|Birth name||Jonathan Rashleigh Knight|
|Born||November 29, 1968|
|Origin||Worcester, Massachusetts, United States|
Real estate developer
|Years active||1984–1994, 2008-present|
|Associated acts||New Kids on the Block, NKOTBSB|
Jonathan Rashleigh Knight (born November 29, 1968) is an American singer. He is part of the boy band New Kids on the Block. It also includes Donnie Wahlberg, Joey McIntyre, Danny Wood and his younger brother, Jordan. He is the oldest member of the band and the first to leave it in 1994 prior to their official split.
Knight was born in Dorcester, Massachusetts to parents Marlene Putnam and Allan Knight. He is the fifth of six children: Allison, Sharon, David, Christopher, and Jordan. His parents are both Episcopal priests.
New Kids on the Block
From 1984 until 1994, Knight was a member of an award-winning American boy band New Kids on the Block. They went on to sell over 80 million albums worldwide before splitting in 1994 after he left during the tour for their 1994 album Face the Music. They originally tried to continue the tour claiming he had been badly hurt by a horse, but in a press conference a few weeks later, they revealed that they were actually splitting. His early departure led to reports that some members were frustrated with the way he did so and that those feelings prevented an earlier reformation of them.
In the spring of 2008, Knight returned to show business, reuniting with the other four members of New Kids on the Block. They released their seventh album (and first in 14 years), The Block, on September 2, 2008. To confirm their reunion and announce the new album, they performed live together on May 16, 2008 for the first time in fifteen years on the Today show.
A world tour was scheduled to follow the new release and began in Toronto on September 18, 2008. The first single from it, "Summertime", performed well worldwide peaking as #9 in Canada and breaking the top 30 in the U.S. charts (#24 as a digital download). They released "Single", their second single from The Block in August 2008.
Knight is the older brother of Jordan.
In the years after the group first disbanded, Knight has worked as a real estate investor living in Essex, Massachusetts, no longer in the spotlight he rarely made public appearances or gave interviews. In 2000, he revealed that he has suffered from generalized anxiety disorder since his early career with New Kids on the Block. He has since sought medical help and his health had improved. In 2011, he appeared on MTV reality series True Life to help a fan suffering from panic disorder.
In the early 1990s, Knight was linked to teen pop singer Tiffany; both denied dating at the time. In 2009, the National Enquirer published an article from his ex-boyfriend, and outing him as gay. In a January 2011 interview, Tiffany stated that he is gay, which he then confirmed, saying "I have lived my life very openly and have never hidden the fact that I am gay." In a statement on the New Kids on the Block blog, he added "Apparently the prerequisite to being a gay public figure is to appear on the cover of a magazine with the caption 'I am gay'. I apologize for not doing so if this is what was expected!"
Knight has been in a relationship with Harley Rodriguez as of 2008. The two participated in the 26th season of the reality competition series The Amazing Race, which aired on CBS in early 2015 where they placed 9th. The two became engaged when Knight proposed on November 15, 2016 while they vacationed in Africa.
- "Biography for Jordan Knight". Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Mascia, Kristen (September 19, 2008). "NKOTB's Danny Wood: 'Opening Night Was Amazing'". People. Retrieved February 8, 2009.
- "New Kids on the Block Return to Today for First Show in 15 Years". Rolling Stone. May 16, 2008. Retrieved February 8, 2009.
- "Artist Chart History — New Kids on the Block". Billboard. Retrieved February 8, 2009.
- Tauber, Michelle (November 20, 2000). "Renewed Kid". People. Retrieved February 8, 2009.
- Bottomley, C. (April 11, 2001). "Older Kids on the Comeback". MTV. Archived from the original on 2013-12-28. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Fink, Mitchell (November 12, 1990). "The Insider: Tiffany's Dating Game". People. Retrieved February 8, 2009.
- "NKOTB Jonathan Knight gay". Daily Stab. February 5, 2009. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Cline, Georgette (January 21, 2011). "Tiffany reveals NKOTB's Jonathan Knight is 'gay'". AOL Music. Archived from the original on August 16, 2011. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Wenn (January 29, 2011). "Knight: 'I never hid my sexuality'". contactmusic.com. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Pep, Steve (January 29, 2011). "Jonathan Knight: I have never hidden the fact that I am gay". Towleroad. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Nordyke, Kimberly (January 20, 2015). "'Amazing Race': NKOTB's Jonathan Knight Among Cast, New 'Date Night' Reward Added". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 21, 2015.
- Kimble, Elizabeth (15 Nov 2016). "Making It Official: NKOTB's Jonathan Knight and Harley Rodriguez Are Engaged!". People. Retrieved 17 November 2016.