Jonathan S. Tobin
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jonathan S. Tobin is the editor in chief of JNS.org, the Jewish News Syndicate. His opinion columns appear there on a daily basis. He is also a contributing writer for National Review, a conservative magazine of opinion and ideas, a columnist for the New York Post, a contributor for The Federalist, a columnist for Haaretz, a columnist for the New York Jewish Week, a contributor to the Gatestone Institute and to the Israeli magazine, MiDA.
He is a frequent commentator on domestic politics, Israel, and Jewish affairs. His column, “View from America,” appeared for many years in The Jerusalem Post. His work has also appeared in Israel Hayom, the Christian Science Monitor, The Forward, Britain's Jewish Chronicle, the New York Sun and many other publications. Tobin lectures widely across the United States on college campuses and to Jewish organizations and synagogues. He tours North America debating political and Jewish issues with J.J. Goldberg of the Forward and has appeared on CNN, BBC Radio, FOX News, Newsmax, i24News and local network affiliates to discuss politics, foreign policy and Jewish issues.
From 2009 to 2011, he was executive editor of Commentary, a neo-conservative monthly magazine. From 2011 to 2017, he was senior online editor and chief political blogger at Commentary and the author of feature articles, reviews and blog posts there. Tobin was executive editor of The Jewish Exponent in Philadelphia from 1998 through 2008. Prior to that he was executive editor of the Connecticut Jewish Ledger.
He has been honored more than 50 times for his opinion columns, editorials, arts criticism and feature writing. He had the unique honor of being named the top editorial columnist and the best arts critic in Philadelphia for the year 2005 by the Society of Professional Journalists.
In 2003, Tobin told an interviewer that Jewish journalism has improved in quality over the last 20 years, but that there are constraints because many American Jewish newspapers are owned by Jewish federations, rather than being independent corporations. This problem, he said, is not different from the problems faced by other newspapers: “Nobody at the Philadelphia Inquirer reports aggressively on Knight-Ridder Corp.” He told an interviewer for the New York Times that “My job as editor is to talk about things people are not willing to talk about." In the same article, the Times wrote that “In his three-year tenure at The Ledger, an independently owned newspaper, Mr. Tobin, a Long Island native, has turned the once-stodgy weekly into a plucky newspaper with stories on abuses at a local Jewish nursing home and domestic violence among Jews.”
Tobin was profiled in the Philadelphia Business Journal on July 26, 2002 (“Faith in the press”) and in Press – the magazine of the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association — in its November 2002 issue (“Exponential Editor”).
In his 2001 book, “Pack of Thieves,” U.S. News & World Report correspondent Richard Chesnoff wrote that Tobin is “one of the most thoughtful figures in American Jewish letters.” In 2006, in the Israeli weekly Yated Ne’eman, columnist Jonathan Rosenblum referred to Tobin as “probably the best writer in the Anglo-Jewish Press.”
Tobin was born in New York City, educated at local schools and studied history at Columbia University.
- "Latest News on Israel & the Jewish World". JNS.org. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- "Jonathan S. Tobin". National Review. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- "Jonathan S. Tobin | New York Post". nypost.com. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- "Jonathan S. Tobin, Author at The Federalist". The Federalist. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- "Writers-Haaretz - Israel News". haaretz.com. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- "Jonathan S. Tobin | Writers | Jewish Week". Jewish Week. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- "Writings by Jonathan S. Tobin". Gatestone Institute. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- "Search for "Jonathan S. Tobin" – Mida". Mida. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- A View From America, The Jerusalem Post[permanent dead link]
- "Goldberg-Tobin Debate « Kolot Management". kolotmanagement.com. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- "Jonathan S. Tobin, Author at Commentary Magazine". Commentary Magazine. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- "You searched for Jonathan S. Tobin - Commentary Magazine". Commentary Magazine. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- dmichaels (2013-07-02). "Exponent Wins City, State, National Awards - Jewish Exponent". Jewish Exponent. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- An Editorial Provokes A Debate on Intermarriage; Jewish Weekly Touches a Nerve in Connecticut, By Jonathan Rabinowitz, July 13, 1995, New York Times, 
- Faith in the press, by Adam Stone, July 26, 2002, Philadelphia Business Journal