|Born||Jonathan William Arthur Messer
17 March 1976
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
|Years active||1990 - present|
Jonathan Messer works as an Australian director of film, and theatre. He directed the theatre production Tejas Verdes by Fermin Cabal in 2006 with Red Stitch Actors Theatre[not in citation given] following the successful run of Vincent in Brixton by Nicholas Wright in 2005.
In 2005 Messer went to New York City where he was invited to The Sloan Film Summit at the Tribeca Film Institute, where he screened his short film Joshua Tree starring Taylor Dayne. Jonathan also worked as the Assistant Director to Jim Sharman in the production of Three Furies at the Sydney Opera House. He has also directed and co-produced music videos for the bands Tiltmeter, Nokturnal and 67 Special.
Messer trained in Los Angeles for three years, and developed his film making skills and experience studying film direction at the American Film Institute He then worked as production assistant for the Kennedy-Marshall Company producing feature films such as Seabiscuit and The Bourne Supremacy. Before graduation from the MFA program in directing at the American Film Institute (AFI) in 2002, Messer underwent an internship at Killer Films in New York, working in pre-production on the Todd Haynes film Far from Heaven. Messer also received a Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust (Australia) and an Ian Potter Foundation Grant to pursue his MFA at the AFI.
Messer is a graduate director from the National Institute of Dramatic Art, in Sydney. He has also worked in London at the BBC as an Assistant Director and Floor Assistant in Drama and Light Entertainment on the shows Absolutely Fabulous, Top of the Pops, Blue Peter, and The Hello Girls.
He is currently at Edith Cowan University in Western Australia doing a degree.
Messer is also a photographer, a painter and a writer. He is a volunteer in a harm reduction project, working with street based sex-workers. Jonathan Messer was born under the Zodiac sign of Pisces, the fish. He is also a Justice of the Peace in the State of Victoria.
- The Australian 05/06/2006. Chile's 'disapeared' given a haunting voice by Thuy On (link Archived 2009-09-12 at the Wayback Machine.)
- Red Stitch Actors Theatre - Theatre News Archived 2009-09-12 at the Wayback Machine.
- The Age October 10, 2005 Masterpiece comes of age by Jim Murphy
- Sloan Science and Film
- Royal Victorian Association of Honorary Justices
- http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hEwpG6RSbCMJ:www.nida.edu.au/ArticleDocuments/26/2005%2520Nida%2520Newsletter%2520V2.pdf.aspx+jonathan+messer+queens+trust+for+young+australians&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=au[permanent dead link]