Jonathan Worth (photographer)
Jonathan Worth is a British portrait photographer. He has worked for the New York Times, New Scientist magazine, Universal Music and Vogue amongst others. His shot-list includes musicians, sports stars and Hollywood actors like Jude Law, Colin Firth and Casey Affleck. In 2009 Worth pioneered two free and open undergraduate photography classes at Coventry University Department of Media and Communication. He is a fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA).
Life and work
In 2009 Worth pioneered two open and free undergraduate photography classes called #picbod (Picturing the Body) and #phonar (Photography and Narrative). These classes have drawn large audiences and notable people including Elinor Carucci, Pete Brook and Professor David Campbell. in 2010 the world's first free 'class application' was launched on iPhone for the #picbod class. These open classes have brought Worth significant attention from photography academics and external organizations.
In 2010 Worth was made a fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA) for "innovation and influential role in developing new business models for photographers using the social web".
- 1998: Family, iD - European traveling group exhibition.
- 1998: Boys aged 11 to 16, Paul Smith, London.
- 1999: Beyond Price, iD - European traveling group exhibition.
- 2000: John Kobal Portrait award, National Portrait Gallery, London.
- 2000: Thirty Under Thirty, Photo District News – USA traveling group exhibition.
- 2002: Footballers, Paul Smith, Tokyo, Japan.
- 2002: Footballers, Royal Exchange, London.
- 2005: Dancers Part 1, Saltburn, Lancashire.
- 2005: Editorial work 1998–2004, Picture House Gallery, Leicester.
- 2006: Kybosh, Picture House Gallery, Leicester.
- 2007: Darbar – South Asia Musicians, Leicester.
- 2008: Portraits, Thompson’s Gallery London.
The following public collections hold work by Worth:
- Use the Creative Commons to nurture photojournalists from boingboing
- Jonathan Worth tries out a copy-friendly photography business-experiment from boingboing
- The Digital Media Learning Hub
- 'Free online class shakes up photo education' from Wired Magazine
- Photography and Open Education from BBC
- How the Power of Open can benefit photographers from The Telegraph (Newspaper)
- An Interview With Jonathan Worth
- 'The research lab in your pocket; Apps and the Academy' from the Times Higher Education Magazine
- 'Turn on, Tune in to Phonar' from Professional Photographer Magazine
- An Interview with Jonathan Worth from the Shpilman Institute for Photography
- "Jonathan Worth for the New York Times"
- "Jonathan Worth client list"
- "Jude Law shot by Jonathan Worth"
- "Jonathan Worth in PDN 30 under 30, 2000"
- "Professional Photographer magazine, world first class in an app"
- "BJP, Photography class opens its door to the world"
- "University Business, World first class in an iPhone app"
- "PDN, Photography course offered free, online"
- "Jonathan Worth collected by National Portrait Gallery"