Jonathan Levin (economist)
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
Nuffield College, Oxford
|Awards||John Bates Clark Medal (2011)|
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
Jonathan Levin (born November 17, 1972) is an American economist at Stanford University who succeeded Garth Saloner as the dean at Stanford Graduate School of Business on September 1, 2016. He also has an appointment as the Holbrook Working Professor of Price Theory in the Department of Economics at Stanford. He had been Chair of the Economics Department. He was awarded the 2011 John Bates Clark Medal.
Levin received his BA and BS degrees from Stanford University in 1994, an MPhil in Economics from Nuffield College, Oxford in 1996, and his PhD in Economics from MIT in 1999. He was a post-doctoral scholar at the Cowles Foundation at Yale University, and began teaching at Stanford in 2000. His research is in the field of Industrial Organization.
Levin has had numerous professional experiences in the realm of economics, whether in the world of academia or business. He has served on many committees and boards, sharing his expertise with fellow economists and the general public. Additionally, within the education track, he has given back to the next generation of economists as a college professor, eventually leading him to his current role as dean of the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
Awards and honors
Levin has received over a dozen honors and awards. His most esteemed is the previously mentioned John Bates Clark Medal in 2011, which is regarded as the most distinguished economic title after the Nobel Prize. Some of his other notable achievements include:
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Fellowship, 2014
- American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, Best Paper Award, 2014
- Kavli Frontiers of Science Symposium, 2006
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship, 2004–2006
- George Webb Medley Thesis Prize, Oxford, 1996
Levin has a wife and three children, with whom he lives on the Stanford campus south of San Francisco, in Palo Alto.
- Relational contracts, incentives and information
- Chaykowski, Kathleen. "Stanford Business School Names Economist Jonathan Levin As Its New Dean". Forbes. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- Lahart, Justin (April 19, 2011). "Stanford's Jonathan Levin Wins John Bates Clark Medal". Wall Street Journal.
- Gellman, Lindsay (May 23, 2016). "Stanford Business School Names Economist Jonathan Levin as New Dean". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- "Jonathan Levin CV" (PDF). Stanford University. Stanford University.