associated Newspapers and was managing director of the Evening Standard, when the sudden death of his father in 1998 resulted in his becoming the controlling shareholder and chairman of Associated and of its parent Daily Mail and General Trust just before his 31st birthday. One notable change he has instituted since becoming chairman is requiring directors to retire at age 75.
He ranked fourth in the Publishing, Advertising, and PR section of the Sunday Times Rich List 2013 with an estimated wealth of £720 million. In April 2015, the Sunday Times estimated his net worth at £1 billion He has non-domicile tax status and owns his media businesses through a complex structure of offshore holdings and trusts.
In 2013, Private Eye reported that Viscount Rothermere falsely claims non-dom status, in order to avoid paying tax on his stately home, Ferne House. This move saves him several millions of pounds in tax annually.
He gave evidence to the Leveson Inquiry into the Culture, Practices and Ethics of the Press on 10 May 2012.
- The Honourable Vere Richard Jonathan Harold Harmsworth (b. 1994)
- The Honourable Eleanor Patricia Margaret Harmsworth (b. 1996)
- The Honourable Theodora Mairi Ferne Harmsworth (b. 2001)
- The Honourable Iris Geraldine Lilian Harmsworth (b. 2004)
- The Honourable Alfred Northcliffe St. John Harmsworth (b. 2010)
|Ancestors of Jonathan Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere|
- "Jonathan Harmsworth". Forbes. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- "Person Page 7348". Thepeerage.com. 7 May 2011. Archived from the original on 3 November 2011. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "Rothermere: 'DMGT remains committed to journalism'". Press Gazette. 21 January 2009.
- Mark Sweney (19 April 2013). "Barclay brothers named richest media figures in UK with £2.3bn fortune". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Sunday Times Rich List". The Sunday Times (page 34). 26 April 2014.
- Private Eye. "Rothermere's patriot games". Archived from the original on 21 October 2013.
- "Private Eye Street Of Shame: Rothermere's patriot games". 2013-10-21. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Vervier, Catherine (20 July 2008). "The end of the affair: Dacre moves towards Cameron". The Independent. Archived from the original on 6 October 2013. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Roy Greenslade (22 July 2002). "Seconds out, round two". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 3 October 2013. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "Statement by Lord Justice Leveson". Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Viscount Harmsworth
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Vere Harold Esmond Harmsworth
1998 – present