This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jonathan Kane plays drums at the Transfiguration Festival in Asheville, NC
November 4, 1956 |
New York City, New York, United States
|Genres||Experimental, minimal, blues, no wave|
|Instruments||drums, guitar, bass|
|Associated acts||LaMonte Young, Swans, Rhys Chatham, Jonathan Kane's February, Dave Soldier, Art Kane|
Jonathan Kane (born November 4, 1956) is an American musician and composer. Coming out of New York's Downtown Music scene of the early 1980s, Kane is known for his work with minimalist composers La Monte Young and Rhys Chatham, was a founding member of NYC band Swans, and leads his own minimalist blues band Jonathan Kane's February.
Kane began his professional career while in high school in 1974. Along with his brother, harmonica player Anthony Kane, they formed the Kane Bros. Blues Band, working east coast USA clubs and opening concerts for Muddy Waters, James Cotton, Willie Dixon and many other blues greats.
Other groups and artists Kane has toured and recorded with include Dave Soldier, The Kropotkins, Gary Lucas, Transmission, Elliott Sharp, Soldier String Quartet, John Zorn, Jean-Francois Pauvros, Jac Berrocal, and Tony Hymas. He has also composed music for choreographers Bebe Miller, Lisa Fox and Wally Cardona.
- 1974 - 1977 - Kane Bros. Blues Band
- 1977 - 1979 - Attends Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA
- 1980 - 1981 - NYC post punk band Circus Mort with future Swans front man Michael Gira
- 1981 - 1983 - Forms Swans with Michael Gira, forms Transmission with Daniel Galliduani, tours USA with Swans/Sonic Youth 'Savage Blunder Tours', tours with Rhys Chatham on "Kitchen Tour USA 1"
- 1984 - 1988 - Composes and arranges for choreographers Bebe Miller and Lisa Fox
- 1988 - 2009 - World premier in 1988 of Rhys Chatham's symphony for 100 electric guitars 'An Angel Moves Too Fast To See' features Kane as the only drummer. Tours worldwide.
- 1991 - 2000 - Member of La Monte Young's 'Forever Bad Blues Band' performing Young's 3+ hour piece 'Young's Dorian Blues in G'. Tours worldwide.
- 1994–present - Forms The Kropotkins with Dave Soldier, Moe Tucker, Lorette Velvette and Charles Burnham.
- 2005–present - Forms Jonathan Kane's February, tours USA and Europe, releases 5 records/cds on Table of the Elements label and Issue Project Room Editions. Band members have included Igor Cubrilovic (producer), Peg Simone, Jon Crider, David Bicknell, Adam Wills (Bear In Heaven), Eric Eble, Ernie Brooks (Modern Lovers), David Daniell, and Paul Duncan.
- 2010–present - Joins X Patsy's with artists Robert Longo, Jon Kessler and actress Barbara Sukowa. Tours Europe
- 2012–present - Forms Soldier Kane with Dave Soldier
Jonathan Kane is the son of American photographer Art Kane. He has two brothers, Anthony and Nikolas. He is married to poet and lyricist Holly Anderson. They live in NYC and Delaware County, NY and have a daughter Lucy Anderson Kane.
|This article on a United States composer born in the 20th century is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|