Jonathan Lasker in his New York studio in 2007.
Jersey City, New Jersey
Lasker was born in Jersey City, New Jersey, and attended the School of Visual Arts in New York City as well as the California Institute of the Arts in Valencia, California. He lives and works in New York City.
Lasker has been awarded National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship Grants in 1987 and again in 1989. In 1989 he was also awarded the New York Foundation for the Arts Fellowship Grant. His work has been covered in Artforum, Artscribe, Arts Magazine, Art Today, Flash Art, New Art Examiner, New York Magazine, The New York Times, ;;Tema Celeste, Village Voice, and The Washington Post among others. He was the subject of the 2005 book Jonathan Lasker: Expressions Become Things by Richard Milazzo.
Lasker's work is included in numerous private and public collections around the world. Museums who have Lasker's work in their collections include:
- Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, New York
- Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham, Alabama
- The British Library, London, England
- Casino Luxembourg, Forum for Contemporary Art, Luxembourg
- Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.
- De Peter Stuyvesant stichting, Amsterdam
- Eli Broad Foundation, Los Angeles, California
- Fond National d'Art Contemporain, Paris, France
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, California
- La Fondacion Caja de Pensiones, Madrid
- High Museum, Atlanta, Georgia
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington, D. C.
- MIT List Visual Arts Center, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Moderna Museet, Stockholm, Sweden
- Museo de Arte Contemporaneo, Seville, Spain
- Museum Ludwig, Cologne, Germany
- New York Public Library, New York, New York
- Wacoal Art Center, Tokyo, Japan
- Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, New York
- Wichita Art Museum, Wichita, Kansas