Reynolds in 2011
|Shadow Minister for Transport|
17 September 2015 – 6 January 2016
|Member of Parliament
for Stalybridge and Hyde
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||James Purnell|
28 August 1980 |
Houghton-le-Spring, County Durham, England
|Political party||Labour Co-operative|
|Alma mater||University of Manchester
BPP Law School
Jonathan Neil Reynolds (born 28 August 1980)[not in citation given] is a British Labour Co-operative politician who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Stalybridge and Hyde since 2010.
Reynolds served on Labour's National Executive Committee from 2003-05 and until 2011 remained a councillor for Longdendale ward on Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council, having been elected in 2007.
Reynolds worked for four years as a political assistant for the previous Stalybridge and Hyde MP James Purnell and was selected to replace Purnell after a controversial selection process. Aged 29, when first elected, Reynolds was one of the youngest MPs elected at the 2010 election.
Early life and career
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016)|
Born in Houghton-le-Spring to Keith and Judith Reynolds, Jonathan Reynolds moved to Manchester in 1998. Reynolds studied Politics and Modern History at the University of Manchester and BPP Law School (Manchester). After leaving university Reynolds worked for the council and (former MP) James Purnell, before beginning training as a solicitor.
Between 2003 and 2005, Reynolds was the Youth Representative on the Labour Party's National Executive. In 2007, Reynolds was elected to Tameside Council for the ward of Longdendale, Reynolds and his family live in Mottram-in-Longdendale. In the General Election of May 2010, Reynolds was elected as MP for Stalybridge and Hyde. In 2011 Reynolds stood down as councillor, the candidacy was taken up by Gill Peet who was elected in his place, during this year Reynolds did not claim Councillor Allowances.
In Parliament, Reynolds is the Secretary of the All Party Parliamentary Group for the Armed Forces, Vice-Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Manufacturing Group, and Vice-Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Autism. He is also Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Leader of the Opposition, and became a Shadow Minister for Energy and Climate Change in 2013.
After Jeremy Corbyn won the leadership of the Labour party in September 2015, Reynolds was made a Shadow Minister for Transport with responsibility for rail. He resigned the position following Jeremy Corbyn's January 2016 reshuffle, saying he felt he could "best serve the party as a backbencher" and expressing his support for the sacked Pat McFadden.
Reynolds has been a campaigner for the redevelopment of local town centres, particularly Stalybridge, the Mottram-Tintwistle Bypass, for more primary school places in Hyde and for improved rail links in his constituency. He is a supporter of the ongoing Northern Hub rail improvements. His constituency campaigns have included opposition to policing cuts in Tameside.
Reynolds and his wife Claire have three children. Outside politics, his interests include football, films and gardening. He was the winner of the first-time entrant category in the horticulture section at the Mottram Show in 2011.
- The London Gazette: . 13 May 2010.
- Profile, ukwhoswho.com; accessed 9 January 2016.
- Stalybridge and Hyde result, Manchester Evening News, 7 May 2010, accessed 16 May 2010
- "Addleshaws trainee quits firm after becoming Labour MP". Centaur Media plc (The Lawyer). 10 May 2010. Retrieved 15 May 2010.
Jonathan Reynolds was returned for the solidly Labour Stalybridge and Hyde constituency on the edge of Manchester with a majority of 2,700.
- Profile, Democracy Live, BBC, accessed 16 May 2010
- "Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council - Councillors For The Ward of Longdendale". tameside.gov.uk. Retrieved 7 June 2010.
- "Powerbrokers fight for heart and soul of Labour Party as union row escalates", The Times, 17 March 2010; accessed 16 May 2010.
- "TMBC Member Allowances 2011". Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "Labour List". Politics. Labour List. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Register of All Party Groups - Parliamentary Associate Manufacturing Group". Politics. House of Commons. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Parliament.uk". Politics. House of Commons. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Shadow Rail Minister Quits After Reshuffle". Sky News. 6 January 2016. Retrieved 6 January 2016.
- Reynolds, Jonathan (17 September 2015). "Labour's Moderates Need to Understand Jeremy Corbyn". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- "Stalybridge MPea Jonathan Reynolds Grows His Own". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- Jonathan Reynolds MP official constituency website
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Stalybridge and Hyde