|Education||Middle Eastern studies|
|Alma mater||Hebrew University / Emory University / Kings College London|
|Occupation||Author / Vice President, Foundation for Defense of Democracies|
Jonathan Schanzer has worked as a counterterrorism analyst for the Office of Intelligence and Analysis at the U.S. Department of the Treasury. Prior to that, he was a Research Fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. Mr. Schanzer got his start in the policy world as a research fellow at the Middle East Forum, a Philadelphia-based think tank headed by scholar Daniel Pipes. His publications have received numerous professional reviews and have produced various discussions.
Schanzer holds a BA from Emory University and a masters degree from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Middle Eastern studies. Schanzer was a member of Phi Delta Theta while at Emory. He studied Arabic at the American University in Cairo in 2001. He earned his PhD at King's College London. He is a graduate of Lower Merion High School.
Views on Hamas
In a research paper titled "The Talibanization of Gaza: A Liability for the Muslim Brotherhood", Schanzer wrote that while Ismael Haniyeh officially denied that Hamas intended to establish an Islamic emirate, since the 2007 coup, the Gaza Strip has exhibited the characteristics of Talibanization, whereby the Islamist organization imposed strict rules on women, discouraged activities commonly associated with Western or Christian culture, oppressed non-Muslim minorities, imposed sharia law, and deployed religious police to enforce these laws.
Schanzer is a frequent media commentator on issues regarding the Middle East. His work has appeared in The Wall Street Journal Europe, Foreign Policy, Politico, Commentary, American Spectator, New York Post, Jerusalem Post, Weekly Standard, The New Republic and the Philadelphia Inquirer. He has appeared on television channels such as Fox News, Bloomberg, and al-Jazeera.
- "Hamas vs. Fatah: The Struggle for Palestine", Palgrave Macmillan (November 11, 2008) ISBN 0-230-60905-8.
- "Al-Qaeda's Armies: Middle East Affiliate Groups & The Next Generation of Terror", Washington Institute for Near East Policy (October 1, 2004) ISBN 1-56171-884-X.
- "Foundation for Defense of Democracies". Defenddemocracy.org. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- "Muslim Brotherhood". C-SPAN. 21 March 2011. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- Avi Jorisch (2001-09-11). "Review of Al-Qaeda's Armies: Middle East Affiliate Groups and the Next Generation of Terror :: Middle East Quarterly". Meforum.org. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- Daniel Halper (2008-04-10). "Hamas vs. Fatah: The Struggle for Palestine :: Reviewed by Daniel Halper". Schanzer.pundicity.com. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- "Hamas vs. Fatah [Interview with Jonathan Schanzer". Campus Watch. 2008-11-14. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- Bryan Schwatzman (2007-03-08). "Homegrown Pundit Appointed to Think Tank :: Jonathan Schanzer". Schanzer.pundicity.com. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- The Talibanization of Gaza: A Liability for the Muslim Brotherhood. by Jonathan Schanzer. August 19, 2009. Current Trends in Islamist Ideology vol. 9
- Richard, Augustus. "Hamas vs. Fatah: The Struggle For Palestine (9780230609051): Jonathan Schanzer, Daniel Pipes: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- John, Colonel. "Al-Qaeda's Armies: Middle East Affiliate Groups & The Next Generation of Terror (9781561718849): Jonathan Schanzer, Dennis Ross: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2011-05-23.