Jonathan Maberry and his dog Rosie in 2012
|Born||May 18, 1958|
|Pen name||Shane MacDougall|
|Alma mater||Temple University|
|Notable works||Ghost Road Blues, Rot & Ruin, Dust and Decay, Flesh & Bone, "Fire and Ash"|
|Notable awards||Multiple Bram Stoker Awards|
Jonathan Maberry (born May 18, 1958) is an American suspense author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Today’s Top Ten Horror Writers.
Jonathan Maberry was born in Kensington, Philadelphia, attended Frankford High School, and then went on to Temple University. Growing up in a rough neighborhood, he began learning martial arts at the age of 6.
Maberry's early work featured martial arts as a topic, such as Judo and You (Kendall Hunt 1990), Ultimate Jujutsu (Strider Nolan, 2002) and Ultimate Sparring (Strider Nolan 2003).
In the next phase of his career, he departed from martial arts writing and wrote several books on the folklore and beliefs of the occult and paranormal, including The Vampire Slayers Field Guide to the Undead (Strider Nolan, 2000), written under the pen name of Shane MacDougall; Vampire Universe: The Dark World of Supernatural Beings That Haunt Us, Hunt Us and Hunger for Us (Citadel Press, 2006); The Cryptopedia, co-authored by David F. Kramer (2007); Zombie CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead (2008); They Bite (also with David F. Kramer, 2009); and Wanted Undead or Alive (with Janice Gable Bashman, 2010). The Cryptopedia won the Bram Stoker Award for best nonfiction work.
His first novel, Ghost Road Blues, won the 2007 Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel. That book was the first of the Pine Deep Trilogy and was followed by Dead Man's Song (2007) and Bad Moon Rising (2008), all from Pinnacle Books.
Maberry is also a freelance comic book writer, first for Marvel and later for Dark Horse and IDW Publishing. His first story, "Wolverine: Ghosts", was published as a backup story in Wolverine: Anniversary, April 2009. In August 2009 he became the regular writer for Marvel's Black Panther series, starting on the 7th issue, and he wrote Marvel Zombies Return: Wolverine. In 2010, he wrote Doom War and Marvel Universe Vs The Punisher, Marvel Universe Vs Wolverine, Marvel Universe Vs The Avengers; Klaws of the Panther, and Captain America: Hail Hydra. He moved to Dark Horse Comics and produced a single miniseries, Bad Blood,with artist Tyler Crook, which went on to win the Bram Stoker Award for Best Graphic Novel. His work for IDW Publishing includes two collections of V-Wars, a five-issue standalone series Rot & Ruin: Warrior Smart, and his latest series Pandemic.
His bestselling work was the novelization of the 2010 film The Wolfman which starred Benicio del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt, and Hugo Weaving. In March 2010, the novel reached #35 on the mass-market paperback section of The New York Times Best Seller List. It was nominated for and won the Scribe Award for Best Film Adaptation, issued by the International Association of Media Tie-in Writers.
In 2010 Maberry began writing young adult post-apocalyptic zombie stories. His first prestigious award was for his first young adult novel, Rot & Ruin (2010, Simon & Schuster). It won the 2010 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel, was named in Booklist’s Ten Best Horror Novels for Young Adults, an American Library Association Top Pick, a Bram Stoker and Pennsylvania Keystone to Reading winner; winner of several state Teen Book Awards including the Cricket, Nutmeg and MASL; winner of the Cybils Award, the Eva Perry Mock Printz medal, Dead Letter Best Novel Award, and four Melinda Awards. It became the first of a new series of post-apocalyptic zombie thrillers such as Dust & Decay (winner of a 2011 Bram Stoker Award) Flesh & Bone (winner of a 2012 Bram Stoker Award), Fire & Ash, a collection of short stories, Bits and Pieces, Broken Lands, and Lost Roads, which will be released August 25th, 2020.
Maberry then launched a series called The Nightsiders that blends science fiction with horror. Book 1 of that series, The Orphan Army was named as one the 100 Best Books for Children. A follow-up, Vault of Shadows was published in August 2016.
