Nolan at the Paley Center for Media in 2012
|Other names||Jonah Nolan|
|Alma mater||Georgetown University|
|Occupation||Writer, producer, director|
|Relatives||Christopher Nolan (brother)
Emma Thomas (sister-in-law)
John Nolan (uncle)
Kim Hartman (aunt)
Jonathan "Jonah" Nolan (born 1976) is an English-American screenwriter, television producer, director and author. He is the creator of the science fiction television series Person of Interest (2011–2016) and Westworld (2016–present).
He has collaborated on several films with his brother, director Christopher Nolan, who adapted Jonathan's short story "Memento Mori" (2001) into the film Memento (2000). Together, they co-wrote the mystery thriller The Prestige (2006), the superhero films The Dark Knight (2008) and The Dark Knight Rises (2012), and the epic science fiction film Interstellar (2014).
Nolan's short story "Memento Mori" was used by his elder brother, director Christopher Nolan, as the basis for the film Memento. Although Jonathan received a "based on a story by" credit, not a screenwriting credit, the brothers shared a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay as the film was released before the story was published.
In 2005, Jonathan and Christopher co-wrote the screenplay for The Prestige, which is based on Christopher Priest's novel of the same title. The brothers collaborated on the screenplay for the 2008 film The Dark Knight. The film went on to become the most financially successful Batman film, which has since been surpassed by its sequel, The Dark Knight Rises.
On 10 February 2011, CBS picked up Nolan's pilot Person of Interest. The show was officially picked up by CBS on 13 May 2011 to air in fall 2011. The series ran for five seasons and starred Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson. Nolan served as executive producer along with J. J. Abrams.
Nolan wrote the screenplay for Interstellar, a science-fiction feature based on the works of theoretical physicist Kip Thorne, who served as the film's executive producer. Christopher Nolan co-wrote, directed and produced the film, with Paramount distributing domestically, while Warner Bros. distributed internationally.
Nolan directed the pilot of the science fiction thriller, Westworld for HBO, co-written with Lisa Joy, based on the 1973 film of the same name, which has been picked up to series, & premiered on October 2, 2016. Nolan serves as executive producer along with Joy, J. J. Abrams, Jerry Weintraub, and Bryan Burk.
Jonathan found that having an English accent was very unpopular after moving to Chicago, so he learned to "sound like a good Chicago kid."
When contemplating the artistic differences between him and his brother, Nolan remarked: "I've always suspected that it has something to do with the fact that he's left-handed and I'm right-handed, because he is somehow able to look at my ideas and flip them around in a way that's just a bit more twisted and interesting. It's great to be able to work with him that way."
|2006||The Prestige||Screenplay||With Christopher Nolan, based on the novel by Christopher Priest|
|2008||The Dark Knight||Screenplay||With Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer|
|2009||Terminator Salvation||Uncredited rewrite|||
|2012||The Dark Knight Rises||Screenplay||With Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer|
|2014||Interstellar||Written by||With Christopher Nolan|||
|2011–2016||Person of Interest||Yes||Yes||Yes||Creator; writer (9 episodes), director (1 episode)|||
|2016–present||Westworld||Yes||Yes||Yes||Co-creator; writer (4 episodes), director (2 episodes)|||
- Short fiction
- Flans, Lindsay (2013-06-06). "FilmDistrict's Kimberly Smith Weds, Producer-Director Neil Mandt Engaged: Hitched, Hatched, Hired". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- McGrath, Amanda (17 May 2002). "Class of 2002 Gathers For Senior Convocation". The Hoya. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- White, James (10 September 2010). "Jonah Nolan Pitching TV Crime Thriller". Empire Magazine. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- Taylor, Judd (16 February 2002). "The Memento Screenplay Category Controversy: Memento is an Adapted Screenplay". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Roberts, Sheila. "Jonathan Nolan Interview, The Prestige". Movies Online. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Christopher Nolan: The Movies. The Memories.". Empire Magazine. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- Masters, Kim; Kit, Borys (9 January 2013). "Christopher Nolan in Talks to Direct 'Interstellar' for Paramount and Warner Bros. (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Sperling, Nicole (8 March 2013). "Christopher Nolan's time-travel film 'Interstellar' to bow in 2014". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- Finke, Nikki (8 March 2013). "Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' To Be Paramount-Warner Bros Co-Production And Joint Distribution". Deadline. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- Hayden, Erik (8 March 2013). "It's Official: Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' to be Warner Bros., Paramount Co-Production". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- Gelman, Vlada (31 August 2013). "HBO Greenlights Sci-Fi Pilot Westworld From J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan". TVLine. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- ‘Interstellar's’ Jonah Nolan Developing ‘Foundation’ Series for HBO, WBTV (Exclusive)
- ADMIN (30 June 2010). "Theatre of the Mind: A Christopher Nolan Profile (Part 1)". flickeringmyth.com. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley (14 July 2011). "Comic-Con 2011: 'Person of Interest' EPs Jonathan Nolan and Greg Plageman on Stormtroopers and Spandex (Q&A)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "On The Rise 2014: 13 Screenwriters To Watch". Indie Wire. 19 August 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- King, Larry (15 April 2014). "What Does A Showrunner Bring To A Deserted Island?". YouTube. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- "Is 'Westworld' HBO's Next Big Hit?". New York Times. 29 September 2016.
- Sciretta, Peter (28 April 2009). "Confirmed: Jonathan Nolan Not Credited For Terminator Salvation". Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- Sancton, Julian (27 May 2009). "Did Christian Bale's Seriousness Ruin Terminator Salvation?". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- "Interstellar poster billing block". Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2011-02-10). "CBS Picks Up Jonah Nolan/J.J. Abrams Pilot 'Person Of Interest'". Retrieved 2016-10-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jonathan Nolan.|