Jonathan V. Sweedler
Jonathan V. Sweedler
|Alma mater||University of Arizona|
University of California at Davis
|Awards||Beckman Fellow (1993-1994)|
Pittsburgh Analytical Chemistry Award (2007)
Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow (1995)
Ralph N. Adams Award, The Pittsburgh Conference (2012)
Fellow of American Chemical Society (2011)
Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science 2001
|Fields||Chemistry, analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, chemical biology, biophysics, physiology, and neuroscience|
|Institutions||University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign|
|Doctoral advisor||M. Bonner Denton|
Jonathan V Sweedler (born 1961) is an American chemist specializing in bioanalytical chemistry, neurochemistry and cell to cell biology and behavior. He is the James R. Eiszner Family Endowed Chair in Chemistry at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He is also an Elected Fellow to the American Chemical Society, for which he is also the society's Editor in Chief for the journal Analytical Chemistry.
He previously served as director of the Roy J. Carver Biotechnology Center (University of Illinois) and was involved in the genome sequencing of several organisms. Currently his laboratory has facilities in the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology and the Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology at the University of Illinois. His research has led to the discovery of some mammalian neuropeptides.
Serving as the chair of dissertation committees at the University of Illinois, he has graduated approximately 60 students with PhD degrees. As of 2017 his publication record includes 380 journal articles, with an h-index estimated to be in the 60s or 70s.
He graduated with a B.S. in chemistry from the University of California at Davis in 1983 and a PhD from the University of Arizona in 1989. Thereafter, he was an NSF Postdoctoral Fellow at Stanford University with Richard Zare (chemist) and Richard Scheller (neuroscientist) before joining the faculty at the University of Illinois in 1991.
- Jansson, E. T, T. J. Comi, S. S. Rubakhin, and J. V. Sweedler Single Cell Peptide Heterogeneity of Rat Islets of Langerhans ACS Chem. Biol. 11 2016, p. 2588-2595.
- Aerts, J. T, K. R. Louis, S. R. Crandall, G. Govindaiah, C. L. Cox, and J. V. Sweedler Patch Clamp Electrophysiology and Capillary Electrophoresis–Mass Spectrometry Metabolomics for Single Cell Characterization Anal. Chem. 86 2014, p. 3203–3208.
- Wang, T. A, Y. V. Yu, G. Govindaiah, X. Ye, L. Artinian, T. P. Coleman, and J. V. Sweedler Circadian Rhythm of Redox State Regulates Excitability in Suprachiasmatic Nucleus Neurons Science 337 2012, p. 839–842.
- Hummon, A. B, T. A. Richmond, P. Verleyen, G. Baggerman, J. Huybrechts, M. A. Ewing, E. Vierstraete, S. L. Rodriguez-Zas, L. Schoofs, G. E. Robinson, and J. V. Sweedler From the Genome to the Proteome: Uncovering Peptides in the Apis Brain Science 314 2006, p. 647–649.
- Rubakhin, S. S, R. W. Garden, R. R. Fuller, and J. V. Sweedler Measuring the Peptides in Individual Organelles with MALDI Mass Spectrometry Nat. Biotechnol. 18 2000, p. 172–175.
- "CAS Fellows Archive". Center for Advanced Study, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- "Neurokemiseminarium". su.se. August 31, 2017. Retrieved October 8, 2017.
- "Jonathan V. Sweedler, Chemistry at Illinois". illinois.edu. December 20, 2017. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Jonathan V. Sweedler". October 7, 2017.
- "Jonathan V. Sweedler". acs.org. Retrieved October 8, 2017.
- (based on citations in the Google Scholar and Web of Science databases)
- "Jonathan V. Sweedler". illinois.edu. Retrieved October 8, 2017.
|This biographical article about an American chemist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|