Jonathan Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere
|The Viscount Rothermere|
|Born||3 December 1967|
|Alma mater||Duke University|
|Net worth||$1.37 billion (November 2015)|
Baronet of Horsey
|Spouse(s)||Claudia Caroline Clemence|
|Children||Vere Richard Jonathan Harold Harmsworth (b. 1994)
Eleanor Patricia Margaret Harmsworth (b. 1996)
Theodora Harmsworth (b. 2001)
Iris Harmsworth (b. 2003)
Alfred Harmsworth (b. 2010)
|Parent(s)||Vere, Viscount Rothermere and Patricia Evelyn Beverley Matthews|
Harold Jonathan Esmond Vere Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere (born 3 December 1967) is a British viscount and inheritor of a newspaper and media empire founded by his great-grandfather Harold Sidney Harmsworth.
Harmsworth held various positions in Associated Newspapers and was managing director of the Evening Standard, when the sudden death of his father in 1998 resulted in his becoming the controlling shareholder and chairman of Associated and of its parent Daily Mail and General Trust just before his 31st birthday. One notable change he has instituted since becoming chairman is requiring directors to retire at age 75.
He ranked fourth in the Publishing, Advertising, and PR section of the Sunday Times Rich List 2013 with an estimated wealth of £720 million. In April 2015, the Sunday Times estimated his net worth at £1.0 billion He has non-domicile tax status and owns his media businesses through a complex structure of offshore holdings and trusts which entail him paying almost no UK tax on his income, investments or wealth.
He gave evidence to the Leveson Inquiry into the Culture, Practices and Ethics of the Press on 10 May 2012.
- The Honourable Vere Richard Jonathan Harold Harmsworth (b. 1994)
- The Honourable Eleanor Patricia Margaret Harmsworth (b. 1996)
- The Honourable Theodora Mairi Ferne Harmsworth (b. 2001)
- The Honourable Iris Geraldine Lilian Harmsworth (b. 2004)
- The Honourable Alfred Northcilffe St. John Harmsworth (b. 2010)
|Ancestors of Jonathan Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere|
- "Jonathan Harmsworth". Forbes. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- "Person Page 7348". Thepeerage.com. May 7, 2011. Archived from the original on November 3, 2011. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Rothermere: 'DMGT remains committed to journalism'". Press Gazette. January 21, 2009.
- Mark Sweney (April 19, 2013). "Barclay brothers named richest media figures in UK with £2.3bn fortune". The Guardian. Archived from the original on November 5, 2013. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- "Sunday Times Rich List". The Sunday Times (page 34). 26 April 2014.
- Private Eye. "Rothermere’s patriot games".
- Vervier, Catherine (July 20, 2008). "The end of the affair: Dacre moves towards Cameron". The Independent. Archived from the original on October 6, 2013. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- Roy Greenslade (July 22, 2002). "Seconds out, round two". The Guardian. Archived from the original on October 3, 2013. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Statement by Lord Justice Leveson". Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Viscount Harmsworth
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Vere Harold Esmond Harmsworth
1998 – present
|This biography of a viscount in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|