The series for which Maberry is best known is the Joe Ledger Series, in which a Baltimore police detective is recruited into a Special Ops unit attached to the mysterious Department of Military Sciences, which is run by enigmatic Mr. Church. Each of the books in the series pits Ledger and his team against a different kind of extreme science threat. In the first novel, Patient Zero, the threat is a pathogen that turns people into zombies. In the second book, The Dragon Factory, the villains are geneticists using cutting-edge science to restart the Nazi master race eugenics program. The rest of the series follows with The King of Plagues, Assassin’s Code, Extinction Machine, Code Zero, Predator One, Kill Switch, Dogs of War; and Deep Silence. Maberry recently launched Rage, the first in the follow-up Rogue Team International series, also featuring Joe Ledger. A collection of Maberry’s Joe Ledger short stories, Joe Ledger: Special Ops, was released by JournalStone. The series' main publisher, Griffin, released Joe Ledger: Unstoppable, an anthology of Ledger stories written by a variety of top suspense and mystery writers including Tim Lebbon, Scott Sigler, Steve Alten, Weston Ochse, Dana Fredsti, Christopher Golden, Joe McKinney, Jeremy Robinson, Javier Grillo-Marxuach, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Bryan Thomas-Schmidt, and others.
In 2015 Maberry released a rare standalone novel, Ghostwalkers, based on the Deadlands table top role playing game. The book was nominated for a Scribe Award for best original novel based on a licensed property.
His most recent standalone novel was Glimpse, published in March 2018 by St. Martin's Press. Glimpse is a chilling thriller that explores what happens when reality and nightmares converge, and how far one will go to protect the innocent when their own brain is a threat. Another standalone, Ink, will be released by St. Martin's Griffin as a trade paperback in 2020. Although a standalone, Ink has elements of other books, including characters and locations from the Pine Deep Trilogy, and the appearance of Monk Addison and Patty Cakes from Glimpse.
Maberry is also a prolific editor of anthologies in a variety of genre including dark fantasy (Out of Tune and Out of Tune Vol 2), science fiction/horror (The X-Files: Trust No One, The X-Files: The Truth is Out There, and The X-Files: Secret Agendas, all from IDW Publishing); horror (Nights of the Living Dead, with George A. Romero); mystery pastiche (Alternate Sherlocks, with Michael Ventrella), political thrillers with horror (V-wars, V-Wars: Blood and Fire, V-Wars: Night Terrors, and V-Wars: Shockwaves), and an anthology of horror stories for teens (Scary Out There) which features original stories and poetry by R.L. Stine, Ellen Hopkins, Linda Addision, Ilsa J. Bick, and many others.
In 2017 he published Devil’s Advocate, one of the first two books in the X-Files Origins series. Maberry wrote the story about a young Dana Scully, while colleague Kami Garcia (Beautiful Creatures), wrote Agent of Chaos, a young Fox Mulder story.
Film and television
In April 2018, it was announced that Netflix greenlit a television adaptation of the V-WARS novels and comics. Following the series announcement, it was confirmed that Maberry would be credited as an executive producer and creator for the Netflix series V Wars. Production for the first season began and ended in 2018 for a 10-episode first season. The series premiered on December 5, 2019.
Maberry is a speaker for the National Writers Union, a writing mentor for the Horror Writers Association and the Mystery Writers of America, a member of the International Thriller Writers and president of the NJ-PA Chapter of the Horror Writers Association.
Maberry is also a contributing editor for The Big Thrill, the monthly newsletter of the International Thriller Writers, and a founding partner of The Liars Club, a networking group of professionals in publishing and other aspects of entertainment.
