Jonathan Morris (commentator)
Morris in 2006
|Ordination||24 December 2002|
by Leonardo Sandri
|Born||August 22, 1972|
Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.
|Occupation||Catholic priest (former), author, television personality|
Jonathan Morris (born August 22, 1972) is an American author and commentator on religious matters in the media who has been a Fox News contributor and analyst since 2005. He formerly served in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York as a priest. In 2019, he requested dispensation from the clerical state.
Born in Cleveland, Ohio, the third of seven children, Morris studied business administration at Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio, where he served as Vice President of the University Student Government.
At the age of 21 he entered the seminary and studied in Rome, Italy, gaining degrees in the classical humanities, philosophy, and theology. He was ordained a priest in the order of the Legion of Christ in 2002, and continued living and working in Rome. In 2004, he obtained a graduate Licentiate degree in moral theology from Regina Apostolorum Pontifical University, magna cum laude.
In 2009, Morris left the Legion of Christ and joined the Archdiocese of New York as a diocesan priest. He then served as parochial vicar of Basilica of St. Patrick's Old Cathedral in the Soho neighborhood of New York City. In 2013, he was transferred to Corpus Christi Church in Manhattan to serve as a chaplain at Columbia University and to be the Program Director of The Catholic Channel on SiriusXM radio.
|“||struggled for years with [his] vocation and the commitments that the Catholic priesthood demands, especially not being able to marry and raise a family.I have decided to ask the Holy Father, Pope Francis, to release me from the duties and responsibilities of the clerical state (priestly vows). Taking this step is something I have considered often and at length in years past and discussed with my spiritual guides. ... My decision is not about an existing relationship, but rather about the peace and spiritual freedom I trust will come in the future by following God’s will for my life now.||”|
During the final illness of Pope John Paul II in March 2005, and his death the following 5 April, Morris provided reports and analysis for CNN, the Fox News Channel, the BBC, and Sky News, and he was interviewed by Bill Hemmer, Larry King, Shepard Smith, Anderson Cooper, and Christiane Amanpour, among others. Shortly thereafter, Morris received offers from several networks to contribute follow-up reports, and he began working for the Fox News Channel. In accepting the offer to work with the network, he proposed to cover not just Vatican news events, but to also analyze wider news stories from an ethical dimension.
Since April 2005, Morris' work has expanded to include reports beyond the scope of the Vatican. He has been interviewed on several Fox News Channel programs, including Fox & Friends, Dayside, Hannity and Colmes, The Live Desk with Martha MacCallum, and The O'Reilly Factor. He has also contributed to the Fox Business Network and Fox News.com's on-line news roundtable, "The Strategy Room."
Morris began a recurring segment for Fox News Channel's late night news/comedy show Red Eye in May 2009. For this segment, called Father Knows Best, Morris answered questions from viewers on religious and faith-related issues. He was also a regular news contributor for the show. That same year, he also became a contributor to The Wall Street Journal.
In March 2010, Morris was interviewed as a theological adviser for the History Channel special The Real Face of Jesus?, a documentary that followed a team of computer and 3D specialists as they uncovered forensic data from the Shroud of Turin, extrapolating a new picture of the face of the man from the shroud.
Morris has written The Promise: God's Purpose and Plan for When Life Hurts and God Wants You Happy: From Self-Help to God's Help. His newest book is The Way of Serenity: Finding Peace and Happiness in the Serenity Prayer.
- Armstrong, Patti (2014-10-31). "Ministering in the media spotlight". ncregister.com. National Catholic Register. Archived from the original on 2018-07-09. Retrieved 2019-05-19.
- St. Patrick's Old Cathedral Bulletin Archived 2009-12-29 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 27 December 2009[dead link]
- "Bulletin for June 28, 2009" (PDF). St. Patrick's Old Cathedral. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 7, 2012.
- "Meet our Staff". Corpus Christi Church in New York City. Archived from the original on 2013-10-07.
- San Martin, Inés (2019-05-17). "Ex-Legionary, Fox News personality asks to leave the priesthood". cruxnow.com. Crux. Archived from the original on 2019-05-17. Retrieved 2019-05-18.
- Morris, Jonathan (2019-05-17). "Morris statement" (PDF). cruxnow.com. Crux. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2019-05-18. Retrieved 2019-05-18.
- Morris, Jonathan (2019-06-10). "My decision to leave the Catholic priesthood". Fox News.
Cardinal Timothy Dolan, graciously helped me through the first steps of the dispensation process. Upon my request, he has officially suspended my exercise of sacred ministry.
- Behind the Scenes: At the Heart of 'The Passion' April 2, 2004 Retrieved March 2, 2007
- Go Ahead. Be a Hero. Archived 2011-06-09 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved May 27, 2008
- A Different Kind of Miracle on the Hudson Aug. 14, 2009 Retrieved May 19, 2008
- 3D Tech Shows What May be Face of Jesus on Shroud of Turin Retrieved April 16, 2010
- "Father Morris leaves helm of Sirius XM's Catholic Channel". CNS. The Catholic Sun. 12 January 2015. Retrieved 2 April 2015.