Jonathan Wilson (writer)
|Born||9 July 1976|
Jonathan Mark Wilson (born 9 July 1976) is a British sports journalist and author who writes for a number of publications, including The Guardian and Sports Illustrated. He is a columnist for World Soccer and Unibet and founder and editor of The Blizzard. He also appears on The Guardian's football podcast, "Football Weekly".
Wilson studied English at Oxford University and was sports editor of the student paper, The Oxford Student. He was unable to continue on to postgraduate studies at Oxford after just missing out on a first-class degree and instead read for a Master's degree at Durham University, where he was a member of the Graduate Society.
Wilson has written for The Independent, FourFourTwo magazine and The Daily Telegraph, and was football correspondent for the Financial Times from 2002 to 2006. He writes for The Guardian and Sports Illustrated and is a columnist for World Soccer.
Wilson was the main contributor to a feature on The Guardian website, "The Question", in which he analyzes modern trends and evolutions in football. "The Question" has included articles on the decline of the box-to-box midfielder, the importance of the modern full-back and the evolution of the defensive striker. He is currently the main football columnist for The Observer.
His book, Inverting the Pyramid was shortlisted for the William Hill Sports Book of the Year in 2008, and won 'Best Football Book' at the British Sports Book Awards in 2009. Five of his other books have also been shortlisted for the award. Inverting the Pyramid also won the Premio Antonio Ghirelli and was shortlisted for the German football book of the year award.
His book, "Angels with Dirty Faces" won "Best Football Book" and "Best Historical Book" at the Polish Sports Book Awards (Sportowa Książka Roku) in 2018.
- Behind The Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football (2006)
- Sunderland: A Club Transformed (2007)
- Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics (2008)
- The Anatomy of England (2010)
- Brian Clough: Nobody Ever Says Thank You: The Biography (2011)
- The Outsider: A History of the Goalkeeper (2012)
- The Anatomy of Liverpool (2013)
- Angels With Dirty Faces: The Footballing History of Argentina (2016)
- The Anatomy of Manchester United: A History in Ten Matches (2017)
- The Barcelona Legacy: Guardiola, Mourinho and the Fight For Football's Soul (2018)
- The Names Heard Long Ago: How the Golden Age of Hungarian Soccer Shaped the Modern Game (2019)
- "Jonathan Wilson - Ancestry.com". www.ancestry.co.uk. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- Jonathan Wilson profile Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- Jonathan Wilson article archive at Sports Illustrated Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- Styles, Matt; Hill Lopez-Menchero, Tomas (8 February 2020). "Jonathan Wilson: "Football is an incredibly broad church and that's a great thing"". Palatinate. Retrieved 15 February 2020.
- About The Blizzard Archived 29 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- "The Question" Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- How not to look like a prize idiot: the uncertain journey of a shortlisted author
- "British Sports Book Awards – Previous Winners". Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- Polish Sports Book Awards 2018 – Winners
- Authors Cricket Club (2013). The Authors XI: A Season of English Cricket from Hackney to Hambledon. London: Bloomsbury. ISBN 978-1-4088-4045-0.