- 2003, Writer's Award, International Martial Arts Hall of Fame
- 2004, Martial Arts Hall of Fame (USA)
- 2006, winner: Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel, for Ghost Road Blues
- 2006, nominated: Bram Stoker Award for Novel, for Ghost Road Blues
- 2007, winner: Bram Stoker Award for Best Non-Fiction for The Cryptopedia
- 2008, nominated: Bram Stoker Award for Best Non-Fiction for Zombie CSU
- 2009, nominated: Bram Stoker Award for Novel, for Patient Zero
- 2010, winner: Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel, for Rot & Ruin
- 2010, nominated: Bram Stoker Award for Best Non-Fiction, for Wanted Undead or Alive
- 2011, winner (tie): Bram Stoker Award for Young Adult Novel, for Dust and Decay
- 2011, nominated: Bram Stoker Award for Best Graphic Novel, for Marvel Universe vs. Wolverine
- 2012, winner: Bram Stoker Award for Best Young Adult Novel, for Flesh & Bone
- 2014, winner: Bram Stoker Award for Best Graphic Novel, for Bad Blood
Pine Deep Trilogy
- Ghost Road Blues (June 2006), Pinnacle Books)
- Dead Man's Song (July 2007), Pinnacle Books
- Bad Moon Rising (May 2008) (final), Pinnacle Books
- Patient Zero (March 2009) St. Martin's Griffin
- The Dragon Factory (March 2010), St. Martin's Griffin
- The King of Plagues (March 2011), St. Martin's Griffin
- Assassin's Code (April 2012), St. Martin's Griffin
- The Extinction Machine (March 2013), St. Martin's Griffin
- Code Zero (March 2014), St. Martin's Griffin
- Joe Ledger: Special Ops (April 2014), JournalStone
- Predator One (March 2015), St. Martin's Griffin
- Kill Switch (April 2016), St. Martin's Griffin
- Dogs of War (2017), St. Martin's Griffin
- Deep Silence (October 2018), St. Martin's Griffin
- The Unlearnable Truths (in Limbus, Inc. - Book 3, July 2016, JournalStone)
Joe Ledger - Rogue Team International Series
- Rage - (November 2019), St. Martin's Griffin
Rot & Ruin series
- Rot & Ruin (September 2010), Simon & Schuster
- Dust & Decay (August 2011), Simon & Schuster
- Flesh & Bone (September 2012), Simon & Schuster
- Fire & Ash (September 2013; Finale), Simon & Schuster
- Bits & Pieces (September 2015; Short Story Collection), Simon & Schuster
Broken Lands series
- Broken Lands - Broken Lands #1/Rot & Ruin #6 (December 2018), Simon & Schuster
- Lost Roads - Broken Lands #2/Rot & Ruin #7 (August 2020), Simon & Schuster
Dead of Night series
- Dead of Night (2011), St. Martin's Griffin
- Fall of Night (2014), St. Martin's Griffin
- Dark of Night (2016; Novella), JournalStone]
- Still of Night (2018), JournalStone
- The Nightsiders: The Orphan Army (2015, Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers)
- The Nightsiders: Vault of Shadows (2016, Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers)
- Devil's Advocate (2017, Imprint/Macmillan)
V-Wars: Chronicles of the Vampire Wars
- V-Wars (editor and principal writer - 2012, IDW Publishing)
- V-Wars: Blood and Fire (editor and principal writer - 2014, IDW Publishing)
- V-Wars: Night Terrors (editor and principal writer - 2016, IDW Publishing)
- V-Wars: Shockwaves (editor and principal writer - 2016, IDW Publishing)
- The Wolfman Movie Novelization (2010, Tor Books)
- Deadlands: Ghostwalkers (October 2010; Tor Books)
- Mars One (2016; Simon & Schuster)
- Indigo (2017; St. Martin's Press)
- Glimpse (2018; St. Martin's Griffin)
- Ink (2020; St. Martin's Griffin)
Anthologies and Collections
|Anthology or Collection||Contents||Publication
|Joe Ledger: The Missing Files||Countdown
|Tales from the Fire Zone||Like Part of the Family
Adventure of the Greenbrier Ghost
|An Apple for the Creature||Spellcaster 2.0||2012||Ace
Jo Fletcher Books
|21st Century Dead
A Zombie Anthology
|Jack and Jill||2012||St. Martin's|
|Hungry Tales||Calling Death
Pegleg and Paddy Save the World
The Wind through the Fence
|Joe Ledger: Special Ops||Countdown
The Handyman Gets Out
Inside the DMS
Interview with Ray Porter
|2014||JournalStone||short story collection|
|Darkness on the Edge of Town: Pine Deep Stories||Long Way Home
Whistlin' Past the Graveyard
|Strange Worlds||The Things That Live in Cages
The Death Song of Dwar Guntha
Plan 7 From Sin City
The Vanishing Assassin
|Whistling Past the Graveyard||Doctor Nine
The Adventure of the Greenbrier Ghost
Flint and Steel
The Death Song of Dwar Guntha
Long Way Home
Whistlin' Past the Graveyard
The Death Poem of Sensei Ōtoro
|Red Dreams and Other Stories||Red Dreams||2016||JournalStone|
|Joe Ledger: Unstoppable||Introduction
|Beneath the Skin: The Case Files of Sam Hunter||2017||JournalStone
|short story collection
|A Wind Through the Fence||Pegleg and Paddy Save the World
Plan 7 from Sin City.
