|Birth name||Jonathan Rashleigh Knight|
|Born||November 29, 1968|
|Origin||Worcester, Massachusetts, United States|
Real estate developer
|Associated acts||New Kids on the Block, NKOTBSB|
Jonathan Rashleigh Knight (born November 29, 1968) is an American singer. Knight is part of the boy band New Kids on the Block. The band also includes Donnie Wahlberg, Joey McIntyre, Danny Wood and Jonathan's younger brother Jordan. He is the oldest member of the group and was the first to leave the group in 1994 prior to their official disbanding.
Jonathan Rashleigh Knight was born in Worcester, Massachusetts to parents Marlene Putnam and Allan Knight. He is the fifth of six children: Allison, Sharon, David, Christopher, and Jordan. His father and step-mother are both Episcopal priests.
New Kids on the Block
From 1984 until 1994, Knight was a member of an award-winning American pop group New Kids on the Block. The group went on to sell over 80 million albums worldwide before disbanding in 1994 after Knight left the group during the tour for their 1994 album Face the Music. The group originally tried to continue the tour claiming Knight had been badly hurt by a horse, but in a press conference a few weeks later, the group revealed that they were actually disbanding. Knight's early departure from the group led to reports that some members were frustrated with the way he departed and that those feelings prevented an earlier reformation of the group.
In the spring of 2008, Knight returned to show business, reuniting with the other four members of New Kids on the Block. The band released their seventh album (and first in 14 years), The Block, on September 2, 2008. To confirm their reunion and announce the new album, the band performed live together on May 16, 2008 for the first time in fifteen years on the Today show.
A world tour was scheduled to follow the new release and began in Toronto on September 18, 2008. The first single from the album, "Summertime", performed well worldwide peaking as #9 in Canada and breaking the top 30 in the U.S. charts (#24 as a digital download). The group released "Single", their second single from The Block in August 2008.
Jonathan is the older brother of Jordan Knight.
In the years after the group first disbanded, Knight has worked as a real estate developer living in Essex, Massachusetts, and rarely made public appearances or gave interviews. In 2000, Knight revealed that he has suffered from panic attacks since his early career with New Kids on the Block. He has since sought medical help and his health had improved. In 2011, Knight appeared on MTV reality series True Life to help a fan suffering from panic disorder.
In the early 1990s, Knight was linked to teen pop singer Tiffany; both denied dating at the time. In 2009, the National Enquirer published an article from a man claiming to be Knight's ex-boyfriend, and outing him as gay. In a January 2011 interview, singer Tiffany stated that Knight is gay, which Knight then confirmed, saying "I have lived my life very openly and have never hidden the fact that I am gay." In a statement on the NKOTB blog, he added "Apparently the prerequisite to being a gay public figure is to appear on the cover of a magazine with the caption 'I am gay'. I apologize for not doing so if this is what was expected!"
He has been in a relationship with Harley Rodriguez as of 2008. The two participated in the 26th season of the reality competition series The Amazing Race, which aired on CBS in early 2015. where they placed 9th.
- "Biography for Jordan Knight". Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Mascia, Kristen (September 19, 2008). "NKOTB's Danny Wood: 'Opening Night Was Amazing'". People. Retrieved February 8, 2009.
- "New Kids on the Block Return to Today for First Show in 15 Years". Rolling Stone. May 16, 2008. Retrieved February 8, 2009.
- "Artist Chart History — New Kids on the Block". Billboard. Retrieved February 8, 2009.
- Tauber, Michelle (November 20, 2000). "Renewed Kid". People. Retrieved February 8, 2009.
- Bottomley, C. (April 11, 2001). "Older Kids on the Comeback". VH1. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Fink, Mitchell (November 12, 1990). "The Insider: Tiffany's Dating Game". People. Retrieved February 8, 2009.
- "NKOTB Jonathan Knight gay". Daily Stab. February 5, 2009. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Cline, Georgette (January 21, 2011). "Tiffany reveals NKOTB's Jonathan Knight is 'gay'". AOL Music. Archived from the original on August 16, 2011. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Wenn (January 29, 2011). "Knight: 'I never hid my sexuality'". contactmusic.com. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Pep, Steve (January 29, 2011). "Jonathan Knight: I have never hidden the fact that I am gay". Towleroad. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Nordyke, Kimberly (January 20, 2015). "'Amazing Race': NKOTB's Jonathan Knight Among Cast, New 'Date Night' Reward Added". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 21, 2015.
- New Kids On The Block official website
- New Kids On The Block videos
- Jonathan Knight at the Internet Movie Database