She's Got a Ticket to Ride
The Cobbler of Oz
The Things That Live in Cages
The Vanishing Assassin
The Wind through the Fence
|A Little Bronze Book of Cautionary Tales||Ink
Fat Girl With a Knife
Jingo and the Hammerman
Son of the Devil
- Out of Tune Vol 1 (2014, JournalStone Publishing)
- Out of Tune Vol 2 (2016, JournalStone Publishing)
- X-Files: Trust No One (2015, IDW Publishing)
- X-Files: The Truth is Out There (2016, IDW Publishing)
- X-Files: Secret Agenda (2016, IDW Publishing)
- Scary Out There (2016, Simon & Schuster)
- Joe Ledger: Unstoppable, with Bryan Thomas-Schmidt (2017, Simon & Schuster)
- Baker Street Irregulars, with Michael Ventrella (2017, Diversion Books)
- The Baker Street Irregulars: The Game's Afoot, with Michael Ventrella (2018, Diversion Books)
- Nights of the Living Dead, with George Romero (2017, St. Martin's Griffin)
- Hardboiled Horror (2017, JournalStone Publishing)
- Aliens: Bug Hunt (2018, Titan Books)
- New Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (HarperCollins, 2019)
- The Martial Arts Student Log Book (October 2002)
- Ultimate Jujutsu: Principles and Practices (October 2002)
- Ultimate Sparring: Principles & Practices (January 2003)
- Vampire Universe: The Dark World of Supernatural Beings That Haunt Us, Hunt Us and Hunger for Us (September 2006)
- The Cryptopedia: A Dictionary of the Weird, Strange, and Downright Bizarre (September 2007)
- Zombie CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead (September 2008)
- THEY BITE!: Endless Cravings of Supernatural Predators (August 2008)
- Wanted Undead or Alive: Vampire Hunters and Other Kick-Ass Enemies of Evil (September 2010)
- Judo and You: A Handbook for the Serious Student (Kendall Hunt, 1991, ISBN 0-8403-6664-7)
- MacDougall, Shane (pseudonym) The Vampire Slayers' Field Guide to the Undead (Doylestown, PA: Strider Nolan Publishing, 2003, ISBN 1-932045-13-9)
- Shinowara-ryo Jujutsu: Student Handbook (1994, Vortex Multimedia)
- Shinowara-ryo Jujutsu: A History (1993, Vortex Multimedia)
- Introduction to Asian Martial Arts (1993, Vortex Multimedia)
- Self-Defense for Every Woman (1992, Vortex Multimedia)
- The Joe Ledger Companion, with Dana Fredsti & Mari Adkins (2017, JournalStone)
- Marvel Universe vs. The Punisher (with Goran Parlov, 4-issue limited series, Marvel Comics, October–November 2010, tpb, 112 pages, hardcover, January 2011, ISBN 0-7851-4355-6, softcover, June 2011, ISBN 0-7851-4595-8)
- Marvel Universe vs. Wolverine (with Laurence Campbell, 4-issue limited series, Marvel Comics, June–August 2011, tpb, 112 pages, hardcover, November 2011, ISBN 0-7851-5692-5, softcover, May 2012, ISBN 0-7851-5653-4)
- Marvel Universe vs. The Avengers (with Leandro Fernández, 4-issue limited series, Marvel Comics, December 2012 - March 2013, tpb, 96 pages, softcover, April 2013, ISBN 0-7851-6616-5)
- Rot & Ruin (with Tony Vargas and Alex Roland, continuing series, IDW Publishing, September 2014 - Current)
- Captain America: Hail Hydra (Marvel Entertainment, 2011)
- Klaws of the Panther (Marvel Entertainment, 2011)
- Black Panther: DoomWar (Marvel Entertainment, 2009)
- Black Panther: Power (Marvel Comics, 2009)
- Marvel Zombies Return (Marvel Comics, 2009
- Punisher: Naked Kills (Marvel Comics, 2008)
- Black Panther: Age of Heroes (Marvel Comics, 2011)
- Wolverine: Flies to a Spider (Marvel Comics, 2009)
- Bad Blood Dark Horse Comics, 2014)
- V-Wars: Crimson Queen (IDW Publishing, 2014)
- V-Wars: All of Us Monsters (IDW Publishing, 2015)
- V-Wars: Gods of Death (IDW Publishing, 2019)
- V-Wars: The Collection (IDW Publishing, 2019)
- Road of the Dead: Highway to Hell, Issues 1-3 (IDW Publishing, 2018-2019)
- Road of the Dead: Highway to Hell, Graphic Novel, ISBN 978-1-68405-478-7 (IDW Publishing, 2019)
- Pandemica, Issues 1-3 (IDW Publishing, 2019)
- Pandemica, Graphic Novel Collection (IDW Publishing, June 2020)
- Lullaby, Narrated by Scott Brick, Audible Original, (Audible Studios 2018)
- Atkins, Larry (August 24, 2009). "Jonathan Maberry kicks butt". Philadelphia Weekly. Archived from the original on 2014-09-04. Retrieved August 31, 2014.
- Montes, Sebastian. "Del Mar author Jonathan Maberry's vampire novel 'V-Wars' lands Netflix deal". delmartimes.net. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- "Today's Top 10 Horror Authors". Horror Novel Reviews. 2012-09-02. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- Francis, Naila (October 13, 2013). "Soon-to-be West Coast author Jonathan Maberry braces for his busiest year yet". Bucks County Courier Times.[dead link]
- A New Team for Black Panther Archived June 16, 2012, at the Wayback Machine, IGN, May 11, 2009
- Brownfield, Troy (June 22, 2009). "The Zombies - This Time, With Literate Roots". Newsarama. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- Richards, Dave (May 24, 2010). Marvel Heroes go to war against Doom Archived August 22, 2012, at the Wayback Machine, comicsign.com
- "Maberry Referees 'Marvel Universe Vs. the Punisher'" Archived October 2, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. Comic Book Resources
- "Previous Scribe Award Winners" Archived May 2, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. International Association of Media Tie-in Writers. Retrieved September 29, 2016.
- Liptak, Andrew (2017-06-20). "Indigo is a collaborative superhero novel written by 10 different authors". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 24, 2010). "ABC Puts 5 Projects In Active Development". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- Andreeva, Nellie (April 16, 2018). "Netflix Orders Vampire Drama Series 'V-Wars' Based On Book; Ian Somerhalder To Star". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 26, 2019.
- Aubé, Benjamin (July 25, 2018). "New Netflix series being shot in Sudbury highlights busy summer of filming". CBC Northern Ontario. Retrieved August 24, 2019.
- Pinto, Jordan (April 17, 2018). "Netflix commissions V-Wars". Playback. Retrieved July 13, 2019.
- "Galt's Main Street Bridge closed for filming of Netflix series". CBC Northern Ontario. October 19, 2019. Retrieved July 13, 2019.
- Squires, John (November 19, 2019). "[Trailer] Netflix Unleashes a Vampire Epidemic With New Horror Series "V Wars"". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved November 20, 2019.
- Gelman, Vlada (October 30, 2019). "Ian Somerhalder's Netflix Vamp Drama V Wars Sets Premiere — View Photos". TVLine. Retrieved October 30, 2019.
- Writer profile Archived August 9, 2016, at the Wayback Machine, www.booksnbytes.com
- Big Thrill 2008 October Archives[permanent dead link], www.thrillerwriters.org
- Jonathan Maberry profile at Mystery Writers of America Archived October 1, 2016, at the Wayback Machine, www.mysterywriters.org
- "Past Bram Stoker Nominees & Winners". Horror Writers Association. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- "Joe Ledger: The Missing Files".
- "Tales from the Fire Zone".
- "An Apple for a Creature".
- "21st Century Dead".
- "Hungry Tales".
- "Joe Ledger: Special Ops".
- "Journal Stone".
- "Darkness on the Edge of Town: Stories of Pine Deep".
- "Strange Worlds".
- "Whistling Past the Graveyard".
- "Beneath the Skin: The Case Files of Sam Hunter".
- "A Wind Through the Fence".
- "A Little Bronze Book of Cautionary Tales".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jonathan Maberry.|
- Official website
- Jonathan Maberry at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Jonathan Maberry at the Internet Book List
- Jonathan Maberry at the Grand Comics Database
- Works by or about Jonathan Maberry in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Jonathan Maberry at the Comic Book DB (archived from the original)
- Zombie Research Society Advisory Board
- Interview with Michael A. Ventrella
- Interview with Super Hero Speak
- IDW Publishing
- Marvel Entertainment
- Marvel Comics
- Dark Horse Comics
- JournalStone Publishing
- Diversion Press
- Simon & Schuster
- Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
- Blackstone Audio
- St. Martin's Griffin
- Tor Books
- Pinnacle Books